Agnostic.com

52 5

Is there such thing as a soul mate?

• 16 votes
  • 52 votes
  • 21 votes
Admin 9 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

in the sense that its someone who can help you become a better person or enjoy life more, yeah i think so

I've seen no evidence of a soul and believe that people can feel a sense of deep kindredness with any one of a number of people.

While I think you can meet someone and feel it so deeply, i don't believe there is just one 'soul' mate.

Everyone else here seems to be focused on the 'soul' part, lmao

I'm Objective about us having or being a Soul. How things work in life confuse the heck out of me. I just can not find cooperation with it in my Life. So? Maybe? It does need some better understanding about such things.

The term is problematic, for sure, for those of us who don't believe there's a soul.

One would need to demonstrate the existence of a 'soul' first.

I believe that a ‘Soulmate’ is a person in which you share similar energies.
Soulmates are true friends that laugh a lot and talk for hours, and it’s always effortless and energizing.
Soulmates match and complement your own peace beautifully. They love each other are always connected. They can be family members, lovers, friends or siblings that provide you with company and mutual support.
We may have many soulmates to appear in the right periods during our lives so that we never feel lonely.
When soulmates marry one another they can have happy reciprocal relations with minimal arguments and no ego issues where both feel seen and heard.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Since most of us don't believe in a soul, a soulmate is an empty term. However, we might find a partner whose resonance is much the same, and that's a good end to hope for.

I think there are a good number of people who could be the right ones. The problem is finding them. I think when we immediately hit it off some believe it must be because of some divine or universal intervention.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I thought I found one years ago, but I was wrong

The way i see it .. We have numerous Soulmates in our lifetime. Soulmates are simply people with whom we connect on a very deep, meaningful level. The relationship can last 20 minutes, 20 days, or an entire Lifetime.

I don't believe in a soul. so I don't believe so.

A soul-mate? Maybe for a lucky few. The vast majority think they may have found their yin or yang, only to be disappointed. Certainly, I have never found this person. My only loving and lasting relationships have been with my pets. I have friends and a sibling who love me, so that will have to sustain me until I leave this earth.

Well, souls would have to exist for there to be soulmates. However, if by "soulmate" you mean someone that matches you on every level, that you click with instantly, I would say maybe. I think there are examples of that but I also don't believe that means that this instant connection needs to be a romantic relationship.

In my younger days, I believe the saying that there is someone out there for everyone. I realize now that just like religion, it was a saying to pacify us. I'm not opposed to having a soulmate but I don't think it's realistic. Just looking at the divorce rate has to make a person question whether soulmates exist.

Those that don't believe in a soulmate haven't ever found one.
Once you have made that connection with another person you have a reference for everyone else.

I can agree with you, and it is obvious that you have made that connection. Congratulations and count yourself lucky because you are a minority.

I used to think so, but for me, it's no longer something I believe in. I do think people can "click" and that is good enough for me.

I don't think so. Many people would consider it comforting if everyone did have a soul-mate, but the idea just isn't a realistic one. To those who say it is, please explain the many couples who get divorces, break up, fall out of love, etc. Do only some of us have a soul-mate? Who chooses, and on what basis, who to pair us with? The idea starts to crumble the more you think about it, especially if you're not religious.

I agree with you whole-heartedly, just have a problem with your age. Judging by your picture, you are a handsome young man in your prime. You still have time on your side to find that special someone. Keep yourself open to the possibility.

enlightenedcan: Yes, I'm still early 20's. I wasn't saying that it is impossible for people to find someone they can genuinely love and form a lasting relationship with; I was just saying that this isn't very common. No relationship is perfect, like nothing else on Earth is perfect. Can some people be truly happy with someone else? Of course. But to say that there's a "soul mate" out there for these people I see as an oversimplification.

First, you would need to define soul mate. I would assume you're referring to a supernatural spiritual soul. Is there a person out there who is maximally compatible with me? Sure, but I wouldn't call her a soul mate unless you defined soul mate as maximally compatible.

Perhaps; it depends on how it's defined. If you mean someone who is strong where you're weak, and vice versa, there could several people that meet that criteria. If by soul mate you mean someone with similar views, interests, and differences that keeps the relations interesting and fresh; possibly, but again, there could be many, rather than just one. Then again, how do we really know when and if it's the right person, the right time. Perhaps our best bet is to make an educated guess, and hopefully our growth/change patterns are consistent with our soul mate, otherwise we may add to the divorce rate.

Love is an encounter... You can have that encounter with more than one being in this world.

true story.

...and count your blessings (is such a trite saying allowed on an agnostic site?) such is so!

Here we go again folks. Why put perameters on ourselves?? Why limit ourselves to ONE person....for eternity! Jesus Christ!! To believe we have a soul mate forces us to believe we have a SOUL and therefore a creator, a Higher Power. I reject that as I do in the belief there is a pink unicorn standing at my front door this very minute. What a limiting belief!

I like how you think. Food for thought.

To begin with- what is a soul? Secondly, why does it need a mate? If our soul is some part of our spirit, personality, experiences that continues without the body, then it would seem that that part of us would be made for freedom, growth, and constant change. It is outside of physical constraints. Why would it be tied to one other soul? It seems that there are many souls that could enrich each other soul's experience. Certainly we have better rapport with certain people, and we find being around certain people easier, but if there is such a thing as a soul how could it its entirety be limited by these factors of attraction in our material world. It seems to me that the concept of soul mate is a way for us to have certainty and acceptance of the societal norm of marriage for life. Which is not a bad thing, but does not do justice to the unlimited potential for connection and creativity each human has.

Wow did you get philosophic with your bad self! You lost me fella! LOL In AA we say, "KISS" it stands for Keep it Simple Stupid!

oh boy, whew! same as what Ms.DebraJill190 said, "you lost me there fella!" . . . for me, "KISS" stands for, w/apologies to Ms.DebraJill190, Keep It Short and Simple . . . and for Ms.Lonely, yes, I agree with you comment . . . aaaaaand somebody pls tell me how to reply to a reply/comment ! ! !

SonnyMIaPH To reply to a reply you do exactly what you did. Name then response. I know no other way

I like your comment. Again food for thought. Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that the term "soul-mate" originated with the greeting card companies.

KISS also stands for Keep It Simple Stupid or as I reword it personally to make more sense without being in the least offensive, Keep It Stupid Simple. We also had this addage in my computer programming class.

I think it's a Cinderella dream pushed upon us by a non-logical world.

Probably not. I think it's more of a combination of finding someone Closely compatible with you while also attempting to fill in the areas you don't work well together In (and them doing the same). I'd defenitely say some people work better together than others, but having a single person you were destined to be with sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.