Agnostic.com

47 4

Is it a comedians job to be vulgar sometimes?

Timmythinks 4 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was a great come back by a UK comic called Frank Skinner. After a gig a young woman approached him and said "Excuse me but I think that some of your material was verging on the offensive" He replied "Sorry love but I think that the only virgin on the offensive here is you"

Humour is good for us. Good comedy often challenges stereotypes; also good for us. Don't know that it HAS to vulgar, but I surely don't mind it when it is...

@Palacinky I would have thought that anything which "confirms stereotypes, bullies and demeans" could hardly be defined as remotely funny; ie, humour. The "us" was not conditional.

People who think calling black people apes is funny, are people I don't want to be around.

Their job has always been to push the boundaries of what acceptable in society. The best comedians ever were also foul mouthed sobs.

Actually the challenge for them is not to be.... clearly not all of them can

I feel comedians are the ones who define boundaries. If they didn't speak to the literal edge of tolerance, how would society know where we are at.

So, you think comparing a black person to an ape is funny?

its just the nature of the beast but we are all adults and should know that. remember its just a joke.

Seriously, you think comparing a black person to an ape is funny?

@birdingnut what I think is funny has no reflection on what comedians say. they tend to be abusing someone verbally one way or the other.

Of course.

I think it depends on who they are attempting to entertain. Sadly, there are always people who only find humor in vulgarity.

Comedy is just that. If you are funny you may make a job or source of income out of it, great.
And if you fill a room of fans with your material , so be it. Do not listen if it is offending. No problem.

EMC2 Level 8 June 2, 2018

Sure, for some it is necessary. For me the best comedians are the ones who are being honest about who they are when performing. I believe that is true for all people in the creative arts. It doesn't always mean you will be really good or successful, but you will feel good about yourself. Of course l could be totally wrong. ?

Define vulgar.

Professional comedians have the terms "working blue" and "working clean" to designate when they are performing for an adult audience that is expecting and ok with some vulgarity, while the other term applies to performing for an audience that is more restricted in what they will accept, like a Christian, conservative, or underage audience of kids, or for a broadcast TV audience where censorship standards don't allow vulgarity.

I prefer my comedians to be vulgar. If you don't like profanity listen to Christian comedy.

There's just only so much goody two shoes comedy before it gets boring. Comedy is funniest when it comes close to crossing the line and least funny when it is crossed. Comedians are therefore obligated to push limits but should be careful.
There are a few things that are just wrong. Racism, necrophilia, violence and many other subjects that are only funny to you if you agree or if the humor is mocking it. Therefore defence of racist jokes is telling more about the defender than teller of the joke.

Vulgarity, up until a certain extent, is highly effective in comedy for illiciting laughs.

When you're at the level of vulgarity of someone like Denis Leary, then it's not funny, but anything below that is fine.

Extreme graphic humor about blood, gore and bodily functions are also by definition not funny.

@TheMiddleWay

Okay so let's get into the science of language. When we observe some language in English, there are three main components: 1. The words 2. the visual meaning behind the words 3. the concept of the words. So in the normative context while someone may find something funny, it bears no significance in the factual context. So from there, we just unpack the word "funny" from well-backed definitions.

@TheMiddleWay

No, scatological humor is actually funny.

@TheMiddleWay

By definition, there is a definition of funny.

@TheMiddleWay

Lol go see it

@TheMiddleWay

Tornado

Yes, but not calling black people apes. That is never funny.
If you think so, you are also racist.

Not ever funny to you, and most people. Some do find humor in it, but such is life. If we start truly regulating humor, we'll truly be lost.

@SortaStoic Not regulating, just not accepting their shows. So are you agreeing that it's OK to compare blacks to apes?

@birdingnutI don't agree that it's funny but I'm not a comedian. just don't go and see them, simple. the question I thought was is it a comedians job to be vulgar? not are black people monkies?

@birdingnut i didnt agree with fuck all. you shouild learn to read before you jump down my throat.

Comedians are either funny or not. There have been great stand up comedians that did not use vulgarity as their only source of laughs, Jerry Clower comes to mind instantly. Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy, and Bill Engvall are all hilarious with out profanity, while Ron White is just damn funny.

....i liked GEORGE CARLIN
i feel drowsy around Adam Sandler/Jerry Sienfeld.
So for me yes; Another interesting fact is we remove
and add words(language is a changing aspect if culture)
hence what is vulgar ? My parents time;my nieces
time. It will change.
THANKS,good post

I never thought Sandler or Sienfeld were funny. Sienfeld's show was funny, but his standup bores me to tears. I have never seen Sandler do anything funny. Carlin and Pryor are my favorites. Carlin made you think and Pryor made you feel.

@Sticks48 to me also ; similar to trench humor.
no revulsion- because i can relate/common expierence
i can laugh with co workers_NOT MANAGEMENT-
they laugh when im confused

NO! Certainly NOT unless they have an age restricted audience (18+)! I have no idea whatsoever who these people are that you all keep citing, so I presume they are just your local `entertainers'. But to my mind, if you have to resort to bad language to get a laugh, -you're NO comedian! Anyone can eff-and-blind, there is nothing whatsoever clever, or skilled about it. We all perform toilet functions as a daily neccessity, laughing hilariously about it is an embarrassing but normal stage of developement, for pre-pubescent children, but normally fades out during adolescence. If it doesn't, the child is quite probably anally-retentive, or suffering from a delayed-maturity syndrome. Such children, and immature adults, often do get over-excited with their latest discovery, and want to show-off to the World how clever they are, to have discovered this thing, that we all do, everyday!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.