Agnostic.com

6 0

LINK What Religion Gives Us That Science Doesn't

And there it is. Religion is irrational, even harmful, but humans will cling to it because of the emotional comfort.

Jlangston70 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion gives us fantastic hats. What great hats has science ever given us, I mean besides that one that holds the beer cans.

For A-theism to become a serious player, we need our own head gear.

I never really got any emotional comfort from it. Too many weird rules and confusing mandates from a bewildering deity. And since nobody can agree on the rules, it just made me anxious that I wasn't doing it right.
I still have a lot of emotional distress, and ironically, it's still because of religion. These evangelicals and their political influence makes living in American stressful.

I have very few issues with religion as long as it remains a personal belief system and stays out of the public sphere. As the Dalai Lama has aptly stated: “The very purpose of religion is to control yourself, not to criticize others. Rather, we must criticize ourselves. How much am I doing about my anger? About my attachment, about my hatred, about my pride, my jealousy? These are the things which we must check in daily life.”

IMO some forms of religion are perfectly rational and benign.

The only comfort that religion gives is the false promise of life after death. If a person realizes that life after death does not exist, all need for religion is obviated.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." Karl Marx 1844.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98771
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.