Agnostic.com

18 5

Do you shop on holidays?

I was sitting here craving a full breakfast when I remembered that it was Memorial Day.

For years now, I've avoided shopping or going out to eat on holidays. I feel bad for the employees that have to work instead of spending time with loved ones or doing whatever it is the holiday is supposed to be about. I figure I'll be one less customer they have to deal with

What do you think; am I nuts?

• 11 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 20 votes
ghost_warlock 7 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't shop on the holidays from Thanksgiving through New Years Day. All of the other holidays are fair game.

I try to avoid crowds but sometimes a deal is too good to pass up.

I mean I've opted to work on certain holidays before just to get the extra pay. Some do to avoid being home without family for that holiday, work as a distraction.

I tend to only go out as needed on weekends or holidays, I try to avoid traffic or choas when I can.

Most times on Holidays I don't shop. But I don't have any issues shopping on OTHER religions holidays because people shop on mine and I'm not bothered. But I try to keep off the streets for National holidays

I don't go out on holidays with the exception of the 4th of July, so I agree with you.

I do most of my shopping online so I don't feel I'm hurting anybody if its on a holiday. Then again in my profession (healthcare) someone always has to work the holiday and sometimes its me. Its hard to know where to draw the line with what businesses "need" to stay open on holidays but one would assume that staff ideally would be allowed to take turns on who works the holiday so that nobody has to work them all.

I mainly shop on line, also. so easy

I bought beer today.

I try to avoid going out on the holidays as the free time off (do not have to burn my vacation days) is to be treasued with family.

That said, if something breaks and happens to need replaced on a holiday, I can be tempted into taking advantage of the sales. Such was the case yesterday.

Zster Level 8 May 28, 2018

I don't really 'do' holidays at all. Certainly not religious holidays, seldom 'national' holidays such as the 4th or Memorial (even as a vet) or Labor days. For too much of my life, holidays were just a day off that I would have usually gotten paid for but not now.

I just bought charcoal for the grill, so yeah.

Going to Menards as soon as I get away from this screen.

@Shelton
I don't go to Home Depot much but they have drive through mulch hard to top that.

@Shelton
Scotts isn't substantially better than the generic $1.80 Menards stuff for the record but HD is a mile away & Menards across town so it wasn't worth the trip for the 1.20 saved on 6 bags.

I shop on holidays if I need something or want to go out and eat. I used to have a job where I had to work holidays and it made the day go by faster if there were people coming in and out. Also with restaurants I'm sure they want customers because they are only paid a pittance

I never go out to eat on holidays. I may shop for groceries or if doing a project and need something right away. Otherwise most of my shopping is online and holidays do not make a difference doing that.

Being around crowds tend to stress me out. So, unless the holiday sale is really good, I stay home.

Like I have done in the past, some people work on holidays to get the extra money. So I think it's okay to shop on the holidays. And, you are not nuts.

@Jsands I'm with you!

No. Of course not. It’s not like I have to eat on the holidays, after all. Sheesh!

This may come as a huge surprise to you, but food can also be prepared and eaten in your own home! It's not illegal or anything! 😉

@ghost_warlock and it may come as a surprise to you that you don’t need to stock up to prepare for a holiday. Most states don’t have blue laws anymore and supermarkets are open, often, around the clock.

If it's one of the more important holy days, stores are closed.

Bali bras are 40% off Memorial Day weekend, at Macy's. Just sayin. 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:92660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.