47 3

How can we improve this community?

This site is for you! Please let us know what you'd like to see here and we'll make it happen. Thanks!

By Admin
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
47 comments

Be honest in all things. If you don't want to be honest, then be silent.

snytiger6 Level 5 Oct 21, 2017

Bug: Profile Questions > Preferred match kids?
Can select only one, instead of multiple.

bingst Level 4 Oct 21, 2017
Good catch (again)! Fixed.

I got an email last night stating that my comment for this post had been denied. But now I can't recall making a comment to this post last night. I think the denial email would be more useful if it included the denied comment, so that one might make corrections to whatever is objectionable.

bingst Level 4 Oct 21, 2017
That was me. I removed one of your posts in this thread as it was more tech-oriented and found that when I did that, it sent you a "denied" message. We fixed that and are working now to include any text that gets denied in the email.

Perhaps you should remove the option to report the Admin account.

bingst Level 4 Oct 15, 2017
Ha, good idea. Will go live tomorrow

RE: member search

Perhaps you already have this on your to-do list, but I would like to be able to search by the identifying terms, I.e. agnostic, atheist, secularist, etc.... Perhaps even include all these terms with three radio buttons for each: Include, Exclude, Either (the default would be Either, and this is needed in case one chooses to change from the one of the first two option). Specific example: I'd like to search for someone who identifies as agnostic, but exclude anyone who also identifies as spiritual.

Also, it would be great if at the very least the search criteria were saved in cookies. Of course, saved labeled search criteria from a dropdown list would be nice.

bingst Level 4 Oct 15, 2017
Hmmm. We have search for topics (small search icon in upper right corner). We'll change it to a purple button to make it more noticeable. ... ok, I just modified the code to let you EXCLUDE keywords by putting a "!" in front of the word. E.g., to exclude "fish", search for "!fish". You can put multiple keywords separated with commas. Note: code live tomorrow. Even God rested on the sabbath
Umm... I was referring to the member search. I think you do need rest.

I'd like understand how the points and levels thing works

siesta Level 2 Oct 15, 2017
Check out the levels page by clicking anywhere you see the word "Level".

Would it be a breach of protocol for me to reproduce my Wordpress blog posts here on Agnostic?

Hellbent Level 4 Oct 14, 2017
That would be fine! Happy to provide a wider audience - especially if it's relevant.

So in the "letting people send more messages" thread a number of people have said that they sent messages that weren't received or replies that weren't received. Please address this ASAP as I would rather there be no message service as opposed to not having confidence that messages or replies were not received. The fact that I have messaged multiple people and now don't know if they aren't replying because they either didn't get the message or are not interested is terrible. If they are not interested that is perfectly cool. But if they didn't get the message, that totally defeats the purpose of this site and multiplies confusion. You must address this

MustardSeed Level 5 Oct 14, 2017
In the last 24 hours we fix a number of messaging bugs which were causing problems. Should be fine now.
So should I remessage the women I reached out to? The idea of them not getting my message, and me interpreting it as uninterest is terrible conundrum.
Like for real. Did my messages go through? Did they not? Can you look at the logs or something? I am a member here regardless but this is sounding crazy

Why no area search, pretty worthless unless you want to just BB post.

GregGasiorowski Level 1 Oct 14, 2017
You can currently sort by distance. We probably could do a better job of showing that or simply build a "miles/km from zip/city" field. On the list!

I'm unable to receive messages. My account doesn't seem locked but any message I click on sends me to a page that reads: "This page isn’t working - agnostic.com is currently unable to handle this request."
HTTP ERROR 500

Admin: can you try again? We just fixed some page load problems. I sent you a message from your profile page and from the messenger. Hopefully you can see them and reply. Thanks!

paul1967 Level 7 Oct 13, 2017
Seems to be working ok now , right?
Working just fine

You asked about the cropping tool. It's working fine now. I also want to add that I'm very impressed with how fast things get done here. Your response to issues is awesome and very much appreciated.

paul1967 Level 7 Oct 13, 2017
Thanks!

I try to upload a profile picture but my picture doesn't appear. It still has the default image. My photo is in my profile pic library and uploads when I first put it. But as soon as I click to another page it disappears. Am I missing something?

goat2128 Level 2 Oct 13, 2017
We made a bunch of fixes in the last 24 hours. Should be much more stable now.

Why when I make a post does it not go up right away? I can see it but nobody else can.

paul1967 Level 7 Oct 12, 2017
Since questions/posts/links need to be curated, they go through a review process before showing up to everyone. We do this to hopefully make the main page more interested. Yes, it's a bit arbitrary which things show up on the main page. It's based a bit on how similar it is to other questions, topic, and if the person has posted tons of questions (we try to give others a chance). Level 5+ get comments/replies to go live instantly. We'll add a "Profile only" checkbox on the post later to let posts go live immediately if they're destined for the profile page.

I like the new photo upload you have. However, the crop button works but doesn't save. It becomes uncropped as soon as you leave the page. This is on existing photos I'm not sure about freshly uploaded photos.

paul1967 Level 7 Oct 11, 2017
Hmmmm... ok, will test that next. Thanks for the feedback!
I was unable to replicate... but I only have new photos. Can you try with new photos?
It's working fine now. I don't know if you will see this so I'll post it directly to you. I also want to add that I'm very impressed by how fast things get done here. Your response to issues is amazing and very much appreciated.

I was wondering how long it takes for uploaded posts of things to be viewed by everyone. I posted a couple things, and they never showed up am I doing something wrong? I also was wondering if you have any way to set up chat rooms.. where perhaps by topic or whatever, could take place. Just a thought.

mistymoon77 Level 4 Oct 10, 2017
A new photo upload system is going live today. You should see your photos immediately. We are thinking about chat rooms too ... once we improve the dating features. Chat rooms are also harder to monitor for scammers

I'd like to know what the points are for

SunnySmiles Level 5 Oct 10, 2017
I know that part of it has to do with making real people easily distinguishable from bots and predators. My understanding is that the very lowest level(s?) can't initiate contact with other members, and the first few posts are screened by the Admin. Having once created a point system for that purpose, the Admin may have decided to elaborate on it for other reasons. He or she recently said something about periodic prizes, including something in the near future.
@vertrauen - yes, that's correct. Hopefully, members don't get too caught up about it. We give some more access to members with higher levels and hopefully will have some way to send agnostic-themed gifts to active members.
That sounds fun!!

Being able to rotate picks would be good. Also an easy way to find people that live near you, some sort of a distance search.

RayEtherton Level 3 Oct 8, 2017
Yes! We're working on fixing the rotation bugs in photo uploads and hope to have the feature upgraded in the next couple of days. For distance search, you can sort by "Nearby" (perhaps we should change that to "Distance". Typically, with distance searches, people need to also have "Logged in since X"... but since we're only live for a month or so, it's moot for now. Thanks for the feedback!

I think we need to be very careful here that this site does not devolve into a site for flaming and attacking other members, rather than ideas. Also, I have begun to see subtle signs of racism; comments that are nuanced with a racial bias. This cannot stand as far as I am concerned. This should be a safe site, and I for one, will withdraw if that kind of behavior is allowed by the site curator to continue. Yes, we can express our political preferences and our disdain for policymakers, past and present, etc., but there is no room, imho, for racism, or attacking other members.

Bikersurfer Level 6 Oct 6, 2017
Great feedback! Let me think of ways we can reduce (or at least deprecate) this type of behavior. I must admit that we're currently coding like crazy to improve the feature set and haven't been as diligent as we like in curating. Yes, this site should only allow criticism of IDEAS and not people. One of the goals with levels is to give semi-administration abilities to members who have shown their commitment to the site. We will soon add a "Report" button to replies too. Thinking that we could set "Report" report's weights proportionate to the reporter's level. Perhaps after a certain number of reports/page views, we can "grey out" the text... and remove if more reports come in. We currently do look at each report manually. Thanks!

Was just thinking it could be cool to have a way to sort posts by "unanswered"

OhMyStaz Level 4 Oct 6, 2017
Ah, there is... but there's a little bug in it still... for now, you can click "Most comments" then there is an up/down arrow, if you click that, it will sort by "Least comments". Eventually, we'll get the text fixed.
ah - thanks!

It would be better if you allowed people to choose which default picture to use. Trans woman would not like a default man to show up.

Of course, there are trans people who wouldn't like to have to decide between the two. And are cis people who prefer not to identify what gender/sex they are. So maybe you could include a "not identifying" category with an ungendered default icon.

I realize that there are limits to what you can do with program as written.

Pricklypear Level 3 Oct 5, 2017
Yes, good points. We are slowly adding better support for our trans/other members... especially as we roll out better dating features. Do you (or others) have a suggestion what a "trans" icon would like? We could simply do a 50% filter of each but that might seem offensive... or perhaps a slider to choose?
A trans man would usually like the default man picture. A trans woman would usually like the default woman picture. For a non-binary trans person, or a person who doesn't it to be known, I would do a highly simplified picture (google "person icon" that doesn't depict any gender... just a head on a body.

But that's me being simple. Other people might want more options.
I REALLY like the slider option. Just generally.

scrolling through 'next page' of posts is almost unbearable.. using mozilla firefox/linux

JaydinLedford Level 3 Oct 5, 2017
Yah, it's a bit old school... we plan to do "infinite scrolling" in the next few weeks. Good suggestion, thanks!

I'd like to see the time on the posts, and if they were edited and the time of the last edit. It would make it easier to know what I've already read. Thanks! -Matt

mgregory22 Level 2 Oct 3, 2017
Right now, we're leaving the questions timeless as it's more about the discussion as new people join the site. I like the idea of helping you see the topics you've read before or even hide them (toggle). Will thing more...
Also, as your Level increases, we adjust some of the question orders to emphasize newer questions. "Magic"

This afternoon I've been getting an error message every time I tried to send a message. If you're already aware of it and working on it, no problem. But in case this is the first you know of it ...

vertrauen Level 5 Oct 3, 2017
Thanks! We are still updating the messenger code. Didn't realize if we made a change to the database, we have to restart the messenger server to give it new code. It should be working now but feel free to message me or post again if a problem happens.
There appears to be a character limit on the Message function, which I discovered because I'm chatty when introducing myself. That's what caused the error message, which I eliminated by reducing the length of the message. Could you please post there what the character limit is? And maybe also the current character count of what you've typed?
Same here
Hey Sunny. Admin later told me in PM that they would raise the character limit soon to 1000. The site is a work in progress - sorta building the plane as we fly, but much less dangerous ... That's also the reason there's no scrollback function in PM yet. It is coming.

When I search "nearby" I just see a bunch of fake profiles from Ghana and Nigeria. I'd love to actually see local people.

AnnFordock Level 1 Oct 3, 2017
Same exact problem here in Columbia SC....
Ann, I put your location for my account and it worked. Did you happen to update your location AFTER you had the problem with "nearby" searches? Sharon, I think I found the issue in your case and will find a way to fix it in the next couple of hours. You're in South Carolina, right? BTW, if you see fake profiles, please click the "Flag" icon on their profile and we'll remove (and find a way to reduce similar issues).
Ok, found and fixed the bug in search... should work much better now. Could you verify?

I would love if the categories could be tweaked a bit. In place of Random & Silly, I'd have a Just for Fun category, which could include 'getting to know you' type quiz questions and other randomness. We need a category for books, music and movies, one unambiguously separate from the philosophy oriented categories. Really Life and Meaning seems to be as much a philosophy category heading as Religion and Spirituality. If this site is too focused, in every category, on rehashing basic theosophical and philosophical questions, folks who just want to hang out with like-minded people will just go back to facebook. For the most part, people joining a site called agnostic.com are already self-selected to be agnostic or atheist, and if we were Baptists or all Jewish, sure there'd be some theological discussion, some ego stroking, etc., but there'd also be a lot of just general chatting about topics having nothing to do with God, gods, or churches.
And, it would be great if there was a visual indicator on or around our profile pictures or something that would indicate whether we are or are not interested in finding dates. Many women I know would be wary of joining a site like this for fear of being pestered by too many lonely, single men. Right now it is not terribly easy for users to see at a glance whether such attention would be welcome. I, for instance, am NOT looking for a date, and any poor men who miss that detail may find I am less friendly than I ought to be. If folks like me had a red border around our profile pics, or something obvious like that, anyone could see that we are just here for friendly companionship, not dating, and they could direct their romantic attentions where they might be less frostily received.

JamieB Level 5 Oct 3, 2017
Awesome ideas! I've been thinking about 2 modes for the site dating and forum. Feedback I'm getting from some dating/personals people is that it's too forum-heavy now. I like your idea of a "I'm open to dating" icon on the small photos. I'll try some tweaks to the categories too
Ok, I added "Movies, Movies & Books" and added "Fun" to "Silly & Random" (a compromise).
That works for me, thanks. Yeah, I suspect that for the folks who want a dating site, the conversations so far would be frustrating. Most women I know (and myself) would rather meet people and chat, and if we meet someone who becomes a romantic partner later, that's cool but not the priority for joining or participating in a site like this. It will be interesting to see how the dating site/social site conundrum works out over time here.
Thanks for adding the movies and books section - great suggestion!

I totally see a difference between "religion and spirituality" and "life and meaning" - but that may be because I study psych and philosophy, separate from spirituality.
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit organization promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion