Agnostic.com

76 3

God is a ____________?

Marcus_Angelus 6 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

… nebulous concept used by power structures as a tool of oppression of the masses who desperately want to believe that someone cares about them and their pain and can ameliorate their crippling sense of fear and loss.

@evestrat: I'm a linguistic exhibitionist. 😉

Wasn't that tRump's platform? Or any other fascists for that matter?

Anagram of dog. I prefer dogs 😉

Prepering dog to god is a mark of wisdom and sanity.

Dog is real and dog really does love you unconditionally

a mind trap.

@spacearkdreamer , sorry you lost your friend. I try to be like the smart old beaver that was caught in a trap when I was very young and through shear force of will pulled my foot out. Yes it left scares but, once they healed that stopped hurting but, now that they have they serve as a reminder of that trap. Now as I travel about the pond I carry a stick to spring the traps I encounter.

A sick bastard. An absentee landlord. Or a Real Estate developer, if Michelle Shocked is to be believed.

a.... big disappointment... If that's the best he can do he should will himself out of (my) existence.

kid with an ant farm?

If so, I guess he loves to use a magnifying glass, and devise other ways to torment the "ants".

@snytiger6 i used to do the same sadistic shit lol. maybe i'm god too.

... handy myth.

I think that shoudl read FORMERLY handy myth. I think society has outgrown the purpose for which it ws created.

I still see too many that are currently very much entrenched in god-making myths.

evolutionary adaptation.

skado Level 9 Dec 24, 2017

There does seem to be some evidence that this is a belief system that can bind social groups. It also creates "the others" who don't believe. However, there is also evidence that when monks & nuns are in deep contemplative prayer circulation to the right parietal lobe is restricted, giving the individual a sense of being a part of something other than "self". In other words an out of body experience.

@BCCPT2001 Thanks. I hadn't heard about that. So interesting what we find when we go looking with science.

Narcissist!

man-made concept and I mean man.

G O D. (Greatest Of Deities) But which one ?

scam used to exploit gullible and desperate people.

BD66 Level 8 Dec 21, 2017

God is a figment of deluded imagination, inspired by fear of death and desire to understand that which is not understood, while justifying oppression, racism, moral judgementalism, and hypocrisy.

One of the most narcissistic maniacs ever! Just kidding! God is a horrible villain man made up to control and scare the weak minded, yet threaten the strong minded ridiculous, yet silly punishments such as everlasting fire when they can’t get their way.

superstition

Insane immoral monster. Or nonexistent fairy tale character. Probably the latter.

A god can be a sadistic, selfish narcissistic, egotistical dictator.

mythological deity worshiped by people who are too stupid to think for themselves. Hmmm, that came off a little harsh.

(I like the comments others have posted. I guess I'm a little nerdy in looking at it from the scientific perspective.) I read an article in Astronomy magazine a few years ago which proposed the idea of humans, with future technology, creating another "bubble universe". In creating the bubble universe you could theoretically transfer DNA material into that universe within the SPLIT-SECOND that the worm hole to that universe remained open. Is this playing God/god? SO, if some other intelligent species have come by this ability and created our universe....? (An interesting thought in my book) In conclusion, God is a society, collective, or a group of experimental laboratory technicians.

Figment of imagination that weaker minds cling to for security.

Sociopath. As Dawkins said, and I quote, "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction. Jealous and proud of it; A Petty, Unjust, Unforgiving Control-Freak; a Vindictive, Bloodthirsty Ethnic Cleanser; a Misogynistic, Homophobic, Racist, Infanticidal, Genocidal, Filicidal, Pestilential, Megalomaniacal, Sadomasochistic, Capriciously Malevolent Bully."

Man made construct. A tool used by those in power to exploit the masses and keep their power.

bit up himself.

Why put the "a"? It's limiting. One could say "God is found in all religions." Of course, if you also left out "is", I could say "god can be found by many names in many religons." or "God has a lot to do with wars."

God is malevolent, depraved, and genocidal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9487
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.