Agnostic.com

82 6

So what is your most hated song of alltime? The one that you have heard so many times that you just can't bear the thought of hearing it again. For me it's Freebird by Lynrd Skynrd

myownmind 7 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

82 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Happy Birthday...song

There are lots. But off of the top of my head 'Unchained Melody'. I can't bear it.

I agree with so many on here - glad it's not just me - there must be something about these songs that irritates a considerable section of humanity...However "Freebird" is a favourite of mine - I don't know why and I don't even play it, but I like it.

A lot of the Beach Boys catalog fits in here for me.

Anything by Nickelback. 😉

At one time, Greg Kihn's Jeopardy was all over the airwaves, and I absolutely HATED it. Then once it stopped playing 24/7, I missed it, and couldn't wait to hear it. It's now one of my favourite songs.

Similar thing with the UB40 cover of Red Red Wine. I was living in Australia when it was a hit. Since the US at the time got everything months (if not years) before Australia, when I moved to the States, one of things I was most glad of was knowing that the song had come and gone on US airwaves and I wouldn't have to listen to it anymore.

Everything was fine for about six weeks. Then, on the radio, they were talking about this "big new hit, just released" from UB40, and I had to live through it running up the charts, again.

To this day, I dislike this song.

Ozman Level 7 May 27, 2018

No Charge by JJ Barrie. It's horrendous. The end

Deck of Cards by anybody isn't far behind

Totally agree to both of those! Cringemaking.

"MacArthur Park", sung by anyone. Who the heck wrote those lyrics? There was also a song from the 70's that still irritates me, "Playground in My Mind".

Can't stand "Macarthur Park"!

To cleanse our auditory palate after so much that is awful, I would like to suggest Michael Franti and Spearhead: Speaking of Tongues.

In the mid-90s, I went to see Midnight Oil. One of the Marley kids opened (I think it was Ziggy, but might have been Damien...does it really matter? They're all pretty talented). Opening for THEM was a group called Disposable Heroes of Hip-Hopcracy. It was fronted by a then-unknown Michael Frenti. I can't remember any of the songs, but was blown away by them. And the only thing I have found readily available is an awesome cover of California Uber Alles (the Dead Kennedys song)

So much to pick from.... early Elvis, “Hound Dog”... was in grade school when it came out, few weeks later couldn’t stand it. Another classic... “The Girl From Ipanema”... Astrid Gilberto, her whispering vocal, so weak... love Brazilian music, seems whispering female singers are popular in Brazil.

Tomas Level 7 May 27, 2018

Sorry but the Menards lumberyard jingle....could drive mother Theresa to homicide.

"Last Kiss" by Wayne Cochran.
And ALL of it's covers, including the one by Pearl Jam.
I hate that fucking song.

Absolutely anything by The Doors.

vita Level 7 May 26, 2018

Yeah. They just don't do it for me.

Years ago when I was just a small contractor building custom homes I got fed up with my crew constantly changing the channel on the job site radio back and forth from Country to Rock to Country to Rock. I realized that not only was the constant bickering bad for morale it was costing me as the guy who had to make payroll each week, doh ray me - money. So I decided to ban radios from the job site to stop the constant bickering, this had a unifying effect on my crew who now banded together against their evil overlord - that would be me. After a bunch of complaining about the right of workers to have music on the job (not true) I told the men that if they wanted music on the job then I had no problem with that, just with the radios, so if they wanted music they could sing and I would have no problem with that. Pretty clever for a young, boss man - never underestimate a construction crew. They got together at the bar that night and hatched up a plan to get even with me. They took me up on my offer and rehearsed several Las Vega show tunes, the favourite being Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual which they serenaded me with for the next few days. I almost always have a song running in the back of my head because I am a singer myself but this endless loop got into my brain like a worm and it wouldn't come out, it was even in my dreams. I eventually capitulated when I couldn't take it anymore, morale improved because of the unifying force I presented and the Country and Rock guys took turns on alternate days with the radio so it was a win overall BUT I still can't bear the sound of 'It's Not Unusual'.

Freebird, simple man, hell, Damn near everything that dead band did.
Stairway to heaven
Just about everything Clapton did, same with SRV.
Christmas music.
Almost everything Queen did.
Almost everything the grateful dead did.

Just about anything by Skynyrd or Pantera. Like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I don't think I could road trip with any of my comrades here. I actually like a lot of the songs y'all are talking about. Not every one, but a lot.

Funny story on this--Years ago a friend and I heard a song on the radio that both of us hated with rare passion. I don't even remember what the song was, only the unguarded HATE I felt for its arrangement, vocals, lyrics, its very EXISTENCE!! In fact, my disgust was so pronounced, I expressed the hope that it would not be the last song I hear before I die. That's how much I hated this crappy song!!
...And yes, there is a song I would love to hear to enter the void, but that's for another post...

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Love Shack
Achey Breaky Heart
Dirt Road Anthem

I don't usually care for country, but those songs are worse than most.

The all time worst though: the Big & Rich cover of You Shook Me All Night Long

JimG Level 8 June 1, 2018

Not a fan of cowboy noise either.

"Take It Easy" by The Eagles. I could list lots more, but this one takes the cake.

Stand by REM, I hate that stupid song so much I sold all the CD’s I owned by them and change the station any time any of their music plays. One Week by Bare Naked Ladies is just as stupid and I cannot change the station fast enough when that ridiculous song is playing. Luckily I never had the misfortune of liking BNL so I didn’t have to sell anything by them.

You Dropped A Bomb On Me by The Gap Band.

Wow, hard question but when I started thinking about it for some reason Fleetwood Mac came to mind (maybe because they finally kicked Lindsey Buckingham out of the group)....I have heard all those Rumours album songs SO MANY TIMES. So called "soft rock", now there's an oxymoron for you. Makes me gag!

Fur Elise by Beethoven
I'd rather get stabbed in the ear

@WillP2020 it was everyones favorite tune to learn in beginner piano classes pre-university. And hearing a room full of middle school piano players practicing fur Elise for weeks on end will change your mind.

Why would anyone hate a song?

to the best of my knowledge, there is on all music devices an off button and/or a mute button.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.