Agnostic.com

30 6

Do you have a book collection?

Do you have a book collection, and if so what are some of your favorite titles in your collection? If you are feeling very wordy you could tell me what you like about them.

CliffordStone 4 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh my yes! Floor almost to ceiling shelves in every room except the bathroom and utility room. Fiction, non-fiction, classics, modern, foreign, poetry, plays, prose. Children's books to young adult to adult. Comfort books to horror, science fact to science fiction. How to books from cookbooks to DIY home repair to many types of crafts. Art books, coffee table books, books without pictures. So many books, the house rule is now "if you bring one in, you must move out two." New, recreational novels are read then donated elsewhere or I'd have to buy another house. Magazines live here, too. Oh, and books and periodicals at my office, too. (Books still in bins because there's nowhere to put them.)

Wow, I want to visit

@AmelieMatisse I'm sure the books would welcome you 🙂

@pixiedust ??

I do. But it's hard to remember both titles.

Ha ha ha!

I don't have a collection. I have a library. I collect books by Kathy Reichs, Anne Rice, Louise Penny, Patricia Cornwell, Jefferson Bass, etc. I do have a whole section of classics as well.

Growing up, I had more books than I had clothes. I did have to weed a lot of it during moves. These days I have a Crochet book collection, Ancient Egyptian (their art, culture, history, language), various books the Sciences including medical, for the Non-Fiction side of the library. In the fiction side of my library I have collections of Star Wars, Harry Potter, Tolkien, and various titles on fantasy and fiction. Huh... My choices don't really match each other. Oh well, I like different topics.

Yes. I used to have a much larger collection but I moved so many times I kept having to weed out. I have 2 shelves with authors who wrote in the 20's or authors who wrote about authors from the 20's. I have 2 shelves of books dedicated to artists and half a shelf dedicated to writings either by or about members of the Bloomsbury group. I have a shelf of female authors, whom I met. I have another shelf of esoteric stuff.

Have you read Mrs Dalloway? And what do you think of E M Foster?

@Ellatynemouth I read Mrs Dalloway about 25 years ago along with some others. I need to re-read her work. Her style doesn't necessarily appeal to me but I think part of that stems from reading too many biographies about the Bloomsbury group and how difficult she was especially with Vanessa. I also read Forster a long time ago..... Howard's End and A Room With a View. Again that particular writing style isn't my thing but I enjoyed him more than Virginia. I just re read a Wharton novel, Ethan Frome, depressing.

@AmelieMatisse

That's interesting, thank you.

In some ways their lives were more interesting than their work lol.

It's a curious thing about Mrs Dalloway. My father read it recently, to try and 'get' it. He hated it. However, he decided to give it another go and after the second reading he appreciated it much more.

I've never read it, but I know it's written in stream of consciousness style.

I have a huge book collection. I have a wide variety, but heavy in science fiction/fantasy (Margaret Atwood, George R. R. Martin, Philip K. Dick, Lev Grossman, etc.) I have a lot of classics. I enjoy graphic novels and comics, current faves are Bitch Planet and anything written by Scott Snyder. I buy and read all the Charles Bukowski and Kurt Vonnegut I can get. I mostly buy used books and enjoy hunting through stacks and boxes to find treasures for my library.

I love when I get to meet an author and have them sign books for me. Two of my prized books are ones I had signed by George R.R. Martin and Neil DeGrasse Tyson ???

This was my first post here! Hello everyone! ?

I once found a paperback of The Omen for a quarter. I was pretty pleased with that since I have been a horror movie fanatic since I was a little boy, and The Omen was one of the movies my dad claimed was as good as the book. I would like to clarify I am not talking about the movie released in 2006.

Yes. Russian section, greek and roman section, classical novels section and misc section ?

A large one. It would take too long to tell you about the ones I liked the best, and it would depend on when I told you.

More an amalgamation than a collection, but yeah, I have a few hundred with science probably the leading category, and religion/reason also well represented.

A group of books that I really enjoyed “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George RR Martian. It is an evolved story of War and fantasy with a base of realism drawn from medieval events all set in a very well thought out world that draws you in to the mythical lands called Westeros and Essos. The characters are deep and well developed with many dimensions to their personalities. The only series that come close is the Dune series by Frank Herbert and JRR Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.

I have been re-reading those to see how close Game of Thrones sticks to the books...so far, except for some age changes and of course the depth of each character, the plot seems to be in alignment...I love all of those you mentioned...I love series....

A small collection, several reference and a few waiting to read. I mainly give read books back to a charity shop.

Ohh I never do that. Every book I read end up with scribbled comments all over the place. Such book is customized, valuable and irreplaceable to me.

@IamNobody I would have been beaten for writing in a book as a child, so I rarely do it and when I do it's a keep book and the writing's in 9B! But I admire you for your freedom 🙂

@girlwithsmiles I have heard that before, like it's a horrible thing to write on a book. I completely disagree with that idea. Of course one can write stuff down somewhere else like on a notebook or notes on a file buried somewhere but as long as the book and those notes are separated, one or the other will be lost and then those notes become meaningless. That's I like to keep them together. Even better, those notes over time seem to change when in reality we are the ones who change. I find a lot of pleasure going back to a book I read years ago and find those notes telling the one I was then, which likely I am not today. We evolve, learn, etc. ahhhh books, such a wonderful thing.....and sorry you were taught not to write on them as a child. However, I do have good news for you !!!... as long as we are still alive then there is a chance to start almost anything !! Have a nice Sunday !!!

@IamNobody thanks and thanks 🙂 I may start getting the pencil out more frequently!

@girlwithsmiles you may want to consider the yellow highlighter as well !!!... it's fun too 🙂

@IamNobody depends..like if it's a book your using to reference data and research..highlighting or writing marginal notes is fine..but in books that are an investment to keep pristine I would say no...

@Ravenwolfcasey that's fine, it's a personal choice. All my books belong to the same category... To read and learn, therefore I write on them all the same.

After moving a # of times decided to weed out. They are so heavy. Have a bunch of Stephen King but not all. I think I have all of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Harry Potter, Eragon and still many miscellaneous books, most of which I haven’t read. I still bring books home from the library and absolutely love my nook.

I do, though I haven’t been able to add to it since college so they’re mostly manga and young adult supernatural books.
My favorite would have to be the “Fallen” series. About a angel that chose love over God. So God curses them.
I started the series before becoming an atheist but still enjoy it.
I think I like supernatural books because they add pizzazz. It’s not just regular life problems.

I enjoyed Paradise Lost by Milton, and the Divine Comedy by Dante. I just lump it all in with my "mythology" section. I especially liked Milton.

@CliffordStone I've heard of them but haven't read them. I'll have to check these out.

A small collection and some books I've not finished yet.

I'll tell you about my "atheist" collection.

The Hitchhiker's Guide books are an inspiration for humanists.
The God Delusion
God Is Not Great
Letter to a Christian Nation
The Selfish Gene
Your Inner Fish

My other books are sci-fi or humor or math and technical stuff.

What about your books, Clifford?

I have The Elements and Mad Science, both by Theodore Gray
The God Delusion
The End of Faith
Paradise Lost
The Divine Comedy
The Canterbury Tales
A Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell
A book titled "The Human Brain"
The Omen
Everything's Eventual
The Story of Psychology
The Moral Animal
Quadrivium...
A handfull of books on mythology, a few poetry anthologies, and then we get into the stuff I have stored in the basement. Lol
I also have a pre-Civil War publication of a Latin-English dictionary, and a few other books not quite that old.

Great list I own all of those too

Every book written by Raymond E Feist, in hardcover, most signed, getting the last few signed thsi month. Everything by Janny Wurtz, Robert Jordan, David Eddings and numerous others. Yes, fantasy nuts.

I see you love SciFi/ Fantasy . I'll add to those Terry Prachette , Robert Heinline , Issac Isimov , JR Rollings , Andre' Norton , Robert Aspin , JR Martin , Mercedes Lacky , Sir Conan Doyle , Agatha Christi , etc .

I am a book collector
I have some first editions and hard to find books
One of my favorite is a rare children's book called " Wilderness Champion"
Other favorites are first edition Dr Seuss books..
I also own and collect hard to find occult..free mason..witchcraft...political...and cookbooks

Not anymore, use and dispose. Music yes, digital movies yes.

I used to have thousands before I moved but I had to sell/donate them all. I only kept one for the plane. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. It's been my annual spring tradition since - Oh - HS? When I opened it on the plane a paystub fell out of it from 1990.

I used to have a research library of over 3,500 volumes. But I sold it to a lady who was setting up a used book store, because I was moving to another State, and couldn't take them all with me. It was mostly all history, anthropology, the natural sciences, biographies, and classics. I told myself I'd never accumulate another library again. But my problem is I can't stay away from used book sales. So now, I'm back up to about 350 books!

Yes, around 2000+ books. [librarything.com]

Yes. (Could only get a portion of the library in the picture.)

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 14, 2018

When I was approaching retirement , I bought a home to retire to . My ,"little," brother phoned our Mom and said to her , she should tell me to get rid of my books , before I move . When she told me that , I told her the , "new to me ," house I'd just bought , has a library , I'm not getting rid of any of my books . She and I had a great laugh . Many of my library shelves are double stacked , and I have three additional book cases , as well . When I was small , Mom located whatever public libraries were anywhere near where we lived , she'd get herself a library card , and each week , she'd borrow as many books as her card would permit , getting books for each of us , as well as for herself .

I have a small library with over 400 books. Almost all are fiction. Book collecting and reading is one of my pleasures.

I collect books by the British-Zimbabwean author Alexander McCall Smith. I particularly love reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and 44 Scotland Street series. I also have art books collectibles from Phaidon Press. Recently, I have been collecting Gary Larson's The Far Side series which I mostly chance upon car boot sales and high street charity shops. Then there's hundreds of National Geographic magazines on the shelves, trivia books, and my childhood collection of Terry Deary's Horrible Histories series.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96569
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.