Agnostic.com

17 4

How do you deal with people who don't respect facts in a discussion?

memetolva 4 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Avoid them.

BD66 Level 8 Dec 17, 2017

If they don't want to listen I walk away.

I get frustrated and start yelling, then I insult them.

Hope this helps.

Most people do not listen so a good way is to start out saying something absurd like are your shoes are on backwards when they look to see if this is correct hit them with the statement you want them to hear. If that doesn't work you could try a spinning back kick that could get you arrested but I would bet your point would be absorbed . Just joshing about the karate move but some people are extra stubborn.

Elect them president?

Boom!

Question their intelligence.

No. Take the high road. Walt away with dignity.
They lose.

I’m sorry, I’m too cantankerous for that.

End the discussion with the statement, "If you are not going to deal with facts, this discussion is over."

Sometimes you can't, but by them you have all ready realized your wasting your breath.

You dont. Just ignore and move on. Be the better person.

It is amazing... I may offer something like... it’s true, I heard it on fox news, I’m surprised you didn’t see/hear all about it. You may want to be selective who hears you say that, be ready to give a wink wink.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 17, 2017

Never argue with stupid people, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.-Mark Twain
You can't win.

You can't.they have to come to a realisation by themselves.people are inclined to cherry pick only what backs their world view up.it's called confirmation bias and we all have it to some degree.

I try to convince them that voting is a waste of time

I don't. It's a primitive nature for some to resist mentally redevelopment of their opinions.

I divorce them.

Duke Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

Social media arguments with entrenched political or religious opposites are seldom worth the time or effort, but there have been rare instances when I may have scored a point - when the conversation was respectful. I think it's a better use of time to try influencing someone who is not an entrenched opposite.

Some social/political research shows that facts do not change people as much as do stories about human experiences that carry an emotional message. Understanding the life experience of someone (undocumented immigrant, welfare recipient, atheist, ...) opens minds better than facts and figures.

Political and religious viewpoints do seem to have a core emotional basis. (E.g., fear in political conservatives; compassion in liberals)

In the advent of alternative facts it is nearly impossible to have a meaningful discussion with anyone that holds views basis upon them...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8911
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.