Agnostic.com

14 6

Are there limits to your skepticism?

For me, skepticism is at the root of agnosticism/atheism. I have worked very hard to be a “good skeptic” where I remain open to any and all ideas and opinions.

That’s not to say that I think all positions are equal, but with a light dusting of compassion, it helps me to not label and judge others. At this point I do not think there are any limits to my skepticism. There are no sacred “cows” or beliefs that I wouldn’t love to have questioned or someone attempt to change my mind on.

Are there limits to your skepticism? If so, what are they?

tsacrey 6 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lao Tzu said: "Look at everything. Then look again. Inside out, back to front and up side down." but I tend to just follow the money. That is the easiest way to find the source.

I question everything, with an open mind. Nothing is "off limits" for me, that is my nature.

Question everything. Accept when falsifiable evidence is presented that supports the claim.

My skepticism is simple -- I only believe, i.e. internalize as being true, that for which there is sufficient evidence, hard, observable, verifiable, independent evidence.

I think I’m kinda skeptical about that.

I start with the religiously handicapped and work up to the clinically stupid. I give them the benefit of the doubt until they open their mouth. After their first poor choice of words. I toy with them mentally. Then logically ignore the gibberish.

I doubt it, just like I doubt everything else.

You are too young to be able to handle the truth! Youngins always looking for shortcuts!

What? Lol

Generally if I read more than one article about something that I have already experienced for myself, then I tend to somewhat believe it.

That's why I, unlike most Americans, don't make fun of people who see UFOs, since I've seen hundreds of them..almost always with mutliple witnesses, and often close up, both in Haiti and the US, during the late 1960s-through late 1970s, and then only once after that, in 1999, over my Kentucky farm, while stargazing with a new boyfriend.

@icolan At least one was of human origin..the one above my farm, since it was about the size of a small house, tumbling in slow motion, with oval windows, and the inside lit. The others acted like visitors from other somewhere else because of their curiosity, like following my husband and my car for 300 miles, circling us like a dog, flying off to investigate housing divisions we passed, then returning.

A human driven saucer wouldn't act so curious. The craft that picked up my husband's roommate was definitely not from here.

The documentary, "Unacknowledged" on YouTube and Netflix has videos of US presidents, astronauts, NSA agents, scientists discussing the US government's involvement with many alien races since WW ll, and even Hillary and Obama admitting on video they had read the classified files on UFOs, and implying the information was true. Even Trump has openly hinted at it.

It's good to ask questions before accepting information. Personally, though, I think some skeptics fail to draw a line between skepticism and denial. Also being a skeptic should mean a willingness to hear evidence, not a willingness to entertain ideas without evidence... which I see happen as well.

David Hume was the model skeptic who asserted that we cannot even know cause and effect. However, while denying the possibility of knowing the causal connection between objects, he accepted the causal principle, writing, "I never asserted so absurd a proposition as that something could arise without a cause."

The only limits for me are my interest level or energy. Investigation requires both.

I'm a no limit skeptic

lerlo Level 8 June 2, 2018

Critical Thinking was my favorite class - taught me a lot.

Except how to proof read. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97615
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.