Agnostic.com

21 2

Bible verses that still bother you.

Tomorrow night we’re starting a new series on troubling Bible verses. The kind that still cause fear or anxiety for non-Believers.

Any suggestions?

Jerry_DeWitt 4 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a non-believer I'm not concerned about any of it.

However, I am concerned about what the believers believe! If they take literally Luke 19: 27 " Bring non-believers before me and slay them", then we're in trouble.

"Christ! Protect me from your followers!" 😀

Not fear or anxiety, but puzzlement for sure.
Judges 19:22-29, where a band of men beat on the door of an old man’s house demanding that he turn over to them a male house guest so that they may “know” him. Instead, the old man offers his virgin daughter and his guest’s concubine (wife): “Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine; let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing.” The guest then pushes his concubine out to the rapists and they abuse her all night, leaving her ravaged lifeless body at the doorstep of the house. Upon finding his concubine dead, her husband took her home and dismembered her, by cutting her body into 12 parts and sending them throughout the country.... This just leaves me puzzled as to what to make of it.

It has always puzzled me how that story got left in! It's a good one for pointing out to fundamentalists and asking them what they think God's message is, here.

I'm with you on this one.

None... Don't care

Holy crap! I did not know you were here! You actually helped me to have a preacher open up to me. I referred him to The Clergy Project! He said he did make contact and I of course asked no questions. Where are you starting this series? Please put more info in your Bio. You are more than welcome to self promote here. This is what this site is about helping people and that is what you do. Please make a post about your story or post a link. Actually you are one among many that has inspired me to start my youTube channel compelledunbeliever.

My greatest fear was What if I'm wrong and do go to hell. It was difficult for me to actually admit to myself that I did not believe. I could not say it aloud for years.

No scripture causes me "fear or anxiety."

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
28 “If a man finds a young woman who is a virgin, who is not betrothed, and he seizes her and lies with her, and they are found out, 29 then the man who lay with her shall give to the young woman’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife because he has humbled her; he shall not be permitted to divorce her all his days.

Nothing in the Bible to cause me fear or anxiety. I still love a lot of the poetry in the Bible, though. Particularly the King James version.

Bible verses that still bother me. Most of them. Yes, most of them.

I like that question, but I think none still bother me. However, there are plenty of verses that I still like very much--especially from the Psalms, Proverbs, some from Isaiah, and much from the "red letter" passages of the New Testament. And hey, who among us heathen finds fault with the Song of Solomon!!?!

Actually, none of the Bible verses cause me any fear and anxiety. If I become engrossed in a movie such as Silence of the Lambs, I may have some anxiety and possibly clear. If I were to read the book, I don't think I would have any anxiety. I get fear and anxiety from reading the accounts such as the news from Arizona that they are deleting the word "evolution" from the education system. I don't get fear and anxiety from reading the Bible where it talks about rape, murder, and genocide. I remember that the Bible is not history, it is fable to make Christ who possibly never existed and Moses who probably never existed seem like Heroes.

Judge not lest ye be judged

The whole bible bothers me. Lol.

Any passage that involves the punishment the innocent.
There are a lot of these in the bible.

For me the bible is irrelevant.

Most of them.

Why should any bible verse bother a non-believer? We are non-believers and anything and everything in the bible is total nonsense.

It depends on the non-believer. Religion wrecked my life and caused depression. The Bible does affect my life as I live in the U.S.A. and it is constantly refered to...by verse.

@DavidLaDeau I interpret what you say that you still have not let go of what the bible tries to teach and that it just might be true. If that is the case, I would say you might be an agnostic theist. IMHO

@jlynn37 No I do not believe that any of it is true, nor do I hold on to it. I am daily affected by Bible verses due to the people around me. I am a strong atheist- I do not believe there is a God.

Because the Screaming Believers want to force it down your throat! and subject you to it!

I have always been fascinated with what people will believe and how that belief, the groupthink belief, can build enormous monuments, induce genocide, sponsor invention. It's not limited to religion but it is predominantly a religious affair. I have read the bible for hours for decades. I've never gone to church outside of a funeral or wedding. But I love to read the bible and other religious "books". I'm not anxious about any of the writings because I consider them to be fables. But I am literally frightened by the thought people still believe these books are the word of God and are to be obeyed and followed in the strictest terms. Dogma's of any kind are dangerous. I just get a thrill out of talking to people and reading about different beliefs. I'm always is astounded, dumbfounded, and confused and I get plain giddy about it. How? How????? You gott'a be kidding me. Really? Just amazing but very frightening.

Nope. Never read it and have no intention to.

No, nor Harry Potter

KenG Level 6 May 23, 2018

The one's that the Christofacists ignore. The ones that they focus on obsessively. The ones that contradict sound science that they focus on obsessively.
Hey, I did what I considered to be a very good bible study, I still have the literature BTW, many years ago...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.