Agnostic.com

3 1

If one believes in a god that exists out of time, that is, is timeless, then what does it matter if you look forwards or backwards to Messiah? I don't believe either one or in anything supernatural, but this is the single most fundamental difference between Jews and Christians and seems to me absurd, moot. A following question is why one would want a messiah anyway. We pity young women who are looking for their white knight in shining armor and try to raise them out of such victim thinking. Let us also pity and express pity for the monotheists in our lives eh. But ... Don't let's be distracted from the original question, at top of this post.

SteveBeeney 4 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fun question for the going story that is Christianity. I assume though that those considerations made by humans must necessarily be rooted in our subjectivity and perceived time frame. As we are used to the forward motion and anticipate the future naturally, it only makes sense that humans would anticipate the second coming instead of lingering in an unknowable past. The second coming, if it were to happen would have present life-altering effects that are innately more exciting than the supposed application of forgiveness two thousand years ago that putatively stands today. It would only make sense, and would readily be pointed out to you by a Christian, that God is of awesome power and we would be arrogant if we supposed we could even attempt to perceive as Himself.

My biggest problem with the whole existence out side of time is that it means that God does not exist in time and therefore does not exist. Apologetics get so desperate that they actually often destroy their own positions. If God exists outside of time he is not in the past, present, or future. The argument here is that he exists because he doesn't exist.??????

I am well versed in Jewish and Christian theologies and histories, OT & NT Bible. I invite Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses inside, where I delight in pulling their evangelical pants down and laughing at their tiny theological, not to mention rational, weenies.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.