Agnostic.com

7 1

What about religious fence sitters?

I'm seeing a lot more of this fence sitting behavior with people I interact with. They aren't really following religion, but will profess to believe in God.

For example, my mother will say to me, "I'm too old to not believe." It kind of feels like she is hedging her bets just in case there is something after death. Mind you my mom no longer goes to church, but will still post quasi religious/new age things on FB, or talk about angels guiding her in times of need. Be kind, she is still my mom.

I'm not trying to de-convert her, but I'll answer questions when asked.

What do you think? Are you seeing this in your own experience with others as well?

SteveB 7 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as they don't bother you about your beliefs, " let em be, let em be..."

My Jewish mother is probably a fence sitter. She used to make a big deal how we celebrated Channukah and not Christmas. During Sunday'sphone conversation we discussed my x-mas tree and aetheism briefly. So I asked her what she was doing for Channukah and she said nothing. Its just me. I don't light the menorah anymore-its too much trouble.

"Religious Fence-Sitters" are what could more commonly referred to being "Hedge-Bettors" i.e. they are betting on BOTH sides of the debate on the off-chance that one side may be correct ergo they can't lose either way.

Oh yeah... in my country all say they catholic, less than 30% goes to church or follow the commandments ....but when I openly say I am an Agnostic they say to me: oh please do not say that I am going to pray for you...meanwhile they drink like a fish...cheat on spouse ...married with a gay lover on the side, but me oh I am a lost cause they all praying for my soul..

I don't think believing in a god and following a religion are necessarily linked

I have been seeing this more and more. I feel like it's got to do with how fundamentalism is hard to achieve with science showing us the age of the earth, evolution and overall absurdity of superstitions. There's still the beliefs people were brought up with just more and more evidence against most of them. It's hard for people to change their minds after believing something for so long.

Yes. I have managers that believe in god, but think the bible is BS. They don't go to church either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.