Agnostic.com

38 10

Do you see it as child abuse forcing kids to go to Church when they are clearly sick?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel like indoctrinating young impressionable minds is a crime 100%

No one in born religious they had religious parents

Very well said!

I see it as child abuse simply by forcing kids to go to church whether sick or healthy !

It's abuse, whether they are sick or not.

It is simply stupid to take a sick child anywhere, except for urgent care or other medical facility. I don't want your sick kid's germs, keep the little germ factory at home and stop spreading the illnesses. I think parents have a choice of where their children should go and if they decide that church is their choice that is what parents do. That also begs the question of how old is that child? However, it does fall under the aegis of parenthood, my house my rules. The part about the sick child I take exception to. Sick kids belong at home. No one, in or out of church wants to deal with your little germ factory's bugs.

I agree with what others said.
It's strange. God is everywhere and yet he is in the place of worship "more". God is powerful always and yet more potent in the temple/church. God inhabits the praises of his people not buildings; your body is the temple of god but somehow the holy of holies and the Tabernacle and altar where God exists is in the place of worship.
Go figure.

Yes, but not as bad as sending them when they are not sick and could be out doing fun stuff.

It's child abuse to make children go to church at all. Indoctrinating and brainwashing them one way or another is abuse. Let the child make up their own mind on whether to believe the lie of not.

Sick or not sick - forcing religion down children's throats is child abuse.

Yes!

Yes, it is child abuse. I was dragged to harsh, punitive churches as a kid and often forced to go when I felt sick. At the time I was bitter and hateful. Now I just feel sorry for the people who forced fundamentalist religion down my throat. They are filled with fear. It must be awful to live in fear of some angry god.

What a funny question and what funny answers. Child abuse??? Like, "lock the parents up" child abuse all because a child has a runny nose? Come on people. I get that we all hated the religion we were given, but this seems a bit much.

So, all you who answered "yes", please justify why a child should be extracted from his/her parents for taking the child to church with a runny nose.

yes!

Forcing a child to go to church at all is child abuse. But let's assume it's not; in that case I'd agree with other commenters here who have compared it with going to school. Not only is the sick child being forced to complete an activity while they should be home resting, they might infect others.

If we are talking a cold or flu, then no, it would be irresponsible to label this as abuse. Call it irresponsible parenting, perhaps, but it does not fall in the domain of child abuse.

If we are talking about taking a sick child to church as opposed to seeking medical attention to treat their illness, now we have entered the domain of abuse. Depending on, of course, the severity of the illness.

Pointing at everything religious parents do that surround their children that relates to their religion and calling it child abuse is abuse of the term 'child abuse'.

Religion is at once: a sack of rocks and a warm blanket. A life lived with neither is a better life. Don't screw up your children.

acrm Level 2 June 5, 2018

Of course.

Absolutely

Dear I see church as an abuse for anyone who prefers not to attend and children always need special care and guidance

Boredom is terrible. Church is the epitome of boredom. Everybody agrees privately that it is boring but the faithful go to church to get their "ticket punched" They believe if they get enough ticket punches they will go to Heaven when they die. Of course if Heaven were real it would be living a boring existence for all eternity....
Yes...bringing up children in this boring atmosphere is child abuse.

To quote Ron Reagan (son of Ronald) - "I'm not afraid of burning in hell !" . Hell (and heaven) only exists in the minds of the mindless !

You misspelled “taking kids to church at all.” And yes.

Hahaha! I guess I did misspell. My bad!

I think the people who take their kids to church are the ones who are sick.

By all means, go on to church and spread it around. There may be some entertaining incident.

Yes, absolutely. Why would a responsible parent do that to a sick child?

I’ve known several. One parent made her sick changed with stomach flu go to church.

I’m a Jew so that would have been real abuse for me ... I didn’t know who Jesus was till college... can you imagine that. For Muslims I think it’s about the same

Yes.
And no regard for the health of the other kids in Sunday school.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99363
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.