Agnostic.com

43 5

TV or not?

How many here have pulled the plug on their tv?

• 68 votes
  • 25 votes
sloryd 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not enough choices in this poll... I work in TV/Movie industry so I hope all of you will keep watching so I can support my family! LA is expensive! Watch TV and movies goddamnit!!! ?

Film is one of the most amazing things in this world. I watch every single speck of a movie. Commentary, behind the scenes. There is nothing more magical to me than thousands of people coming together working hard to bring a story to life, taking something from inside ones head and making it tangible. It's magic.

There is nothing more special in this world to me than the making of movies. You have no idea how much I love it. 🙂

More fantasy and sci-fi. I detest hearing sirens or alarms on T.V. I love T.V.

I don't trust people who say they don't watch television.

We have Youtube.

@chucklesIII I just find many of them (not all) to be pretentious
asshats. Some of them try to come across as pseudo-intellectuals
and look down on anyone who admits to watching any kind of television.
Don't watch if you don't want to, but don't act like you're somehow superior to those who do.

@KKGator , I like PBS and watch maybe an hour of Netflix a week. Other than that my superiority is just natural. Just kidding.

@chucklesIII As long as it's natural. 😉

Why?

I like TV. THERE I SAID IT! ☺

Me, too.

shame!

@hankster l know. I have never shared this with anyone. ?

@Sticks48 confession is an important step. I think repent is supposed to be next....lol?

@hankster lol

@jwd45244 Way to buck up! ☺

I rarely even watch TV, and by that I mean commercial OTA and I do not have cable or satellite. I do use my TV as a monitor for a computer so I can stream videos from the internet and watch YouTube videos.

Same here.

I'm a movie watcher but most shows on regular tv are an insult to my itelligence. So I have Netflix and watch dvds. I'm open to new series (Showtime, HBO, whatever) but I never watch the main networks.

Gaia is a nice site too

Too restrictive a choice:

• live TV, no, only some news services, largely foreign;
  • reality TV - never!
  • local TV, no very rarely now;
  • stream quality shows I choose very carefully, yes;

I make TV work for me, meaning I take from it very selectively, only what I want, so neither fine with nor couldn't live without;

I couldn't agree more with your first and last sentences.

Bought a new smart TV two or three years ago.
Doubt I've had it on half a dozen times.

I have a TV ... go for a couple weeks at a time w/o turning it on. When I do watch, it tends to be something of an educational nature - public TV, BBC, documentaries, etc.

I'm a news junkie first thing in the morning till I leave for work . It also helps me fall asleep when my mind is working over time .

I cut the cable in 2015. I live near the Iowa/Nebraska border, Iowa was having their primary, and I kept seeing Ted Cruz in my living room. I said Oh hell no! Called the cable company and bought a Roku. Never looked back. I watch Netflix from time to time, and Amazon prime. My TV is on probably less than 10 hours a month.

It was Santorum for me!

Oh geez Cruz. Holy fuck thats what nightmares are made of. Such a vile thing he is.

I love to be entertained by TV

In the middle. I love my TV, but I haven't turned it on maybe for about 2 weeks? I love video games but sometimes I need a vacation from it, especially since I'm too poor and only own 3 games, they get boring after the 45th playthrough. Sometimes I'll watch movies or netflix and sometimes I just read and sleep for weeks at a time. Ask again next week and I'll be obsessed with my tv again

I find myself repeatedly playing through Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and Minecraft. Every once in a while I'll play a new game, but I spent almost all my gaming time on one of those. Modding definitely helps extend the life of a game

@ghost_warlock I've played skyrim to death. It officially lost its luster about 5609th playthrough. I've wanted to try fallout but again, poor. I've played the three dragon ages so many times that I've unlocked all of the achievements including the rarest ones, and dated every character, every ending. I sometimes throw call of duty in just because mindlessly killing people is cathartic lol

@LadyAlyxandrea hey, they've done studies that suggest that people who play violent video games are actually less likely to go on a real life killing spree because they get it out of their system. It is absolutely cathartic!

I try not turning it on during the weekend but don’t always succeed

I was without a TV for 18 years. I've had one now for about 3 and a half years. And it's still a bunch of unwatchable crap.

I feel as If there should have been another option other than I can't live without my TV. You would think that this site would include some gray area.

it's not the site. it's the person. the site has not created the poll.

g

Not watched since May 12th 1988.

Wish i would as there is much else I can do, but basically lazy and lacking meaningful motivation; Fine with that- For now!

we just had around 6 months of bone-chilling cold. There are days I dont want to get out of bed! I love T.V. and books and internet and puzzles etc. Anything to occupy my mind when Im freezing!

I gave it up 15 years ago.... Do NOT miss it.

We still keep a large-screen PC as the family entertainment centre — we watch DVDs and Netflix on it, and can pick and choose from streaming channels, but broadcast TV became dire in the UK once we adopted the multi-channel system.

Until the 90s, we had just 4 channels to choose from and they each had to compete to put out the best quality stuff. Since the arrival of satellite, the market dissipated and they realised they could work far less for a smaller share of the viewers, so TV became utterly abysmal. Now most of the high-quality stuff is on-demand and broadcast TV is inane.

That's so true. It's wall to wall garbage now.

This Morning has to be the worst show on TV. Luckily I don't have one.

I spend much more time on the interwebs than on TV, although I do have quite a few shows recorded, it seems i never have the time to catch up on them.

I cut the cord about 4 years ago. The lady at Cox Communications did her best to keep my business. At one point she asked me what I was going to do to relax at the end of a long day at work. I told her I was going to sit outside and read a book. She laughed at me. And then canceled my service when I didn't laugh with her.

I don’t watch TV but I’m not anti entertainment either, between my phone and computer we have a plethora of entertainment options with a fraction of the commercials... with alternate devices my controll over what I see is greater and I’m more involved in what I’m doing rather than just passing out with a remote in my hand.

I've been in my apartment for 2 1/2 years. I get free basic cable with my rent but I've never had it hooked up.

Yes, I watch TV. I will always have a TV. I put probably 20 to 25 hours a month into it. Almost always before bed. Rarely on the weekends During the day.

I am not a fan. I don't even watch shows and movies on my phone/computer. I spend a good amount of my time working and doing stuff.

I watch TV online... No commercials, only the shows I want to watch, free as long as I have access to WiFi, and at whatever hour of the day I wish, so long as an episode has already aired. Frees up a lot of time to do other things besides flipping channels until something good comes on. And the internet is my DVR with unlimited storage capacity...

I quit watching 25 years ago.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.