Agnostic.com

43 5

TV or not?

How many here have pulled the plug on their tv?

• 68 votes
  • 25 votes
sloryd 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i am disabled. i spend a lot of time on the edge of my bed, on this laptop, or in bed, sleeping, or in the kitchen cooking as fast i can so i can get off my feet. thrice a week i go to adult daycare, mostly because if i don't go, my guy, who has alzheimer's, won't go, and he needs it. i also have tinnitus, and need some sound to drown that out. at the daycare i am the vj and i keep the music going, which most of the others really enjoy and appreciate. when i get home, i want my msnbc so i can know what's going on and what it means, and my science channel, and my pbs, and my doctor who and murphy brown and it looks as if new amsterdam is also going to be worthy my time, not to mention the old movies i have always loved, and sometimes even shows i loved in the past. i don't watch any old crap. except for the two shows i just mentioned, i am pretty much network-free, but i can't afford a streaming service. so cable, expensive enough, it is. i like what i like and i learn a lot, and i supplement that with other sources too. tv can be a big brainwashing influence. my brain is way too dirty to be washed successfully.

g

I didn't vote because it's not an all or nothing thing. But to me the question is just like the women who say they don't need a man. You can rationalize anything you want. But given the wide amount of things that television can provide, knowledge, education, entertainment etc., to say you don't need tv is to say you don't need knowledge, education or entertainment. You may not care what's going on in the world or you may use newspapers or computers instead. You may have alternatives for your knowledge, education and entertainment but most of the people that I run into who don't have a tv think it's a bad influence on their kids etc. To me that's total BS. That's like saying having access to society is a bad influence.

lerlo Level 8 June 25, 2018

I haven't had cable in over 20 years, and I can go days without even turning the telly on. If I do watch, and it's not Netflix/Hulu/other streaming, it's comedic news or sports. Rarely US, which makes things even more difficult.

Ozman Level 7 June 17, 2018

I feel as If there should have been another option other than I can't live without my TV. You would think that this site would include some gray area.

it's not the site. it's the person. the site has not created the poll.

g

Haven't owned a tv in a long time.

Ok here's the thing.. I could...but for one thing.. and that is the News. I am a news, current affairs, and documentary fiend. For those reasons it's hard to let go..?☹

I'm a movie watcher but most shows on regular tv are an insult to my itelligence. So I have Netflix and watch dvds. I'm open to new series (Showtime, HBO, whatever) but I never watch the main networks.

Gaia is a nice site too

Life is hard enough....but life without Dr. Who and The Big Bang Theory would be unbearable! LOL and whatever would I do without "Ancient Aliens"!!!!!!!!!! I also enjoy the news and nature/travel programming on channels such as Nat Geo. I also enjoy TCM because I love movies from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. That said....I DVR everything and fast forward through all the commercials...and I watch my shows when I have time. The exception being the news which I watch live morning and evening when I can.

I watch TV online... No commercials, only the shows I want to watch, free as long as I have access to WiFi, and at whatever hour of the day I wish, so long as an episode has already aired. Frees up a lot of time to do other things besides flipping channels until something good comes on. And the internet is my DVR with unlimited storage capacity...

I detest television. I've not had one in ten years.

Too restrictive a choice:

• live TV, no, only some news services, largely foreign;
  • reality TV - never!
  • local TV, no very rarely now;
  • stream quality shows I choose very carefully, yes;

I make TV work for me, meaning I take from it very selectively, only what I want, so neither fine with nor couldn't live without;

I couldn't agree more with your first and last sentences.

I quit watching 25 years ago.

I haven't had cable or even a working antenna on my TV for several years. I don't miss it. When I visit someone's home and the TV is blaring commercials and such several times an hour I remember why.

I love to be entertained by TV

Not watched since May 12th 1988.

Bought a new smart TV two or three years ago.
Doubt I've had it on half a dozen times.

I have a TV ... go for a couple weeks at a time w/o turning it on. When I do watch, it tends to be something of an educational nature - public TV, BBC, documentaries, etc.

Wish i would as there is much else I can do, but basically lazy and lacking meaningful motivation; Fine with that- For now!

we just had around 6 months of bone-chilling cold. There are days I dont want to get out of bed! I love T.V. and books and internet and puzzles etc. Anything to occupy my mind when Im freezing!

In the middle. I love my TV, but I haven't turned it on maybe for about 2 weeks? I love video games but sometimes I need a vacation from it, especially since I'm too poor and only own 3 games, they get boring after the 45th playthrough. Sometimes I'll watch movies or netflix and sometimes I just read and sleep for weeks at a time. Ask again next week and I'll be obsessed with my tv again

I find myself repeatedly playing through Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and Minecraft. Every once in a while I'll play a new game, but I spent almost all my gaming time on one of those. Modding definitely helps extend the life of a game

@ghost_warlock I've played skyrim to death. It officially lost its luster about 5609th playthrough. I've wanted to try fallout but again, poor. I've played the three dragon ages so many times that I've unlocked all of the achievements including the rarest ones, and dated every character, every ending. I sometimes throw call of duty in just because mindlessly killing people is cathartic lol

@LadyAlyxandrea hey, they've done studies that suggest that people who play violent video games are actually less likely to go on a real life killing spree because they get it out of their system. It is absolutely cathartic!

I gave it up 15 years ago.... Do NOT miss it.

We still keep a large-screen PC as the family entertainment centre — we watch DVDs and Netflix on it, and can pick and choose from streaming channels, but broadcast TV became dire in the UK once we adopted the multi-channel system.

Until the 90s, we had just 4 channels to choose from and they each had to compete to put out the best quality stuff. Since the arrival of satellite, the market dissipated and they realised they could work far less for a smaller share of the viewers, so TV became utterly abysmal. Now most of the high-quality stuff is on-demand and broadcast TV is inane.

That's so true. It's wall to wall garbage now.

This Morning has to be the worst show on TV. Luckily I don't have one.

No vote because I don't poll to strangers but modern TVs make great PC monitors.

I moved to a new place in April. Vowed not to take my "box" tv's and other handed down, old or damaged/not working items. I have no tv in my room or in the living room. I don't miss it at all. Watching tv is unproductive and has too many commercials to brainwash people to believe they need/must have a particular product or service. I watch FREE movies on Amazon PrIme, videos on YOUTUBE, an

I spend much more time on the interwebs than on TV, although I do have quite a few shows recorded, it seems i never have the time to catch up on them.

Television is not what it used to be during the 50s and 60s with its many test patterns and the national anthems played before the stations went off the air. Back in the day I used to count the number of channels that each city got!?

I cut the cord about 4 years ago. The lady at Cox Communications did her best to keep my business. At one point she asked me what I was going to do to relax at the end of a long day at work. I told her I was going to sit outside and read a book. She laughed at me. And then canceled my service when I didn't laugh with her.

Not enough choices in this poll... I work in TV/Movie industry so I hope all of you will keep watching so I can support my family! LA is expensive! Watch TV and movies goddamnit!!! ?

Film is one of the most amazing things in this world. I watch every single speck of a movie. Commentary, behind the scenes. There is nothing more magical to me than thousands of people coming together working hard to bring a story to life, taking something from inside ones head and making it tangible. It's magic.

There is nothing more special in this world to me than the making of movies. You have no idea how much I love it. 🙂

More fantasy and sci-fi. I detest hearing sirens or alarms on T.V. I love T.V.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.