Agnostic.com

47 7

Do people actually find a soulmate or is that fake?

I've only dated 2 "boys" in my life. They didn't act like men. Are soulmates real, or is that fake? I gave up on relationships. I tried online dating, it failed. In the dating apps all these guys blew up my messenger on the app. "Hey, beautiful. Want to hook up?" That is a turn-off to me. I wanted a relationship. Not just sex. I won't get that now. When a parent ruins love for you, it sucks. Fathers should not touch their daughters like their wives. Or ask them for sex. No! I stand against abuse. So, I hope someone out there found their soulmate.

Sarahroo29 8 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Souls don't exist, therefore they cannot mate.

Lol. Yep.

The problem is people do not realize that a relationship is work. It is constant rebalance, constant compromise and constant support. If all that is one sided then you are not in a relationship, you are more likely babysitting. I often tell people who are looking to focus on a hobby and go to groups set up for that hobby... more than one if they have the time. Get to know people with similar interests and be friends first. Take time because rushing into a relationship with someone you don't know well has an extremely high probability of blowing up in your face. Learning about other people, how they are and what they might be like to spend a lot of time with is a long, drawn out thing, especially when looking for a life partner. It's too important of a choice to make through hormones or loneliness.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

I think it is time you show you some love. You are open to sharing and building a healthy relationship and no way change that ethic. But have fun. . Redefine hookup? The parent was a POS and not a parent. But I suggest healing helps us beat them at their own attempt to keep us small and vulnerable. Heal thy self and you will blossom A soul mate? I want a really lovely and sensual partner with a great sense of humor. As a woman seek a man and to hell with the boys

EvaV Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

I seek no one now.

I think they are real and sometimes we meet again on life's highways. They are special.

It took me a long time and lots of mistakes as I too had been abused as a child. However eventually I found a beautiful soul who I loved truly for the first time in my life and I believe was 'the one' my soulmate.

I've found soulmates within smaller spheres - like politics & art, but not the whole "relationship" ball of wax.

I think finding a “soulmate” is like discovering the wonderment of one’s child(ren). “Soulmate” means “good fit.” Nature does a pretty good job of putting us in touch with people for a reason. Whether it’s a short- or long-term relationship we are all soulmates, just undervalued if we haven’t known each other for a long time.

Oh, okay.

On the issue of finding, "the one".

I don't believe in a 'soul' as such. But there are people who seem to resonate deeply with our nature, though it may only be a time, before they move on. Which is as it should be, providing we are truly unconditional to each other. It is indeed a wonderful thing when we meet such people who travel on the same path with us, no matter how long or short that path might be.

Nice. I don't believe in souls either.

I have mixed feelings on this. I've found someone I've considered my soulmate who only ended up hurting me after 5 years of this feeling. So that makes me want to learn towards no, soulmates do not exist and like many say it's just who can you stand the easiest. However statistically with 8 billion people on the planet, the possibility of a soulmate situation probably exists. I've SEEN relationships that look like a soulmate pair, so maybe I just haven't rolled the die well enough yet.

Also, sorry about your experiences. I've just about given up too. So many open relationships and hook-ups, and maybe I'm just an older soul but I'm really not about that. Maybe someday all of us will find our soulmate, you never know. Stay strong.

Thank you.

I had a soulmate for more than 20 years, but cancer took her 10 years ago. I love to think I will find another, but I'm not very hopeful.

I'm sorry to hear that.

My sister found her soul mate after 55 years of being alive. Turns out he went to the same school, but they didn't talk much. Later on in life thanks to a school reunion, she messaged him thinking he was another person (her boyfriend and the person she was trying to get up with that the same first and last name, whose last name also happens to be her last name. No, they aren't related at all! Lol.) and they hit it off. They have been together 4 years now. For those wondering why she hasn't married him yet, it is because she doesn't feel the need to and the only reason she would, would be for all the legal stuff. But they are pretty independent when it comes to bills and stuff.

Wow. Cool.

I think anyone who uses the term soul mates is perhaps trying to over glorify their relationship. I do believe you can meet someone and have unique or special connection, which will be based on similar interests, similar sense of humor, similar worldview, similar aspirations etc etc. To say that two souls are mates that were made for each other by a deity or whatever, just kind of over inflates the reality of it...

I'm sorry to hear about your history of abuse. I can't even imagine what that's like and how it sticks with you. Are you going to a therapist? That seems like it would he a healthy and productive thing to do.

Have you tried bumble app? It seems to me to be an app for people who actually want to find a personal connection with another person. It's the complete opposite of Tinder or the like.

Stay strong, and never let anyone feel that you aren't worthy of love or commitment and never settle for less than you want in a relationship.

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

Yes, I'm in therapy. I don't believe in soulmates.

I think people can meet and be together for a long time, if they are lucky, that is. I don’t know about soulmate, though. I wouldn’t take that term as nothing more, but just a meaning of two people being very competitive.

Yeah.

I think we can make deep connections with others. Those could be called "soul mates." I think it's unlikely that there's one person out there who is just right for us. Knowing my luck, my soul mate lives in Tahiti, in 1778.

But there are people who call out the better of us... or who open us up. I would even say that people who frustrate us, but still call out the better, can be soulmates as well. And those relationships don't have to last a life time... they can come and go. All that matters is that a connection was made and it was effective.

Yep.

I would have say quite categorically, NO. To have or be a soulmate one must believe in a soul.
Most love seems to be one sided, one party is more in love than the other.
A person in love really believes in the absolute value of the beloved, who in love is always held to be in greater and incomparably more valuable than the loving subject, because real love of its essence aims at the absolute. The absolute is its only object; all other objects leave it unsatisfied.
I feel that mutual love is an inter-subjective experience. In affection finding the other is inseparably connected with finding oneself and visa versa. Each enters the limelight cast by the others consciousness and in so doing each comes within the luminous sphere of his own radiation which while illuminating the other is reflected in his own consciousness. Mutual love is a reciprocal relationship. The experience of one is also that of the other. Did I mention I am emotionally challenged? Everything for me must be understood rather than felt.

Oh, okay.

Unfortunately I think ones dating sample size has to be larger to really get a good grasp of the kind of people that are around you. You don't really get a full picture after only dating two people.

"Soulmate"once meant something, and it may well again, but it's been overused to the extent that it now means little more than a weekend "hookup."
To me, the concept means the one, the only, the one-in-a-billion person who is completely compatible in every possible way. I don't think it happens twice.

I don't know about "soul mates", but I do know of married couples where they're basically perfect for each other and comfortable to the point where they could shit on the rug in front of the other and they wouldn't mind.

I was certain i had met my soul mate, ( love at first sight ) and was equally certain the feeling was reciprocal. Ah, ... "feelings" or the biological, neuro-chemical brew that happens. Should we "go with it ?" I'm suspicious, and consequently, cautious. It was a little complicated as she had two children and the relationship with her ex was ambiguous from where i was standing. There seems to be the expectation that the male will lead, and i've never been much of a mind reader or any good at un-jumbling "signals". Anyway, it didn't happen. She moved on. Retrospectively i think she really want to get the sex happening, grew impatient / frustrated and moved on. She is a highly organised lady and i even spotted a bossy streak in her now and again. I'm not convinced of the idea of a soul mate for a variety of reasons based on some understanding of biological drivers, tempered by my own and others experiences. Endlessly discussing and attempting to untangle the drama of relationships has made the likes of Oprah and Dr Phil et al mega wealthy with no discernible impact beyond the titillation of couch potatoes. I may have missed the opportunity of a lifetime or dodged a bullet. Neither of us will ever know.

I've been single almost 30 years and I have found my soulmeet yet and eventually I'll find her

if somebody you're in a relationship with connects with you in a positive way in the areas of life that are important to you as a human and a female i would consider that person a soulmate, although i don't believe in the soul. good luck

The term "soulmate" is used by marriage bureaus in some countries. Among billions of men and women , to find the so called "soulmate" it would take nearly 100's of years to find the one. Which means no one is perfect.

No such thing...in my opinion. I am sad for you that your father was a pervert with no soul. Not all men are that way, many are, but not all. I hope you are seeking therapy for the scars he inflicted.

Yes, I am. Thank you.

🙂

Soulmates are real to:

A- people that believe they exist.

B- and among those - people who think they have successfully found that soulmate.

Personally, I don't believe in the concept, as there are multiple people that each of us can connect with deeply. Some of course, much more than others.

Just a name we give to that perfect match among equals.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9743
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.