Agnostic.com

18 4

Who has seen Bill Maher's documentary, Religilous? And, if you have, what is your opinion?

Rickster 5 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was awesome, but in the beginning of the movie when he was in North Carolina talking to the truckers and that one big huge trucker took it personally because Bill was asking simple questions about Christianity and stormed out, I've met a few like that and some are violent when you question their sky daddy, overall it was informative and funny.

It makes some good points but is frequently really sloppy in its scholarship.

There is a segment that compares Jesus to some other god, I think it was Horus. Regardless of which comparison it was (there are several out there "on the shelf" he could have used), it was completely bullshit from a long debunked pseudo-academic.

Bill's heart is in the right place, but he sucks at applying consistent skepticism. For instance, his anti-vaxx stance is just another example of the same problem.

Islam is indeed the worst of them all. It is the only "modern" religion that kills the infidels and declares jihad. If you think that it is only a minority, think again. I an prove that it is a belligerent religion.

[norealgod.com]

I really enjoyed it. Even though I think Maher is a complete asshole.

This was a hilarious documentary!

LizL Level 5 Jan 30, 2018

I liked it, I liked the Jesus theme park...Evangelilical Christians are who got Trump in office...they are crazy and not very bright. Easy for all the comediens to pick on them.

It was my first time in seven years in a movie theater. The place was packed. According to the comments after the movie (local pub) it was an eye opener for many of viewers.

I love Bill Maher as a liberal freethinker. The documentary is awesome especially the expose on the Holyland in Orlando, FL.

I thought he did a good job on it. We can't make a judgement call on any subject until we have many perspectives to ponder on? At least, I can't. I'm of an inquisitive Mind. Forever contemplating. Largely what has lead me to this point.

Tongue in cheek at times. Confrontational at times. But over all, it pointed out how crazy religion often is.

Had he done it in a matter of fact way, it would have been better for us here, but would have made less money at the box office. (Already did poorly there.) Bill Nye the science guy already points out things in a very dry way.

I thought it was funny, but the points were a bit shallow for my tastes. I heard an interview of him and someone else involved in producing the movie on NPR and that was actually more interesting to me. But for what the movie is, it's all right.

I thought it could have been better. He relied too much on emotional arguments that could have been better served with fact-based ones. ("Fact-based", I can say that here, right?) 🙂

let me review that banned word list

I loved it except where he singled out Islam specifically as worse than all of the other religions.

It's been awhile but I recall finding it very entertaining.

Well thought out for the most part and well presented throughout. Maher has a way of getting obnoxious at times and that showed up in a couple of instances, but those of us with any experience with him expect that. I was pleasantly surprised that he was able to maintain his cool as much as he did. Nice piece of documentary work with almost all of the loose ends neatly tied by the end.

Excellent movie

I enjoyed it. There are some points in which he is completely obnoxious. But, really, should we expect any less from Bill?

Loved it thought it was great, and a bit hilarious at times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.