Agnostic.com

8 1

Solstice

We usually have a wild solstice celebration at the end of the year to burn the past and celebrate the future.

Does anyone else celebrate Winter Solstice?

cercatrova 6 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would but I live in Waco.

I live in Amarillo! I bet there are at least some there that do.

But I’d rather be with you. πŸ™‚

That’s fair. I’m pretty fun to hang out with. πŸ˜‰

I knew some witches that did that. It seems like fun though i never made it that far..lol. long..long story... ugh!

As a science teacher I appreciate knowing about the solstice. The Romans moved Christmas to 12/25 to screw on the ancient Celts celebrating Winter Solstice. Shortest daylight north of equator, first day of winter. Sun is over the Tropic of Capricorn for an instant.

Yes! The longest night of the year ends and starts the return of the light! Yay.

I have many friends who celebrate the solstice, and I find it a more legitimate holiday than, say, Christmas, because it's an actual astronomical event, and therefore has real ecological significance. Holidays are also important for morale, especially in winter, so I'm glad to see an increase the number of people who celebrate things that make sense (at least to me) πŸ™‚

that's when I celebrate this season....but it is generally celebrated with horror movies (or this year MMA, cuz it will be just me and me mums) and bad food. I always feel like I live on the tip of a fuse that is always burning the past....I try to keep those ashes warm and stowed away, though.

I'm somewhat surprised that you living in Texas celebrate Solstice but I think it's great that you do.

SamL Level 7 Dec 18, 2017

There is a merry band of heathens here. We are just less noisy than the Bible thumpers.

Solstice -- you bet. Big time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9004
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.