Agnostic.com

29 2

Are haircuts too expensive?

The ritual of getting one's hair regularly washed, cut, dried and styled in a salon clashes with the real life issues of time, finances and travel; prompting some to cut their own hair at home instead.

For women this may be an even bigger deal, as women are often charged more for a haircut than men. So deciding to cut one's own hair at home may prove a substantial money-saving choice, especially over the long term.

Who cuts their own hair and why?

Ellatynemouth 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of the advantages of keeping my hair short is I don't have to go to the salon
when I feel the need to get it cut.
I have clippers and I ain't afraid to use them!

Been cutting mine for years. I have clippers with guages to make it easier. Hair is pretty much a waste product.

A good haircut is worth every penny. I go to a stylist. I won't skimp on my hair, shoes or food.

I have a stylist and I won't let anyone else touch my hair. Now, having said that she costs an arm and a leg! Needless to say I only see her about once a year.....

@SACatWalker I have a tendency to randomly chop my hair off at times. Usually about once every 4 years or so.... I'll keep you posted!

I wear my hair short and close to the scalp so I am at the hairstylist every 2-3 weeks and it costs me a mere $20 (including tip). The stylist is 3 blocks from where I live and I am in and out in about 30 minutes. That is the beauty of short, natural colored hair. Sometimes I might get the clipper's out and touch-up the sides in between salon visits. I'm still working on how to tidy up the back of my hair without leaving a gaping hole! 😕

I think you look very elegant.

@Ellatynemouth Thank you....but you know look's can be very deceiving!!!! 😀

Try cutting your back with tapered clipper guages and close your eyes. It's what I do.

@Bigcity943 Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. Of closing one's eye's is always a good option!!!!! 😀

I only get a cut a couple times a year but have no issue paying someone for the service. I get to relax and they earn a living.

I pay a small fortune every 5 weeks. She's worth every penny. She's also done color at cost and the cut for free when unexpected expenses have hit me hard. I love her dearly.

She sounds lovely!

I have a lot of hair - and it grows fast - so I got a nice pair of scissors and I cut it myself. Just flip it over and go at it.

No one has commented on a difference - so I'll keep this up.

Also I don't put myself in one of those terrible sinks that ruins your spine - so way better.

I pay my daughter to cut my hair, it gives us some bonding time.

For a minute there I thought you were being really sarcastic! 😉

@RavenCT, my daughter gives great haircuts, she cuts it exactly the way I like?

I just let mine grow. Haven't had it cut for about a year and a half. I happen to have a job that allows me to wear it long so, I just don't see the point in going to the trouble and expense of haircuts. It also serves as a barometer of sorts for dating. Anyone shallow enough to be bothered by the fact that I have long hair just generally isn't a good fit for me. I've discovered that attitude rears it's ugly head in other areas as well.

Duke Level 8 May 28, 2018

I haven't paid for a haircut since school.
Then I grew it long.
Then girlfriends would cut it.
Then I cut my own, just running my fingers through my hair and trimming whatever protruded.
Then I bought clippers and give myself a number 2 every 2 months.
Now I'm so lazy I even use the clippers to shave - it's not like I'm kissing anybody for the stubble to rasp them. 🙂

Oooooh I'd love to see a photo of you "back in the day" with long hair. I bet you were over the top as you are now. 🙂 Grrrrrrrrr

I cut my own hair because their is less to cut. It’s also cost efficient for a decent look.

TonyW Level 4 May 27, 2018

I trim my own bangs, because they grow ridiculously fast in proportion to the rest of my hair, and I color my own hair.

I have only gotten two hair cuts in the last 2 years, which were simply to shave an undercut so I can apply my topical pain killer. I'm trying to see how long I can grow my hair out

My mom used to cut my hair but I don't let her anymore now that I have two chunks of ear missing

I lean over. Brush my hair over my head and cut across as it falls in front of my face.

I have very slightly wavy hair and this gives about a perfect a layer cut as you could want.

I really can't answer that as l have had no experience with barbers in the last 3 decades. Sorry. ?

YES, they cost too much!!! It's insane. It takes my stylist about 15 minutes to cut my hair and it's $55!! Plus a tip for her; and I recently learned, a tip for the woman who washes it. $10 more if she "styles" it. The only time I opt for the styling is if I want it straightened and don't want to make the time to do it myself.

But, my going the cheap route ($30 cuts) is the exact reason my hair is short now -- two bona fide hatchet jobs in the last two years.

I color it myself 100% of the time. It helps that I use a solid color because I couldn't do highlights myself. Thankfully, I have resilient, healthy hair, so I don't need any product fancier than what I can get at Sally Beauty Supply.

When my hair is long and I'm mostly wearing it curly, I have no problem trimming it myself. But, with short hair now, and especially because I'm wearing it straight, trimming it myself is out of the question.

I agree. Short hair is much harder to cut oneself. Those prices you quoted are insanely high.

@Ellatynemouth And that's in Louisiana -- where the cost of living is [generally] low!

@Ellatynemouth Just paid our hairdresser $75 (including tip) to cut & color my girl's hair.
NO WAY I could have done that cut or color at home.

Notneccessarily if you're a bloke - I got a major hair & beard trim for £7 locally. Women's hair cuts are massively more expensive generally speaking at least in the UK

I haven’t been to a barber in years. I don’t have much hair but what little I have I just shave it off every morning with a electric razor.

It's simple for me. I shave my head. I used to just wash it myself too when I let my hair grow, but when I went for haircuts, it only cost me about $12 or so for a trim plus a couple of bucks for a tip. Some barbers are ridiculous. I read that the average men's haircut is about $28. Men have had the same hair styles for forever, but some barbers charge up to like $50, and expect a tip too. It's not like most haircuts are anything special or really changed dramatically over time.

I totally agree. When considering a haircut grows out after a few months it doesn't seem worth it.

I don't cut my hair or let anyone else.

(Depending on work) I shave my chin bout 3 or 4 times a week , shave my head 3 or 4 times a fortnight and elsewhere 3 or 4 times a month. Cost quite minimal. Everyone should try it. The Fever Crumb look is bound to come in soon, at least in the next couple of years. you heard it here first.

I have done it for years.I finally found a barber i liked.

Coldo Level 8 May 27, 2018

Right. That is the trick...finding a stylist who knows what their doing.

My real question is..

What the fook can I do with a head of hair that has more cowlicks than a barn?

Angus Level 5 June 9, 2018

With tip, I pay about $20 a month. I have very short hair and if I want to add color (blue, purple, green, etc) I do it myself.

Unlike some most of my counterparts, I still have most of my hair, so it is a pleasure to get it cut and trimmed once a month.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91810
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.