Agnostic.com

52 5

Is there such thing as a soul mate?

• 16 votes
  • 52 votes
  • 21 votes
Admin 9 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love is an encounter... You can have that encounter with more than one being in this world.

true story.

...and count your blessings (is such a trite saying allowed on an agnostic site?) such is so!

There are many great loves that people have throughout their lives, each propelling a person to the next stage of growth. Occasionally people are lucky enough to meet someone they are compatible with to spend their entire lives, but that does not invalidate the shorter loves that other people experience. That one love is more true than another diminishes the reality of how beautiful each love is and how grateful we should be for each experience.

If you look at a soulmate as somebody who you have awesome chemistry with, then yes, soulmates exist. Not in a spiritual sense.

Like minded (Brain chemistry) people are more interesting to each other because they are able to think in a similar way ( abstract vs concrete for example)

The way i see it .. We have numerous Soulmates in our lifetime. Soulmates are simply people with whom we connect on a very deep, meaningful level. The relationship can last 20 minutes, 20 days, or an entire Lifetime.

No, I don't think there is. I hear some reference the fact that because there is not soul, there are no soul mates to be had. I say that the idea of the "soul mate" is merely an unrealistic romanticized notion of what a relationship aught to be. The problem is that the requirements for a match to fit the label are not truly attainable, at least not in an enduring sense. The idea that you aught to be able to know what eachother are thinking and wanting with a glance rather than through deliberate conversation, for example, isn't a sustainable way to have a healthy relationship. Yes, you may feel that you're on the same wavelength right now (it's the raging chemicals in your body I tell you), but at some point you need to learn how to properly communicate. How to have productive arguments. Arguing, discussing, the nittygritty of a relationship are not part of the idea of the "soul mate". Soul mate does not exist outside of its own definition.
That does not, however mean that loving, fruitful relationships do not exist. I'm not a pessimist in this respect by any means. They do exist. They just require more work than our romantic ideal. Worth it, in the end, I think.

Much better than my reply, but basically what I was trying to say. I have the tendency to ramble, so yeah... your reply is an infinitely better version of my comment XD

The closest being ever, in my life, has been my dog - really. I think they are evolutionary primed to have extra ordinary senses that relate to utter intimacy. They know us far better than we can know ourselves.

Depends how yoy define soul mate.

People typically think of a soul mate as someone who is also a sexual partner. That's not always true. I consider my youngest daughter my soul mate. We have a connection that's beyond all others. To speak in the vernacular, "we vibe."

Several. Choose wisely.

I don't you choose them or they you. They just are.

While I think you can meet someone and feel it so deeply, i don't believe there is just one 'soul' mate.

Everyone else here seems to be focused on the 'soul' part, lmao

I believe that a ‘Soulmate’ is a person in which you share similar energies.
Soulmates are true friends that laugh a lot and talk for hours, and it’s always effortless and energizing.
Soulmates match and complement your own peace beautifully. They love each other are always connected. They can be family members, lovers, friends or siblings that provide you with company and mutual support.
We may have many soulmates to appear in the right periods during our lives so that we never feel lonely.
When soulmates marry one another they can have happy reciprocal relations with minimal arguments and no ego issues where both feel seen and heard.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Here we go again folks. Why put perameters on ourselves?? Why limit ourselves to ONE person....for eternity! Jesus Christ!! To believe we have a soul mate forces us to believe we have a SOUL and therefore a creator, a Higher Power. I reject that as I do in the belief there is a pink unicorn standing at my front door this very minute. What a limiting belief!

I like how you think. Food for thought.

To begin with- what is a soul? Secondly, why does it need a mate? If our soul is some part of our spirit, personality, experiences that continues without the body, then it would seem that that part of us would be made for freedom, growth, and constant change. It is outside of physical constraints. Why would it be tied to one other soul? It seems that there are many souls that could enrich each other soul's experience. Certainly we have better rapport with certain people, and we find being around certain people easier, but if there is such a thing as a soul how could it its entirety be limited by these factors of attraction in our material world. It seems to me that the concept of soul mate is a way for us to have certainty and acceptance of the societal norm of marriage for life. Which is not a bad thing, but does not do justice to the unlimited potential for connection and creativity each human has.

Wow did you get philosophic with your bad self! You lost me fella! LOL In AA we say, "KISS" it stands for Keep it Simple Stupid!

oh boy, whew! same as what Ms.DebraJill190 said, "you lost me there fella!" . . . for me, "KISS" stands for, w/apologies to Ms.DebraJill190, Keep It Short and Simple . . . and for Ms.Lonely, yes, I agree with you comment . . . aaaaaand somebody pls tell me how to reply to a reply/comment ! ! !

SonnyMIaPH To reply to a reply you do exactly what you did. Name then response. I know no other way

I like your comment. Again food for thought. Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that the term "soul-mate" originated with the greeting card companies.

KISS also stands for Keep It Simple Stupid or as I reword it personally to make more sense without being in the least offensive, Keep It Stupid Simple. We also had this addage in my computer programming class.

Probably not. I think it's more of a combination of finding someone Closely compatible with you while also attempting to fill in the areas you don't work well together In (and them doing the same). I'd defenitely say some people work better together than others, but having a single person you were destined to be with sounds like a bit of a stretch.

It is my personal belief that when a human meets another of its own species that it can identify with on many levels of the conscious mind that the power and "Law of attraction" meets a bound that is without boundary within its matching for mating compatibilities. I also believe that, indeed, astrology has much to do with this.

Astrology? For real???

Hmmmm!

science and religion are giving this thing called astrology a hard look nowadays

First, one would have to answer if souls even exist.

it depends on the definition

Since I do not believe we have "souls", my logic concludes there can be no "soul mates". What we have is compatibility. The more two people have in common, the more they have to share with each other as mates. Religion of course .. being a doozy! Perhaps this site will be helpful finding that compatibility?
Curious why my photo did not upload though. Does it need approval or is it operator error?

I've seen no evidence of a soul and believe that people can feel a sense of deep kindredness with any one of a number of people.

The term is problematic, for sure, for those of us who don't believe there's a soul.

One would need to demonstrate the existence of a 'soul' first.

Since most of us don't believe in a soul, a soulmate is an empty term. However, we might find a partner whose resonance is much the same, and that's a good end to hope for.

I think there are a good number of people who could be the right ones. The problem is finding them. I think when we immediately hit it off some believe it must be because of some divine or universal intervention.

I used to think so, but for me, it's no longer something I believe in. I do think people can "click" and that is good enough for me.

Perhaps; it depends on how it's defined. If you mean someone who is strong where you're weak, and vice versa, there could several people that meet that criteria. If by soul mate you mean someone with similar views, interests, and differences that keeps the relations interesting and fresh; possibly, but again, there could be many, rather than just one. Then again, how do we really know when and if it's the right person, the right time. Perhaps our best bet is to make an educated guess, and hopefully our growth/change patterns are consistent with our soul mate, otherwise we may add to the divorce rate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.