Agnostic.com

25 2

To our bible belt friends.

What is it like being in such a religious are but not being part of their religion and being part of the group that they so frequently scape goat?

How do you cope with it?

Rams91 4 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I put up a graveyard in my front yard as a Halloween decoration one year and never took it down. The skulls in cages hanging on the front porch help too

hide, I hide

That too lol

I don't pay any attention to them whatsoever. Some of the big churches can cause a traffic situation on Sunday Morning, but other than that, they never enter my mind at all. Never have.

I am as vocal in my empirical evidence to debunk God as they are in mouthing off about him. I never start it - but i retaliate in kind. the louder they get the more precise and factual i get lol

Personally, I don't hear many religious people talk about atheists. The people that know I'm an atheist really don't mention atheism or their religion. For the people that don't know I'm an atheist and start talking about their religion, I just mind my own business (and silently judge them) or try to steer the conversation to another topic.

However, I had some atheist friends setup an "Ask an Atheist" booth during some community event. A Christian couple with kids started harassing them. The couple got their kids to write with chalk next to my friends' booth stuff like "God is real" "Go to church" and "I <3 Jesus"

I geniuinely wonder how many times I roll my eyes when I mean to smile and nod

Living in the Raleigh NC area, coping with it is slightly easier. Surrounded by major universities and Research Triangle Park, I find myself less impacted by the hardcore theocratic types. Yet, I still must stay quiet about my disbelief to keep my career on track. So yea, it's still a struggle. Sad!

Biko Level 3 May 28, 2018

We pity them fools!

It’s true. Fool pitying takes up more of my time than eating and sleeping combined.

The worst experience I've had here was finding out I was trapped in a line surrounded by "them". Specifically I was in line to vote, and they were having computer issues so we waited and waited. As southerners do, they began to feel required to "entertain one another" and started talking to one another about random stuff. Being an introvert I didn't love it, but I played along hoping the bottleneck would end soon. Then one guy realized he had an OPPORTUNITY. So he starts going down the line and demanding of each person what church they go to, and playing 20 questions as to where their church is and if so-and-so is still a member. I told him I don't go to church and so he immediately started handing me literature and trying to make me go to his church. I told him I can't go to church because I work weekends. He tried to recruit me to Bible studies in the middle of the week and I told him I can't attend them because I work nights. Finally I just looked him in the eye and said "I'm sorry, I can't! You have a blessed day!" and he backed off. I've discovered that saying "Have a blessed day" is somehow a peaceful conversation ender and I use it frequently. I think its really dirty pool to try to force your religion on a captive audience standing in line. If you have to sell something that hard, obviously its not worth much.

I laugh a lot. I flaunt in their face how silly the belief is. I scare them because they are use to us being afraid to be out. I am out. Lol

It fuels my passion for world domination

I have no problem with others’ beliefs, as long as they keep it to themselves.

I am an outsider. I do a lot of nodding quietly and giving answers that change the subject, just to avoid being set on fire in the middle of town, or fired from my job.

In a word - it's Lonely.

I live in the Raleigh area and it's easier here than it is in the mountains of North Carolina. There are tons of churches and tons of Christian people. Luckily I don't consider my lack of belief to be a huge part of my identity. I simply try to keep my mouth closed, and change the subject if at all possible.

I generally leave people alone unless they proselytize or otherwise broach the topic. Then I preach right back at 'em.

I just cringe internally every time I hear "I have a relationship, not religion..." or am asked "have you found Jesus?" Look, Lady, I didn't even know he was missing!

Find like minded friends. Visit this site.

I do something pretty novel to most of them. I forgive them.

they're dyin the same as I am so I just feel sorry for the path they have chosen

I wonder if that “Bible Belt” moniker is mostly just a stereotype. I live in a rural southern area and my impression is that there are all types in our region, just like everywhere else. I don’t identify as an atheist, but I am very anti-fundamentalist and church people never bother me.

[pewforum.org]

If you click on the above link you'll see a rating of various religious practices and values in the South. Under each table is a tab to click on and see how the various regions compare in religious practices. If you look you'll see that while the South is indeed more religious, the differences among the regions are not very great. There are certainly not enough differences to warrant labeling the South as the "bible belt". The South is a huge and diverse region, the most populous region, with every conceivable religion and religious opinion.

I laugh at them. A LOT.

The south side of my town has the most conservative Amish group left in the world but the rest of the religions pack the town. We even had a jewish guy until a couple of months ago. This tiny town is full of churches and there is even one in my back yard. I go to meetings and people constantly have to praise god or bless each other. I feel like I am in a bad made for TV movie.

It's easier if you live in a metro area. Houston has everything, so there are plenty of groups to scorn.

I pay no attention unless they are in my face.

It has no affect on me at all, although I am not vocal about my non-belief.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.