Agnostic.com

16 3

QUESTION A Doctor Built a Machine That Helps People Die - Tonic

I don't know why anyone needs this contraption. A suicide bag seems just as effective, and a whole lot easier. Still, what does everyone think? Is suicide any rational/sane person's right? Would you ever consider suicide as a viable end of your own life?

resserts 8 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What if life simply no longer holds any joy. Just a struggle every day ? Every morning life is a pack of wild dogs after you. ?

It should be a personal right to end your own life. The only problems I see is if you thought there was no other way and there really was one. That is the dilemma. Counseling should apply but not of the religious kind.

Yes and its legal here, it is called a MAID death, "Medical Assistance In Dying" and its very common. I'm a funeral director and we get several of these folks a month. If you have a terminal illness,, you have an opportunity to die with dignity, with your loved ones WITH you when you die. SO many people die alone in the middle of the night, this gives them the chance to have your chosen friends and family with you, play your favorite music, etc.. I just had a client who rented a hotel room in town, a room that looks out at the ocean, died peacefully while looking out at the ocean with her whole family there. I would love that death. (A doctor is present to administer the drugs intravenously)

The great Dr Kervorkian invented a machine years ago that administered a cocktail of drugs intravenously and it was used by the individual by pushing a button. As many of you know it was utilized many times by people he screened ,and he actually turned down many people because he did not think their condition warranted it . This great Doctor finally was put in jail by an archaic judicial system when he assisted one of the poor paralyzed individuals by pushing the button himself . He did not have to let anyone know ,but told the authorities he did this so he could bring this subject to the public’s attention .He.unfortunately suffered the consequences of his admission

there are worse things than death for sure. if there wasn't I wouldn't put my dogs to sleep when they are at a time they need putting out of there misery. I would have done it for my dad too if I could.

Yes. It is your own life you live and only you can make that decision. One of the 12 Apostles committed suicide. I have never met a bible thumper that knew this because they only know one Christian bible exists. A book called, "The Other Bible", has everything in it that was taken out of their edition. It is available to anyone now who is curious enough to read it....but, in it "the Death of John" it describes him laying down in a ditch and telling his followers to bury him (alive). Suicide.

yes. the contraption just lines someone's pocket

Yes-people should have the right after age 50 to end their own life. The terminally ill, the elderly who want to die with dignity and those with degenerative diseases/disabilities. One of my grandmothers had a stroke and lived in a vegetative state in a Catholic nursing home for seven years. My other grandmother was fed baby food and drugged the last 2 yrs of her life in a Hebrew rehabilitation center. She died at 109. If I was terminally ill I would opt for euthanasia. My medical proxy says no feeding tubes. We should have the choice.

why the arbitrary age minimum?

it was in the article-Its the legal age in the Netherlands.

I watched the undignified death of my grandfather and my father, I campaign locally for the right to die. I find it strange we have the right over our pets but are not allowed to choose this for ourselves. I don't know if I'm going to want this for myself in the future but I know I would like the option.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 18, 2017

A person should have the right to die. Dr should aid in this when patient is terminal and quality of life is gone. Peace.

I've never been in a place where I wanted to commit suicide, so I can't directly relate to suicide. I can't respect it, for I like the fight, but I haven't been there, so I don't think it is even fair that I can't respect it. This is the only existence that I know, and I can't imagine anything else but it, so I am gonna hold onto it like it owes me a beer.

I like that way of expressing it... I feel the same way.

"The most common argument is that there is no such thing as rational suicide, and that a death wish is, per definition, the result of a psychiatric illness. I reject that idea."

Depressed people will also have to pass the test that determines mental capability. Many depressed people still have the mental capacity to realize that death is permanent. Depression is not an excluding factor when it comes to use of the Sarco. But if you're depressed or physically ill to the point that you don't know what you're doing, you won't pass the test and Sarco is not an option for you. It may be a gray area, but it's not more or less gray than the tests that psychologists use right now.

I think it might make sense if you were afflicted with a painful terminal illness like bone cancer. I'm hoping to go out like my late wife's grandfather. He was perfectly healthy and had a clear mind until age 97, then he had a massive stroke and he was dead before he hit the floor.

BD66 Level 8 Dec 18, 2017

Oh yes... Susie and I want that. Checking out early is something we've already considered. He'll! So much easier.

If it is not your body, it is not your choice.

But I do agree with self termination.

The thought that this will be online and downloadable for anyone who has a 3D printer is scary. An online questionnaire is not enough to determine mental fitness.

I was raised to believe that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I do believe that when someone has a debilitating illness that affects their daily life in a negative way then it is an alternative.

Betty Level 8 Dec 18, 2017

Well, you just described a majority of mental illnesses xD

@Neraven I should have added the word "permanent" before negative.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.