Agnostic.com

47 7

Do people actually find a soulmate or is that fake?

I've only dated 2 "boys" in my life. They didn't act like men. Are soulmates real, or is that fake? I gave up on relationships. I tried online dating, it failed. In the dating apps all these guys blew up my messenger on the app. "Hey, beautiful. Want to hook up?" That is a turn-off to me. I wanted a relationship. Not just sex. I won't get that now. When a parent ruins love for you, it sucks. Fathers should not touch their daughters like their wives. Or ask them for sex. No! I stand against abuse. So, I hope someone out there found their soulmate.

Sarahroo29 8 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

not fake. some are lucky to have that. my parents have been married 64 years and they still look in love

Oh wow. I'm so sorry you've experienced that. All of that. I can't say for certain on the soulmate thing (having never found one for myself). But, I do wish to believe it.

Duke Level 8 Dec 22, 2017

Unfortunately what you're describing with online dating is the fallout from society "swinging hard the other way". Sexual morals were so bottled up prior to the sexual revolution. I feel as if hookup culture misses the humanist aspect of respecting your fellow man. Morally I can't justify "just hooking up" because to me humanity evolved to have sex form social relationships. For it to be moral I would have to have consent and be willing to not become emotionally attached, something that is very hard for me. As far as finding a soulmate I believe that two people can be just that compatible. It is a rarity though and something you shouldn't have to have.

I don't know if there is a "soul" but I do know that men & women fit together physically like puzzle pieces. I think the trick is to find the exact right piece of the puzzle. I also think that if you give up on it then you'll never feel complete.

Remember life is a test, & a dangerous one at that. Be careful out there.

I would say that soul mates do exist, and if someone is lucky enough to find one then they are far more wealthy than any billionaire on the planet.

Most people settle. Some stay single. A very lucky few find a genuine life partner who brings them fulfillment in all ways.

"Hope is gone, and she confessed
When you lay your dreams to rest
You can get what's second best,
But it's hard to get enough."

• David Wilcox, Eye Of The Hurricane

To me a soulmate is someone you had an attachment with in a past life and we would wait for each other no matter what. Being that most people in the world are "fucking around" (pun intended) in gets harder to find them. Even when we are next to each other social sterotypes can block us from each other. in example: religion.

I hear you on the sexual abuse. Me and my wife were abused.... we had to just move on and let it go... we understand it wasn't our fault... hell, I think 5 out of 6 kids are sexually abused... some don't even know it abuse untill they think back and remember something... then it clobbers them. We all got to work through it are it will consume you. As far as soul mates go... thats just a fantascy . I wouldn't base a happiness on words... just focus on the respect the person shows you and you'll know if they are the person for you. Respect and kindness and tenderness... that's what your looking for. Love is a combination of feelings and actions that agree with you. Forget the soulmate thing.

No one wants me so I am single. It's been 1 year and 8 months out of the abusive relationship. The last one.

@Sarahroo29 thats not true about a person not wanting you. You have to move around and be seen. You keep doing the same thing every day and you will most likely see the same people. Explore your options Sarah. The sky is your limit... don't give up. Find something else to do and meet people. Go hiking. Find some place where you can meet people and talk. Your a beautiful person and I beleive you can do it.

I'm not mobile. My eye sight is so bad, I'm not allowed to drive anymore. I go to the gym a lot. No one there talks to me. Sometimes the women in the locker room do. I've tried to talk to the men there. They don't talk well or care. So I workout alone. The last atheist group that I was in went hiking a lot. I miss it. No one wants to do that with me now. Either they don't have time or have no interests. I can't be around people much because I get inundated from seeing people at work all the time. I end up going home and hiding in my room. When I do get out, I go to Wal-Mart or the mall. Only for things I need. I tried online dating. That was horrible.

@Sarahroo29 Sarah! I will find an answer for you

@Sarahroo29 Congratulations... stay true to that Never abused again. But keep the faith in Love.

I can tell you that soulmates can be found. I found mine when I was 38. Unfortunately, we were both married to other people when we met. I had been married for 14 years at the time and she had been married for 10. Extremely long story short, my soulmate and I were married about two months ago and I have never been happier.

Cool.

I would characterize my marriage as being worthy of soulmate status. We started out as close friends and that has been the foundation for our relationship of 36 years. If you start as friends and always keep that friendship you can overcome anything life throws at you!

We may have thought with each marriage or long term relationship we did-maybe someone who is with their partner till death like my mom and dad. Though I remember my father;s words as a teenager whenever we fought- "What do you want me to do -leave your mother,"? Were they soulmates? My dad and mom were married almost 60 years. I don't know @Sarahroo29.

Hello Sarahroo29, on soulmates, I have come to the conclusion that there are different kinds of soulmates. I consider my BFF my soulmate.
I had a wonderful husband for 17 years till he passed away. For me, my girl friends are wonderful. We all want our special sometime that's kind & loving to us.
I'm looking for my special person as well.
It does happen. I have experienced it.

That's cool..

I am sorry for your loss... hard to overcome. But you will know when you find it again because you seen it before... You both will feel it. Good Luck.

Had that for a time but it is possible to grow out of love. Not sure if I want to look for that kind of relationship again. I think it is possible to have a short-term sexual encounter but I think I need at lest some kind of emotional connection if I'm going to be that intimate with someone. When anyone's encountered the kind of betrayals you have it can be much harder to trust anyone with physical intimacy. Harder but not impossible. It's all about when you are ready. Your body, your rules.

Taken literally, probably not. But it's a fitting metaphor for a good fit.

skado Level 9 Dec 22, 2017

If you don’t believe in the premise of a soul, seems pointless to ponder further..? I think we’ve the ability to ‘lock in,’ so to speak.. To become so emotionally connected that we’d die for our mate, which may be the necessary mindset for protecting offspring? Few human ‘laws’ appear to reflect our biological base behaviors...

You seem high-octane, most guys can’t handle - let alone appreciate that. I’ve a daughter for which it may take longer, and she’s ok if a permanent r/s never happens. And, as the father of daughters ..a loving father protects - period Heal, you Atheist Warrior 🙂

Varn Level 8 Dec 22, 2017

Relationships have become different than they use to be the world has changed so much. I though I had found mine , but alas too many things pulling us apart, very sad because everyone wants that special someone. But it is so hard now .

i think some do

I guess it depends on what you mean by that. I don't believe in a soul, and therefore no soulmate. Soulmate kind of implies destined to be with each other. I don't believe in destiny either. But if you mean, "everybody has someone out there to be with and be happy", then yeah I believe that. I have not found my "soulmate" yet. But through the sheer scope of combinations of people that there are out there I believe she exists.

is a match. Could be a Friendship Match or Romantic Match... I have a buddy of mine in high school we have different agendas and yet we found this common ground that we never had an argument of any kind. Haven't seen him in many decades. Died a Year Ago... It hurt me more than I thought just because among other things he was the only witness of things and adventures we did together including saving a junkie's life from an Overdose at when we were 18. Beavis and Butthead kind of thing. I have a few friends of the "Old Guard" Like That. There such a thing as a match or mate. I found a soulmate and we opted to find each other in another life... will it happen? will it be true? can we recognize each other again? there is such a thing of "love at first sight"... beyond serious attraction, some say those are souls that met before and recognize each other. May Be True, May Not Be. Soul or No Soul... I believe in the Soul that makes me Unique. I believe in Spirits that reach us and move us for a bit. They don't stick around for long and they still subject to our soul while in us. We all need a Witness to our lives... Better to be a Match to Who we are. Don't give up Hope... because they are out there wondering about Us.

It's a lovely mind game.

In 1973 this girl I really liked her told me... "You May Not Be It but If You Are at The Right Place at the Right Time... You Are Going To Be It". Well, I got Tired of Being It and I am Sure She Was Glad. But Here is The Teaching of a Lifetime... We Were One of the "Couples" in the College. I know Once We Ended It... all Eyes Were On Me and On Her. We Handled it with Dignity and We Stayed Friends. No Scandal. She Choose a Musician... I Choose an Harem and Never Again Got Exclusive. I saw her new beau very Pissed when they broke up. We were friends... I didn't asked him or her, not of my interest. There are SoulMates I found one and we decided to postpone it for another life. You Can Only Do That with Soulmates Kiddo!!!! Nah, was not the 1973 girl. And you can Fake Soulmate but the Souls will Know. So Don't!!!!

I've never found a soulmate. Whether one exists or not, I cannot say. If one shows, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If not, I won't be surprised. Expect the worst, so when something good does happen, it'll be that much better.

I don't believe in "soul mates" per se, but i do believe that some people find someone with whom they are highly compatible. Unfortunately tht is the exception and not the rule.

If you want to meet people online, rather than a "dating site",, I'd try a common interest site like meetup.com, where you will encounter people with at least one mutual interest in each Meetup group you might be interested in. And, i fyou dont' meet anyone who would make a good date you might still at least meet a good friend.

As a gay man, I think finding good friends is a lto harder than finding sex partners. So, I value finding possible "good" friends much more.

I wrote you a reply once. But this site isn't working too well rn on data or Wi-Fi. So I will write this again...

The last time I was in a local MeetUp atheist group, a 67-year-old lonely man befriended me. He became infatuated with me. I'm 29 and told him I only wanted a friend. He said him too. I found a man my age on a dating app and was dating him for a while. We broke up a month later. Anyway, this atheist got jealous and mean. He blocked my number and me on Messenger. Now before I blocked him for good, we had made up as friends. He exposed himself to me. I am an at-risk adult. I called the cops. He lied to the cops to get out of the charges. Then lied to the atheists group and I was shunned out basically. I have a invisible restraining order on him. If he disobeys it, I was told to get a real one from the police. I didn't take into consideration as to why he has cameras all over the inside and outside of his house. He has a lot of guns. Semi-autos and hand guns. I have not spoken to him since I blocked him. He used me. Also used my mental illness as a leverage to get out of trouble. Who would the police and atheists believe? A white older male or a mentally ill 29-year-old?

@Sarahroo29 At least there i snow a police report on the guy, so if he does it to someone else, then the police can establish that there is likely a problem and the guy needs to be watched.

There are assholes and predators virtually everywhere... not that I am tryign to make you paranoid. Most people are not either. Personally, if the other person was the one to initiate contact, I am reticent about sharing information of a personal nature. Of course I am pretty reclusive by nature, which to some people makes me seem stuck up, which I guess is better than appearing vulnerable and a possible target to be taken advantage of.

I happen to be gay, and am mostly attracted to Asian guys. A couple months after I moved to Portland, I met a guy, we had "a fling", and it turned out the number he gave me to get in touch was invalid.

So, Portland has a gay Asian group that meets for social events, and I strted going to those. It turns out that the guy I had the fling with was a board member, and althoug hhe represented himself as "single" when we had our fling, it turns out he had a long term partner. So, after I attended a few events, I get an email telling me I am no longer welcome at the events because someone accused me of coming onto them sexually and stalking them.

Anyway, after making a few inquiries, I found out that they I had the flign with, handled emails for the group, including handling RSVPs for events. So, basically I got banned from the group and falsely accused because he was afraid his partner would find out he was beign cheated on.

So, I started going to meetup groups that did day hikes. I have yet to go to an atheist meetup. I have been to LGBT meetups, hiking meetups bicycling meetups, and a meetup especially for those who appreciate craft beer. I think part of my reluctance to go to an atheist meetup is that when I grew up in a religious family, I didn't want to identify as religion being what defined me, and I don't want to be defined either by my atheism.

Well, anyway, I think my point is that life goes on, and the longer we let past events define us and affect us, then it only makes a greater victory for the assholes of the world.

The best revenge against all those who hurt or betrayed you is to make a happy life for yourself in spite of what peopel have done to you or tried to do to you.

I do think that if that guy knows where you liver, you might consider moving, especially if he has a gun collection. That you make a police report though would probably make him very hesitant to do anything against you, as he would likely be one of the top suspects. If it were me, I'd still move. I tend to usually error on the overly cautious side. The plethora of cameras you mentioned would suggest (at leaat to me) he may be either paranoid or into something illegal. Like I said I am overly cautious.

As a lost note, I would generally beware of older single people who don't seem to have all that many or any friends. I am not adverse to making friends outside of my own age group, but when I first came out (as gay), although I was 23, I still looked like i was 16, and a lto of older guys came otu the woodwork thinking I was naive and easily taken advantage of. I think perhaps tht is why I present as aloof or stuck up (which develoed into reclusiveness), which is something I developed as a defense to deter predators. I pretty much kept guys who were older at arms length. If you tell them anythign personal they just tke it as encouragement and wonder how they can use it. So, when they ask questions I only gave them general nonspecific answers. Let the other p[erson reveal themselves first, watch their body language and make sure waht they are sayign matches how they are behaving.

I am told that not everyone can read body language easily. I have always been a narual at it. People often reveal the most when they think they are not beign observed. If you can't conscious read people then pay attention to your instincts. If you instincts say there is something wrong with a person, ALWAYS trust it. The biggest mistakes i have ever made about people was to not listen to my instincts. There was a point in myu life where after a couple of drinks I'd argue to myself to give a person the benefit of a doubt, even though my instincts said "get away from this person", and I always regretted not listening to my instincts, which picked up on something my conscious mind had missed. ALWAYS give your instincts more weight than what a person tells you.

As an example... You mentioned you told the old guy that you didn't wan tto be more than just friends, so you picked up on what he wanted. He told you that was all he wanted too, and you let what he said carry more weight than what you felt instinctively.

A lot of human mistakes can be traced to the erroneous belief that man is separate from animals, when in fact man is an animal. We evolved, and our animal instincts is how we first survived as a species. Peopel make the mistake tht thinking that just because we can reason, that we can always reason things out correctly. I myself have a relatively high IQ, but I have learned over time that my instincts, which do nto seem to follow logic are more reliable for keepign me out of conflicts and problems than my rational mind, which often doesn't have enough data to make a good decision. I am an animal, and my instincts have evolved to protect me and keep me safe for a lot longer than our species had rational thoughts and used logic to figure things out. Even if it doesnt' seen rational on the surface, in a way, it is.

Wow. I think this is the longest response I have made on this site... to date. I hope you, or whomever else may stumble across this finds it useful.

That was long, but good. All older men are messaging me on this site. I give one word or one sentence answer. I'm not a fool or falling for that again. I want someone my age and whom lives near me. I don't want a long distance or any sugar daddy. I preferably now want a girlfriend. I'm bisexual. I just got off work, sorry for the delayed response.

Can you define soulmate for me? I don't mean to sound uncaring, but different people have very different definitions of the word. I have several "soulmates". One of whom is my wife. We share lots of things together including sex. I have other soulmates that I would trust with my life, we spend time together, share interests and trust each other implicitly but we don't have sex - both male and female.
I guess that your family ruined your view of relationships and I too abhor sexual abuse. Sex is a beautiful thing between two consenting adults of equal stature who are making an informed choice. Gender is not an issue in this choice. Take a step back and take stock of what you want from a relationship. Dating sites are full of predators looking for a quickie. Take time to build friendships slowly, find places where you are likely to meet people with similar interests and don't go in with the expectation of finding someone to have a relationship with. We find our closest friends in the least expected places and if those friends turn into lovers great. And if they don't, that's ok too. Take your time and don't be pressured into sex is you are not ready. If they care they will respect your feelings, tell them you are not ready for sex, but also be honest if you think you are unlikely to get to that stage say so. You don't have to justify why not, but you will know when the time is right.
If you have an interest or hobby, join a club or society and get to know others with those interests.
I am lucky to have never suffered abuse, but have spent years working with the survivors and the hardest part is often recognising that it is not your fault. There is nothing you could have done at the time to change things - you had no power to make any change. I don't know where you are based, but there are a number of groups for survivors of abuse over here in the UK which can be helpful for some people to move on. I wish you luck in your search.

I've never had loving, passionate sex. Sex is just sex to me. It's all men want with me. A soulmate to me is a husband or wife to be with until death. I get stared at a lot at the gym or even at Wal-Mart. A man with with his girlfriend was checking me up and down. That isn't nice to his girlfriend. I just look ahead. Those guys are "boys." I want a man or a woman. Men only see my face on the dating apps. I used to post full body pics fully clothed and covered up and all the men kept asking for sex. I do workout at the gym a lot, for me. Not for men. I want to be healthy. I look 19, I know. Here on this site, in the messenger, only men message me. Idk why?

Men 20+ years older than me. No thanks.

Soulmates are real to:

A- people that believe they exist.

B- and among those - people who think they have successfully found that soulmate.

Personally, I don't believe in the concept, as there are multiple people that each of us can connect with deeply. Some of course, much more than others.

Just a name we give to that perfect match among equals.

No such thing...in my opinion. I am sad for you that your father was a pervert with no soul. Not all men are that way, many are, but not all. I hope you are seeking therapy for the scars he inflicted.

Yes, I am. Thank you.

🙂

The term "soulmate" is used by marriage bureaus in some countries. Among billions of men and women , to find the so called "soulmate" it would take nearly 100's of years to find the one. Which means no one is perfect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9743
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.