Agnostic.com

8 3

LINK Is Turkish secularism under threat? | Recep Tayyip Erdogan | Al Jazeera

Istanbul, Turkey - When Mustafa Kemal Ataturk founded the Turkish Republic nearly a century ago, the former military leader banished religion from the public sphere and looked westwards to Europe for inspiration.

After replacing Islamic law (sharia) with European civil codes, he installed the principles of secularism into the Constitution, banned the Muslim call to prayer in Arabic and pushed for the social integration of the sexes, reforms which would radically alter the fabric of the Muslim-majority country which only years earlier was the seat of the Ottoman Empire.

And now, as Turkey prepares for crucial presidential and parliamentary elections, the debate as to whether the Muslim world's model democracy is abandoning its secular model has resurfaced.

zblaze 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course it is.

You betcha!

And I think ours is too, if the Southern Republicans and the Supreme Court have anything to do with it.

A good read on this is Suzy Hansen's book " Notes on a Foreign Country: An American Abroad in a Post American World" she delves into more than just your question

Turkey has been attacked for years by imbeciles.

Hair Trumpf is now a big fan.

Turkish secularism is on life support, and has been for some time. Apparently Al Jazeera is as clueless as CNN.

What I find odd is that the people don’t protest these huge numbers of public servants, justiciary and teachers that Erdogan has fired. He has tried to change the character of the public institutions there, and not for the better.

In my opinion, ALL secularism is, always has been and always will be under threat.

Yes, the current Turkish government and its supporters are a threat to secular government and society in Turkey. The EEU should tell Turkey to mend its ways of leave the EEU.

I bet the CIA are crawling around Turkey, trying to turn the clock back.

I feel sorry for the young atheists in Turkey. Turkey is a beautiful country, it's the leaders who spoil it.

That is true for every place on planet earth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99048
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.