Agnostic.com

36 2

What are peoples thoughts on death and does it scare you?

I find that I am not scared of death itself or what may come after it(not a lot) but of not having enough time to do all the things I want to do. What are your thoughts about death and why it seems a vast amount of people fear it?

Brence 4 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Death is but part of life, I don’t believe there is nothing to be scared about; for a species that still searching for where we have come, what ever happens after life, should not be scary. I believe people fear death, because the associate their existence with the material possessions they have or would like to have, and they don’t want to lose what they have worked hard to achieve.

I do not fear death. I read a quote somewhere that said:

"You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust riding a rock hurtling through space. Fear nothing."

That works for me.

I don't fear anything. I dislike many things. Pain is a dislike. I don't want to be in pain. But, why would I fear death? It's part the of the same ride we're all on.

All of life is based on either fear or love. Every emotion that you experience can be drilled down to one of those at the root of it.

I choose love rather than fear.

Duke Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

I'm not afraid of dying at the appropriate place and time. (Very, very, old, ambulatory, sane, and not in pain.) Everything else scares me. Having said that. The bright side, I hope, is that there won't be taxes, bills, mortgages, lousy bosses, insensitive xs, war, poverty, pollution, politics, injustice, police brutality, human and animal abuse.

My thinking is that we become what we were before we were born. We never seem to worry about where we were before two cells hooked up in a warm, cozy, dark place and became us.

The aspect of death I find scary - or at least damn unsettling, is the idea of having some painful, lingering illness that renders me mostly helpless and dependent.

Otherwise I don't find the idea of death scary. In fact, the way the world's going lately, I feel my timing will likely be good. Not that I'm in any hurry mind you ! I'm rather enjoying myself ...

Death, per se, doesn't scare me... DYING on the other hand, does.

Lol, I not scared of death, really. I'm not even scared of there being nothing after death. I'm spiritual, I believe in God and Heaven and Hell, and I believe that where you go depends on how you live, not what you believe. Although I'd be open to all of that being wrong, too. It really doesn't matter enough to me. My only fear regarding death is that I'd stop EXISTING. I can handle an empty afterlife of darkness and nothingness, but I cannot understand the concept of ceasing to exist. That's why I still believe what I do. I just find t hard to believe that, with all of my memories, my perceptions in life, my senses, everything, would just STOP. I mean, how we even know what death is, why would anyone ever fear it, if we would literally be GONE when we're gone?

I have no fear of dying. I do not fear death. It is simply part of the cycle. I do think that once I die that there is nothing beyond. I think we just cease to exit and decompose to rejoin the world.

I am not scared of death per se, but I am scared of dying.

I'm not afraid of death, In my mind its just natural everyone dies. I figure when it happens it happens. Though many things may cause me to die sooner or later then others i will die either way, so it dosnt scare me im just okay with it. But that just me. ????

My fear of death fell away with belief in religion.

I have some fear of dying, that can be rather unpleasant. But once I'm dead, I will no longer care. I really don't think on it at all any more.

I don't fear death I fear hurting, or being a burden, by hanging around too long- I am old and I have done enough in my life to feel fulfilled, so, just coasting at the moment; as I said somewhere else -old enough to take life easy, fiddle around with my artwork and enjoy the view.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.