Agnostic.com

4 3

QUESTION The Drunken, Pagan History of Christmas

A nice history of Christmas, courtesy of Adam Ruins Everything:

[facebook.com]

resserts 8 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love this! Down here in the bible belt, people like to make a point of saying "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" then make a comment along the lines of "because He [points towards the sky monster] is the reason for the season." Most people just go along with it. Yesterday the comment I heard at work was "because it was always about him, Christmas came long before any of these other "holidays." Yeah he used air quotes... I just stared at him until he walked away lol

This is food for thought Pagans were the people that worshiped Pan.

Some, I think, but isn't "pagan" a broad term for anyone who wasn't Christian or doesn't follow one of the major religions? I always thought it was a generic term for people of myriad beliefs, but I could be mistaken.

It has been so long ago that I had found that info that I had to do some research to refresh my memory. I can not in a short time locate the references. What I did learn is Pagan was a derogatory term for people that practiced polytheism in the 3rd and 4th centuries, Roman in origin.

More data to create cognitive dissonance! Woot!

Cool. I wonder how many religious Christians know its true history?

Don't confuse them with alt-facts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9208
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.