Agnostic.com

7 6

LINK When You Argue With a Fundamentalist You Don't Know What You're Asking For | Alternet

However well-intentioned you are, bludgeoning people with fact after argument after fact will only entrench them in their position and reinforce a perception of being persecuted by the world.

What does work? In my experience, it’s empathy, honest conversation, and a whole lot of patience. Although I’d been probing at the weaknesses of fundamentalist ideas since I was a kid, my ideas only really started to shift as I developed relationships with people who didn’t fit my worldview.

zblaze 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have found in my life experience that nothing works except me getting off and living my own life in my own way and being happy with what I have-I would never argue with anyone about any kind of religion - waste of time - I don't have a need ot convert anyone or save them or whatever - they lead their life I lead mine - If by chance there is a meeting of minds that is beautiful if not it cannot be helped.

jacpod Level 8 June 11, 2018

It would be easier to teach a cat to play fetch.

I don’t.. never enter a losing battle it’s a waste of energy and you intellect

Entirely agree with you in real-world terms, but Internet discussion and debate forums aren't the real world, they're a special case.

I am in regular acquaintance with a religious fundamentalist and a political conservative (and, I'm quite sure, closet racist). They are part of a group of men I hang out with weekly and play cards with. In that setting, where they have not come specifically to debate the god question, or politics, I am content to leave those topics alone. That is in fact how people get along for practical day to day purposes.

But now if one of them came to one of the online forums, of their own free will, and pretended to have defensible views about these matters ... I would show no quarter. Nor should they expect me to; it wouldn't be sporting.

Excellent advice. I usually try to practice this but it takes a helluva lot of patience and energy; things that can be in short supply. Good post. Shared on FB.

Idon't waste my time and energy talking/arguing with them. Wasted energy.

Sassy you are exactly correct

Logic and reason is their kryptonite. The comfort they derive from their opium (faith) is the only thing keeping them going.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99075
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.