Agnostic.com

27 1

Am I the only person on the planet who has to work today?

Just kidding. My mom was a nurse, so I know that plenty of people are working today. But the freeways were empty on my commute to work. How many of you have the day off?

• 19 votes
  • 14 votes
Diarmaede 7 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I only work 2 days a week, and one of them is Monday when most public holidays fall, so the odds are in favor of me have a particular day off, better than tossing a coin.

Working every holiday with the exception of Christmas day is the punishment I get for being a floral designer. Retail is a nightmare.

You could always become a teacher like me and enjoy two weeks off on the holidays.

And tomorrow, and the next day... I'm retired. But which day are you talking about?

I worked today, will be working tomorrow. And then, I will put in about fifteen minutes of work on Christmas Day.

I not only worked, I put in some overtime.

I work tomorrow and Sunday.

I spent many years working in children's homes and worked every Christmas Day, Boxing day and lots of new year's eves over the last 20 odd years.
I'm currently working in a school, so get 14 weeks holiday a year including all the public holidays.
I'm skint, but loving the work/life balance!

I am actually on permanent disability (legally blind), so no I don't have to work, but living on a fixed income is not easy. I'd rather have the good vision back and have to work.

I understand. My mother lives on a fixed income (and I may soon in order to care for my disabled son).

Wish I could help - drop me a line if you ever wish.

@DerekD I am doing just fine, thank you. Hope you find all the help an dresources you may need.

Day off for me, but only because I take it off. I have Monday off for the holiday but I decided to take Friday off to have a long weekend.

Been off since last Friday! Getting extra workouts in so I can be a Christmas pig lol.

I'm off today but, it just happens to be one of my normal days off. The weird thing though... I'm off until next Friday and because of the vacation time I've accumulated combined with the holiday pay I'll receive, I'll actually make more money next week. Weird.

Duke Level 8 Dec 22, 2017

Me too...and tomorrow also... sucks to be me

I'm sitting in my cubicle watching how-to videos.

It was either use the vacation days I had left or lose them. I had this week and the rest of the month off. Deal with me.....my mother had to 🙂

None of the above. I work every day, but I love what I do so it's not work. My minimum per day output is 1000 words on whatever is current in the pile, so to me the calendar means nothing.

@MrLizard -- The kink in the line is the idea of 'kicking out' a 1000 words or so. Occasionally it goes quickly and I meet my minimum in a couple of hours. There are other times when I start at 6 am and stop at midnight which is a normal day for me.

Most of the time gets eaten up with research or doing the physics and math to make a story work, then figuring out how to put it in the story without putting it into the story. I'm not always successful and have to repeat the process the next day.

@MrLizard -- I started out as a tech illustrator/writer for my day job. My dad was a moderately successful songwriter and copywriter, so I had some advantage in the beginning. I was also a folksinger back in the day just a'pickin' an' a'grinnin' an' havin' a grand ol' time.

Nurse working the graveyard shift...

I'm a radio news reporter and I work 7 days a week regardless of the time of year.

I'm an emergency department nurse. What is this "day off" of which you speak?

It’s worse. I’ve got two weeks off!

Not Having to Ask Me That Question While Digging in the Closet is Why I Smile Everytime I Say... "Twice Retired", For the Rest of My Life. I Made it To The Finish Line Alive, In One Piece, In Good Health... My Routine for Phase 3 of My Life is a Perpetual Holiday!!!! Pardon Me if I am Smiling Right About Now!!!

I don't 'work' at all! I have a SEVEN Day Weekend for I am blessed with WORK I enjoy - see 2 books by Ricardo Semler 'Maverick', an English [1993] 'The Seven-Day Weekend' [2003].

Working until 6am , clocking in at 6pm ... life could be worse though

No, sir. I'm at work too and it's a ghost town here!

If you're posting here can you say you're working?

SamL Level 7 Dec 22, 2017

I had to work - but only for half a day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.