Agnostic.com

7 2

More harmful

Is religion more harmful to women, or children?

blackdawn250 5 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's harmful to all...Period. In sheer numbers it is children...Plus the most harm is done when a child's brain is developing. Many of the mental health issues of adults have roots in early childhood. It doesn't have to be clear cut abuse to be profoundly impactful

I think it is more harmful to women than children. God blames Eve for what Adam ate from that tree. Many religious cults believe women are a lower form of life. That is just wrong on so many levels. We are all equals.

You won't believe how many times I've heard women say, if it wasn't for eve this, or eve that. Also I heard a lot of men justify women's full submission to a man, and they quote scripture. Typically older men. Women get the blunt end of religion, I fell it teaches men to treat women as property and inferior.

@blackdawn250
EXACTLY. This right here. Religion itself does not necessarily express harmful views on children as it does for women. The children are harmed by those who practice religion at a much higher rate, though. It does teach children these shitty ideas though. And let us not forget that the bible was also fine with slavery. Even beating slaves. The whole book is filled with ugliness. And the bible is only one of many religious texts that teaches these ideas.

Thanks again for all the replies, I facing love this site. Of course most of us believe religion is bad for all. Personally I'm more inclined to believe women have it way hard. Granted religion is just another means of control, I feel women have it worst. When I taken the times to read scriptures ( Bible, and Koran I have both), it makes my stomach turn. Women are treated as property everywhere. It bothers me there aren't equal rights for women everywhere. Had a discussion with one of my Muslim co workers about rights of children. It's crazy to me he believes a Lil girl is responsible for her actions when she starts her period( 6-13), but a boy at 15-16.

Yes

I think religion is more harmful to children because it has the potential (before they can think for themselves) to lay a flawed, one sided foundation that could negatively effect how they make decisions, how they formulate opinions and how they see the world. A grown woman, on the other hand, is a willing participant.

Good point I don't have any children now, but when I do I won't allow them at church until they are older and they have decided it's what they want to do.

It's harmful to everybody. End of discussion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.