Agnostic.com

37 8

What do agnostics say instead of "Thoughts and Prayers"?

I don't hate a lot of things, but cliches are definitely in the Top 5. When I see "my thoughts and prayers are with you" in the wake of a death or tragedy, it makes me gnash my teeth because I think it's just something people say, even when they're not thinking/praying.

Supercali 6 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually just say "Peace and Blessings" or "I'll send you some good vibes" or something like that.

I just don't know what I would say. Guess that's why I'm agnostic lol.

thoughts

same

Depends on if loss was accidental malicious or if was caused by a long suffering.

Never should an Atheist pretend prEyer has any efficacy ever in all of history. ...irrationality and magical thinking is learned dysfunctional behaviour.....no matter what the occasion I offer condolences, sympathy and acknowledgment of the grave situation. ...hoping they remain strong to endure their travails

“You are in my loving thoughts” is what I sometimes say. Best not to leave it to the grieving person to assign helping tasks. You know what they need—help with pet care, running errands, grocery shopping, picking kids up from school, rides to medical appointments, etc. Just say, “This must be a difficult time for you. May I help by ...”

UUNJ Level 8 June 9, 2018

I love this so much, thank you. This is so much better than "let me know..."

@Supercali Is there a way to share documents here? Unwrite a sermon about how to be helpful when someone has a chronic or terminal illness. I’d be happy to share the suggestions

I say. "What can I do to help you?" If local I offer to help with anything I can help with. A friend clear across country I ordered food from Amazon and a stuffed bear for them. Dont offer empty ideas. Do something.

“That sucks”?

I say keeping you close in my thoughts and my heart. I like sending love and light, too.

What if you are thinking of them and don’t have a another word for prayers to show sincerity?

Neleh Level 1 June 17, 2020

Probably "Best Wishes"

If they're going through or recovering from a medical procedure, "I hope [it] goes as quickly and as painlessly as possible." For deceased loved ones I offer my condolences.

I offer condolences and then do what I can to change the situation

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:92916
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.