Agnostic.com

84 14

Casual relationship

A casual relationship where both parties are expected to be monogamous. What would you call that??

ashortbeauty 8 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

84 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A realtionship with one foot out the door.

But if it works for you and the other person there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

A monogamous casual relationship?

I meant a different way to think of it

Exclusive companionship is what I had for almost 2 years.

And how did it end? You leaving or her?

@ashortbeauty She left because I broke the rules of falling in love with her. WTF

@TheLiberalGent gotcha

A rip off. Anybody demanding monogamy while saying it's casual is wanting all the benefits of a relationship with none of the costs. Better to call it what it is "friends with benefits" and retain your ability to look for something more fulfilling and engage in whatever other dalliances you may wish.

Kimba Level 7 May 31, 2018

I'd be down. Some of us are really busy so keeping things light & just spending free time together would be nice. When/if life settles down, the relationship might become more serious, but something casual could be better than nothing at all.

Not sure it needs a different name than "casual but monogamous"

Ideal.

A good way for introverts and folks that don't enjoy 'too much' of a good thing to satiate the need for companionship, without giving up themselves in the process.

Surely that’s a contradiction? If the relationship requires monogamy then it is not, by definition, casual. Sounds like one party wants to have their cake and eat it.

I think you can be casual but committed. Casual to me just means not making serious future plans and not being too upset when a busy schedule means you may not see each other for a while. Just enjoying the time you have together when you have it without focusing on what's next.

Love your username, btw

@ghost_warlock then you're dating

My understanding is that when it becomes mutually exclusive, it becomes a relationship, and therefore no longer casual.

I'd call it an "understanding" and the expectations and rules should be understood, agreed to and honored by both parties. It can be secret or public, but honesty between the parties is imperative.

Friends

Coldo Level 8 May 31, 2018

Monogamous to whom?

Casual to me means social, sharing of interests and activities and no obligations beyond honoring plans to get together. It also means either I or any of those causal female friends might or might not have a closer, non-casual relationship with another person that includes exclusive sexual intimacy.

The question is what would I call it? I'd call it premature. I call it mutual short-selling.

The attitude isn't rooted in prudishness at all. Many jump to that conclusion. Casual sex can be a great experience compared to no sex. The same can be said for other kinds of exhilarating experiences providing a secondary short-cut to a 'settled for' substitute. Artifice always delays or prevents progress toward what is genuine.

All, admittedly, are not addictive types. For those who are, the roots of addiction are to be found in substitutes. One never gets enough of a substitute emptiness gradually grows. So little of what's authentic is required to satiate; causing fulfillment and relaxation.

I remember on the Seinfeild show. Where Jerry told George he had an arrangement between him and Elaine . Where as Jerry and Elaine would still be close friends and freely have sex when they want.

George said it would never work. So George and Jerry came up with a set of rules to make it work. It was very funny, it ended up not working.

A relationship? I guess I don't understand the differences of relationships. If you're together and monogamous then you're in a monogamous relationship. Why is it any different than a committed monogamous relationship?

It will forever be in this spot -no more no less

BTW you look identical to my cousin Nikki and every time I see you post I go 'hey when did Nikki join and she's married and catholic.......waiiiit"

Lol

It is called "we are both passing time until we find something better"

No answer !

Dating

Friends with benefits Neighbors...lol.

Fling. When there’s no longterm expectation. Longterm feelings, however, may be harder to avoid.

Marz Level 7 May 31, 2018

Not really that casual. But also, kinda awesome. Like go away, I only want to see you once or twice a month, but when I do, we have mindblowing sex, great conversation, and then go back to our lives, while neither of us is out getting STDs to pass on to the other next time. I could do that.

I love this!

@Freespirit64 I tried this once with a guy, only I didn't even care if he had sex as long as he used protection. You'd think he'd love it right? Nope. Wanted more. I didn't. Bummer.

Well alrighty... that's what my HR lady told me she wanted. Just don't stare at her at work...

@BucketlistBob I'm literally laughing out loud. I never use LOL but like I AM. Don't stare at her at work!!!! Hmm...now I'm wondering. Cuz somebody might notice, or cuz SHE might notice and get all flustery and ...

@Jenmcjen thank you for laughing. That's what I wanted you to do. You know I'm just kidding though. Our rules at work were serious. Sexual harrassment was 6 tests and 6 hours of lectures. You had to get 100% to pass. Hmmm.... I really know some stuff when it comes to managing employees and keeping a stress free environment at work. I said this because the HR lady got drunk at a Christmas party and she cut loose. We found her passed out on the floor. She danced with a lot of hourly employees and some got way to close and she kept going like it was nothing. I guess she let her wild side of her come out to play. Whew! I mostly observed in fear for both her and them. But you know... people do get silly and have fun. I have bartender at parties. And got bumped in the butt many times. It felt like a grab though. You got to ask yourself that important question... whose going to tell on you if you start getting crazy..lol.

Shall we try together first

IAS1 Level 5 May 31, 2018

Your profile sounds ideal

I would call that a temporary position which will either evolve into a committed relationship or end/become un-monogamous in time.

It's a 'lets give this a go and see where we wind up' position, but not stable in its current form.

True on the not stable part. I think that's what bugs me. I'm a yes or no person

@ashortbeauty I could, of course, crack an inappropriate joke about stable relationships and girls who love horses - but I won't ... ?

@ToakReon dork

@ToakReon praise gawd!

Hmm ... Was that joke offensive ...?

@ToakReon I am going to jump in here and say that I don't know the joke (not sure I want to 😕) but I am impressed that you at least asked. Just sayin.

Does it need a title so long as both parties understand it?

I think one party doesn't quite understand it

@ashortbeauty

Clear communication is the answer. Easier said than done however.

Well the last time I did that was 13 yrs ago..
And I have been married for 13 yrs.

🙂

I'd say not entirely casual. If there are specific expectations, that's different than casual. That's an opinion.

Ty for your opinion

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.