Agnostic.com

12 2

What’s are some of your Pavlovian responses?

AmiSue 8 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Smell of coffee in the morning

Sudden arm movements near me bring an instantaneous "duck" reflex, 50 yearsafter being a battered wife. Thanks for asking

@Theskeptic ducking........

@Theskeptic in the Deep South in the late 60's? Not likely unless I wanted to be hung, or fried, or whatever, it was simply a hobby, to beat your wife.......

I am sorry to hear your ordeal. Not right.

Oh gosh, I had that after leaving home, thank goodness the cause has been removed; if not the effect.

Wow, this is the first time someone has left an opening for one of my experiences. You know, so as I didn't have to force it on them. Way back when, we had a family friend by the name of Lou Ellenhorn. He had come to Hollywood with the unholy trio -- my dad, Hal Silene, and Lou -- to make their fortunes in the music business. Where the three of them were indeed successful enough to make quite good livings from the biz, only one, my dad, stayed in it. Hal became an artist and shaker in the advertising end of things and Lou, well, he felt a different calling. Rather than playing jazz in clubs, he thought he would be a jazzy clinical psychologist.

I was 'elected' to join a 200 person guinea pig group for his doctoral study. The study was indeed Pavlovian. He had determined that involuntary responses could be subtle and brought on by an entire range of stimuli with specific results easily demonstrated. I was fortunate in that I only had to be in the group for tonal analysis. The part in which I participated was his notion that specific tones could be discerned by the mind and used to trigger responses.

For this experiment he had designed a device that would send a puff of air into one eye or the other when certain tones were heard. The puff would cause one to blink. The test began at a slow pace and at each session the pace was advanced until at the end the range of tones were almost a continuous noise. Sadly, he was right about his hypothesis. Well, he was delighted, but we were considering all manner of possible death scenarios for the now wicked doctor.

For a full six months after the experiment ended, I couldn't listen to music without my eyes winking out some unfathomable code. I was approached a few times by concerned types who knew this or that opthamologist who they said might be able to help with my 'problem'. So, if in your wanderings you come across anyone who has an odd two-eyed independent but rhythmic tic, ask them if they know a fellow named Ellenhorn.

My other Pavlovian response occurs on my detecting the odor of bacon cooking.

Cookies and milk about 8 pm (if I'm home)

If I start playing music saved in my computer... I always end up playing music I created. Fired up some of my "gadgets" and start looking in the hard drive for lyrics I wrote, still lacking music. Congas will suffer today. The mike is fired up. The 3 Amigas Chihuahuas know is time to leave the room. I already danced with one.

Honey! Baby! Sugar! That look! That gesture! That smile! That scent! Put any 2 of them together and im ready...lol.

It’s greatly abated at this point, but in high school I could hardly stand up without being embarrassed by an erection.

@Theskeptic I’m a has-been 😟

Your father should had given you the "self pleasure lecture". Pretty "handy" at that age.

Every time I walk past crisps, biscuits, chocolate and sweets in a supermarket!

Apologizing for everything. Flinching when someone is too close. Saying "and also with you" when someone says 'may the Lord be with you' (or the force lol)

When someone's having alcohol on tele it makes we want some. If someone's talking about food on the internet and I'm hungry it can make me drool! Lols.

I'm horribly prone to suggestion when it involves food on tv

@Theskeptic I'm becoming surprisingly patient in my old age; possibly because others were patient to me when I was in my twenties and thirties!

If I see chocolate I must eat it ?. If I see wine I must drink it ?.

When a man smacks my ass...he instantly gets slapped?
When someone mentions god...I instantly turn around and take a few steps away before I stop myself?
Both true...lol

Now there's a difference between men and women.
When a woman slaps my ass l smile

I had some witty come back and decided to change it....whew!

@Sticks48 I tend to turn around and offer to the woman the other cheek of my body while mumbling softly those who slap also grab, gently.

@CrazyQuilter Yeah it's all about personal dignity. Unacceptable in public. Now in private......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98773
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.