Agnostic.com

17 13

LINK Here Are the 10 Scariest States to Be An Atheist | Alternet

#3: Texas. Wow. Where do you start with Texas? The public high school graduation ceremony that was like a revival meeting? The transit company that changed their policies and stopped accepting any bus ads for any religious organizations... just so they wouldn't have to take ads from atheists? The governor who responded to economic troubles, natural disasters, and terrorism by initiating a state day of prayer, and has exhorted Texans to "call on Jesus"? The governor, again, who decreed three official state Days of Prayer for Rain? The public school where they distribute Bibles? The high school textbooks which teach that the Bible was a "foundational text" in the framing of the U.S., that the King James Bible "remains one of the... most-loved books in the history of the world," and that "the sun went black" when Jesus was crucified? The state Constitution that says, "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being"? The teachers that get fired, not for being atheists, but for being suspected of being atheists? The town where they get seriously hysterical about atheists playing "Jingle Bells" in a Christmas parade?

Come on. Did you really expect Texas not to be on this list?

zblaze 7 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've lived in three of these states (and currently in Ft Worth, Texas)

Le sigh.

Ozman Level 7 June 24, 2018

No surprise TX is 3rd. There is an island of sanity in TX. Austin and some of the small towns around Austin are a safe zone. Those hypocritical bastards in the state legislature love coming to Austin with its night life and massage parlors. Then they go home and act all pious in front of there constituents.

Sort of purveys the notion that Christians aren't very tolerant or open-minded, doesn't it?

Never let it be said!🙂

2 of the states I've lived in.

Texas

Tennessee deserves a place on this list for sure.

You're right!! I'm really surprised that it didn't make the list.

Tennessee still has a law on the books that forbids atheists from running for public office.

@GuyKeith fuck sake no wonder Al Gores one of our least embarrassing politicians ??‍♂️

@Wurlitzer Tennessee is a horrible state, on so many levels. I left it several years ago for many reasons, not the least of which was how atheists were perceived.

Born in Texas (I prefer Tejas to announce my disdain for the redneck religeous right that demands stupidity). I loved living in Austin (Official motto - Live Music Capitol of the World, Unofficial motto ' Keep Austin Weird). As someone once told me the only really bad thing about Austin is it is in the middle of Texas. Truly a fucked up state.

True, Texas is awful that way. But we need more Atheists so we can change things.
It wasn't that long ago that we had a democratic governor. Maybe we can get another one soon.

Several years ago, perhaps 15, I came across an article discussing the risks of being atheist. That is, the risk to your own safety & security in the social structure at large. What might your fate be if the locals discovered that you were atheist? It came as a bit of a surprise to me to learn that at that time you were at greater risk as an atheist American than you were as a black American! I was stunned but not because I was atheist. At that time I had many of the doubts and toyed with many of the questions peculiar to atheists/agnostics but I didn't yet know I was one. <😉😉

Nothing regarding Texas will ever surprise me, especially regarding religion. I can imagine what a top ten list of worst places to be an atheist would look like, so many states to choose from, the entire south and mid west. i don't know if there is anywhere GOOD to be known as an atheist, you get a bit of hate and hassle just about anywhere, and I'm quite sure it is downright dangerous in many areas.

I am glad to be in California. I wear atheist and pro science t-shirts and regularly receive compliments. Nobody has ever bothered me (yet). Very sorry for those (who are many) who live in hostile pro-religion communities.

I too live in California and have had the same experience you've had when I mention that I am atheist or agnostic. I've had no negative responses though one black American friend who is theologically conservative and a very compassionate soul, did his best to get me back on the rails. Now that he knows me he sees me as a good person and has said as much. I laugh with him about it but it's a real puzzlement to him that I could be a good person and not be a Christian.

@SLBushway I read your bio and you are a jerk...

@SLBushway I haven't read your bio, and already it's clear that you are the biggest dick head on this thread.

Everything is bigger in Texas except brains.

And dick size. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

@Piece2YourPuzzle So that's why its called "The Big Apple". =0}

If Texas would secede contrary to popular opinion they would not be an independant country. The constitution of Texas mandates they become 5 states. That would mean 10 Senators instead of 2. And who knows how many representatives the gerrymandering would create. So it is better we keep Texas as it is. In the 70's one joint of cannabis could get you life in a Texas prison.

By definition, if Texas was to secede, it would no longer be part of the US; ergo. it would have no US senators or representatives. Those 5 "states" would all be states of the new country of Texas. I'm all for it.

@Happyatheist Hmmmm. I must look into this aspect.

@Happyatheist Well I did some research & there is much disagreement & interpretation on Texas & secession. Such an event would end up in the Supreme Court & then no one would be happy. So suffice it to say there are differing opinions on this issue, but as a separate country of Texas was not addressed. So here we are.

Wow, a lot of members here in the Top 10. My sympathy to you. ?

I would say your state is insane but then again I live in Arizona.

For The Win 🙂

I lived in Arizona six years and found a range of people and belief systems. If you think AZ. is insane, try living in Tennessee where I have been living the past three years caring for my elderly dad. At least AZ. has a tolerable level, Arpiao notwithstanding. I liked the Grand Canyon state a lot.

@dogshadow Thank goodness Sherriff Joe is gone now. Glad to hear about the range of beliefs.

Yup. That's my home state. Still live in Texas. I find it a little harder to be a proud Texan every day.

LOL

Texas is really fucked up.

I knew I was in an alternative universe upon approaching the door of a restaurant and seeing the sign, "Loaded firearms not allowed in this establishment." That was in Corpus Christi.

@Happyatheist

OMG!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.