Agnostic.com

9 0

LINK What Religion Gives Us That Science Doesn't

And there it is. Religion is irrational, even harmful, but humans will cling to it because of the emotional comfort.

By Jlangston707
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I totally agree with the author of the article.
It is a common misconception among atheists to think religion is obsolete because it has a failed epistemology. To treat religion as a proto-science, replaced by real science just does not justice to the religious impulse many people feel.
It was Tim Crane, an atheist himself, who opened my eyes in his book "The Meaning of belief".

Matias Level 8 June 5, 2018

Great article.

"My claim is that religion can provide direct access to this emotional life in ways that science does not. Yes, science can give us emotional feelings of wonder at the majesty of nature, but there are many forms of human suffering that are beyond the reach of any scientific alleviation. "

This is the authors claim and I agree with it.

Rationality is great for understanding things that can be understood but when things can't, like the senseless murder of your child or if there is life after death, science does fuck all to provide answer while religion can. Maybe not the right answers, but answers non the less.

It's not rational, but then again neither are emotions.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." Karl Marx 1844.

xyz123 Level 7 June 4, 2018

The only comfort that religion gives is the false promise of life after death. If a person realizes that life after death does not exist, all need for religion is obviated.

wordywalt Level 8 June 4, 2018

IMO some forms of religion are perfectly rational and benign.

I have very few issues with religion as long as it remains a personal belief system and stays out of the public sphere. As the Dalai Lama has aptly stated: “The very purpose of religion is to control yourself, not to criticize others. Rather, we must criticize ourselves. How much am I doing about my anger? About my attachment, about my hatred, about my pride, my jealousy? These are the things which we must check in daily life.”

jlynn37 Level 8 June 4, 2018

I never really got any emotional comfort from it. Too many weird rules and confusing mandates from a bewildering deity. And since nobody can agree on the rules, it just made me anxious that I wasn't doing it right.
I still have a lot of emotional distress, and ironically, it's still because of religion. These evangelicals and their political influence makes living in American stressful.

Religion gives us fantastic hats. What great hats has science ever given us, I mean besides that one that holds the beer cans.

For A-theism to become a serious player, we need our own head gear.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:98771'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!