Agnostic.com

77 8

Do you find it offensive when theist think without a belief in god/gods, it’s impossible to have morality?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

77 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think they realize how arrogant and impertinent such a contention is, so I don't take it personally. However, it IS tiresome because it's so drilled into them, and the flip side is that they really believe that they would become depraved without their imagined godly morality. That's, after all, why they think atheists would be depraved, licentious, etc. At least there's a certain internal consistency to that notion.

It usually takes them by surprise if you force them to apply the notion to themselves by saying that it's too bad that they think themselves so evil that they believe themselves barely restrained from pillaging and raping but for their god holding them back from what they really want to do.

What type of person do they think they are? They need god not to kill someone? Not to put weapons in kids hands for some kind of war? Not to recognise that it was their decision to put that much butter in that delicious but don't eat too much cake? That you should harrass others? That you can stand up to others harrassing you? That sometimes sharing with skills, emotions or resources of some kind is needed and benefical to all?To not forget about our own needs and allow a bit of selfishness sometimes? To understand that someones wealth can help others and that there was systems in place that they acquired that wealth in the first place? To understand that opinions are not peer reviewed facts? To see someone suffering and note that you can't rely on some god to help them? Oh wait most people walk past those people...

Do You Know, During Discussion With Fanatical Priest in my Family House Trying to Convince me That am Wrong and The Credit Of Anything Good Inside us Back To God and Religion.

And My Answer Was,

I said : Do you think that Religion and Beliefs Are the source of Morals and All Non Believer Atheist or not
They have no morals ?!

He Said : Yes, I Am what I am Cuz of God,....

I Interpreting him and Said " You're Wrong! "

in A Loud Voice your Vision are too Narrow.

Look at the most non believer people in the world
and compare them with religious ones.

Compare them to the religious ( Priests or sheikhs )
Who tell us. What to Do or What not to Do.

Never think that your religion is what makes me do right

Never think that your religion is the source of my morality

Morals are things I do when I feel that's the right thing to do

No matter what others tells or think about me.

But your religion .. is about doing what you're told to do..

No matter how you feel about it .. right .. or wrong

Both .. are completely different things!

Being a moral person is doing something good
because you love doing it

Not because there's someone who'll reward you to Put you in heaven to do or set you in fire if you don't.

Do you Imagine how religions can blind people.

And that's was my last time at my family house they kicked me out and said you are not welcome here anymore you are no longer be a part of this house anymore and the church priest encourage them
to continue and keep telling prayers at the house to Bless the
House from the diabolical thoughts I speaks inside
he said " This God's House no place for demon inside."
and my family answer was "Hallelujah"

and that's when i lost my family from then till now.

Slightly offended, bewildered, and a little sad. Keep in mind, when they tell you that, they usually don't understand the definition. They will often agree you can be a good person, but not "moral", which to many of them just means you won't go to heaven. You are good, but not "one of them". You can't be in their club.

Sooo frustrating to talk to these brainwashed sheeple.

First of all, I wish that my Language help me to tell you what i think about this in the simplest and shortest way i could.

For me ( Morals ) always inside us it's in our DNA and it's a common mistakes when we think that morals come out of Religion or Beliefs.

There is a lot of People without any sort of God or Belief and have morals ( Japanese, Chinese too and Hindus also and many other ancient and modern examples in human history.

Bible Told everyone the Horrible things that (Gods Prophet) over ages did, and on the modern history we all know the horribles
it happened inside church or with the name of god or religion So, According to your Question Logic.

Did you Think that those people do or doesn't have Morals....?!

The Thing Is When it comes to ( Morality ) We all be the same, Since Day one we able to Distinguish
what Right from Wrong, What's Good from Bad. We all get Effected by our Society, Education, Social and Economical level
and a lot of other issues that effect the way you see morals. For Example,
What I will find it very moral in Egypt you might find it immoral in US and so on....

Religion didn't found moral out of nowhere it was exists and known in older and ancient civilization before
So, he just took it or rephrase it in different way.

And now Since the Majority of people has religion or they pretend to have one. So you think he has the main role on this,
But you aren't quite accurate cuz we start to be more morals after we put religion and gods away from our life.

Look to the History of Middle Ages, Do we look morals to you..... ?!

Look at the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948

What do you Think Right Now ........ Does God or beliefs told us to do so.

Ask your self and am sure
you will be able to find the right answer.

Miloo Level 6 May 30, 2018

Offensive? No. Ignorant? Oh hell yes.

Offensive. No. Utterly cretinous. Yes.

So my emotional reaction could be described as viewing their stupidity as being risible.

being offended by something is never an argument for me. It annoys/frustrates me and I do feel compelled to point out the unbelievable level of ignorance the person has to think that only a theist can be moral. Being offended is subjective to the individual. Remember, there are people out there who are offended by the idea of equality. Whenever I disagree about something with someone, if that person ever accuses me of offending them, I like to go with the famous Hitchens reply of 'I am still waiting to hear your point'

I find it highly disconcerting that as far as they’re concerned the only thing keeping them from raping or killing is an imaginary giant sitting in judgement. Says a lot more about them than us. Ok dude... I’ll just walk on this other side of the street then. You do you, your holiness. People be scurry. ???

Yes. Especially considering how immoral some of their books/teachings tend to be... I actually got into an argument with a prof in university about how morals aren't static, and how they actually evolve with society... he vehemently disagreed... And when I brought up examples he just ended the conversation... Like it was morally acceptable for royalty to marry in family because they had to keep the blood pure...

When someone tells me what their religious beliefs are (from avowed atheist to kooky fundamentalist) they tell me nothing about their morality. The two seem to be totally unrelated. If anything my atheist friends are more humane than my religious ones.

Same here.

If someone is telling me that they think I'm amoral then that is an objectively offensive thing to say. However lets put it in context. I do try to not take offense at the delusional ramblings of the mentally ill.

Not really, I don’t value their opinions and I see a lack of morality from them, also. I don’t care what they think.

What I find offensive is that they need an invisible, aloof, deity to tell them what should be common sense. Really, you need a god to remind you to be a decent human?

Not really.

Theists believe there's a great, invisible sky-fairy who watches you masturbate, listens to your thoughts, sends you to eternal torment in the fire-pits of hell, and sends hurricanes to 'punish' homosexuals.

In short they have such a poor grasp of reality that such a person saying I can have no morals is like being insulted by a gerbil - it means absolutely nothing.

Don't forget: it gets angry if you eat shrimp

No, I don't believe being offended is a means by which anything changes or gets accomplished. When one gets offended the conversation stops. I find it laughable when they are pressed on the subject. "Do you believe christians are the only ones with morals? When they answer yes. I follow up with "Then you believe that 5 billion people live non-morally?" At least it hopefully gets them thinking.

Yes

Offensive? No. I think it’s not thought out at best and intellectually dishonest at worst, but not offensive. We see foundational moral structures in pack animals, and tribes that predate known religion had moral systems without scripture to guide them. If anything, religion holds morality back. Morality is fluid. We are supposed to be constantly improving. Religion with strict dogma forces it’s participants to hang on to outdated mores because it’s recorded in a book. So no, it’s not offensive. It’s sad.

Offensive, no. Uninformed, yes.

I find it highly offensive and have had many debates over this, but morality is all a matter of perspective.

Yes. They also don't seem to realise that many of us carry the core of Judeo-Christian morality with us after we have left religion.

@Omen6Actual Judeo-Christian can’t be an oxymoron because the two terms do not contradict each other. For Christians, the latter is the fulfilment of the former. While you were not brought up with any religion, many people were and still are, and are coming to atheism and agnosticism with the moral values of their upbringing.

@Omen6Actual The problem with the word Judeo-Christian is that it is one word. You need a figure of speech with at least two words to create an oxymoron, such as ‘"I am busy doing nothing’ or ‘a little pain never hurt anyone’." I wondered did you mean ‘antinomy’ , a contradiction between two beliefs or conclusions that are in themselves reasonable; a paradox. But leaving word meanings, the Judeo-Christian culture is historically linear, the Christian West adopting the Jewish God YHVH and interpreting the messianic scriptures as applying to Jesus Christ. How the Jews feel about this is not something the Christian West was much bothered about. The comment about how the Bible and Koran is interpreted around the world has nothing to do with my point about our Judeo-Christian culture in the West. The comment about goat-rapists lets you down, because every culture has a minority of perverts and to categorise whole peoples as such is racist and just plain incorrect.

I don’t find it offensive but I do find it funny when I know someone for awhile and by my actions I am the best caring person on the planet. But as soon as they realize I don’t believe in god I get “oh my goodness, your going to hell”. It’s like, I was okay just a week ago. One small thing you learned about me didn’t turn me into a demon over night.

It's quite sad that people believe that they need to believe in something to have morals when it should be a natural instinct to "DO" the right thing. But theres a reason why common sense ain't that common

No, I just look at them as uneducated.

When they see an agnostic/atheist like me doing good deeds because I want to, and I don't give two shits about pleasing some God, hopefully the cognitive dissonance will spur them to question a bit more.

"You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion."

I am offended when they speak this nonsense in front of children. My granddaughter is no longer allowed to be friends with a girl in her class because we immoral atheists”.

what a shame
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.