Agnostic.com

2 0

Artificial evolution?

I am just a curious person who asks questions because I never want to stop leaning something new. With that being said a question because I know that there is someone out there that has made this their field of studied or are experts in similar fields. So then with respect to the breeding of animals; Lets use the canine as an example. Is the genetic engineering of dogs, through selective breeding, to accentuate a desired trait such as superior smell or size or even just being cute a form of artificial evolution? Or is it something different?

LibrePenseur 7 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Darwin kind of talked about this in his book. That’s why he introduces the concept of “Natural” selection as a hidden force that develops as a fallout from the competitive nature of survival. In particular I recall that he discusses at length the selective pressure on pigeons by pigeon fanciers who bred their birds over many generations to develop certain traits that they wanted. He then went on to extend this idea and suggest that in the wild there is also a selective breeding process that occurs that has a similar effect but of course is not driven by the whims of people. In a very real sense selective breeding programmes do drive evolution within domesticated animals and plants. For really the same reasons. The most desirable traits drive success in breeding.

Thank you very much. I'm going to have to read The Origin of Species. Darwin was a man a head of his time. Hard to believe that his work was published in 1859.

its evolution still its just engineered instead of happening in nature

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88053
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.