Agnostic.com

22 3

Bibliophile Checkin

What do you guys here read? Authors? Topics?

BrightLeigh 4 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pratchett, Louis McMaster Bujold, Georgette Heyer, Military history and theory, anthropology, Sherlock Holmes, plays, plays, and more plays.Historical fiction esp Forster, O'Brian, Cornwall, and Frazer. Urban fantasy, trad fantasy, sci fi, self sufficiency, RPGs, Just started a Steinbeck jag, theatre theory and history, history generally with an emphasis on medieval Europe, and Australian colonisation. Biography, usually of actors.

@Faithless1 Regency, definitely.

Have a Heinlein I'm working on at the moment. 'The moon is a harsh mistress'

Excellent novel!!!!

Recently finished The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan and currently reading Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew by Bart D. Ehrman.

I keep seeing Bibliophile CHICKEN on the front page. Makes me go whaaaaat? every time my eye catches it.

You made me look.... Like oh my god, did I misspell it? That would have been terrible.

So when you read correctly, what is it? ?

Check-in... Never fear, it's clearly check-in. Just my eyes are crap.

I'm trying to read Proust - but it's so hard! 😟

Agnostic. com posts   by everyone !

Short list might be too long to get in in time for the first post so I'll post and add later. Whoops! Still too late.

Well here are are some favorites read, read over again and in progress:

Topic, Human Function and Behavior - Wilhelm Reich, M.D., 'Character Analysis', 'Ether God and Devil, Cosmic Superimposition', The Function of the Orgasm', 'The Mass Psychology of Fascism'. Martha Stout, Phd., 'The Myth of Sanity', Ashley Montagu, 'Touching, The Human Significance of the Skin'. Candace B. Pert, Phd. Molecules of Emotion. Arthur Koestler, 'Janus'. Eric From.Phd., 'Anatomy of Human Destructiveness'

Topics, World History, Archaeology, Anthropology, Sociology (as they do overlap) - James DeMeo, Phd., 'Saharasia, The 4000 BCE Origins of Child Abuse, Sex-Repression, Warfare and Social Violence'. Marija GimbutasPhd., 'Civilization of the Goddess'. Flavius Josephus, 'The Complete Works'. Leonard Shlain, M.D. 'The Alphabet Versus the Goddess, The conflict Between Word and Image'.

Topic, Middle East, current and history - J.M.N. Jeffries, 'Palestine the Reality, The Inside Story of the Balfour Declaration 1917-1938 (1939). Norman G, Finkelstein, Phd., 'Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict', 'Method and Madness, The hidden story of Israel's assaults on Gaza'. Alice Rothchild, M.D., 'Condition Critical, Life and Death in Israel/Palestine'. Rashid Khalidi, Phd., 'Brokers of Deceit'. Ilan Pappe, Phd., 'The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine'. Max Blumenthal 'Goliath, Life and Loathing in Greater Israel'. Alison Weir, 'Against Our Better Judgment'. Miko Peled, 'The General's Son, Journey of an Israeli in Palestine'. Alan Hart, 'Zionism, The Real Enemy of the Jews', in three superb volumes.

Amazing!

I just finished "Botany of Desire," by Michael Pollan. Great book that makes you think a little differently than the norm. I might also suggest a novel I have written, "We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy," a story of an American family dealing with familiar problems: WWII vet with dementia, meth, stalker, teen coming of age, lack of money.Above all of this another problem looms, one from one family member's past that will have you wondering who has your information and what are they going to do with it.

I think I'd have a hard time with a novel about dementia right now. My step mom is suffering, and my family has been sadly and deeply affected.

@BrightLeigh If you are going through this now, then this book might be one of the things you need to help you deal with it. The way the family works together to care for the WWII vet and some of the incidents will give you insight into your own situation. It's on Amazon in paperback and kindle.
I would also suggest that you search around for a local course or a book that helps train you for caretaking and dealing with Alzheimer's/Dementia. I took one and it made my life a lot easier and my care for my dad more effective and humane for both of us.

J. Krishnamurti “ Awakening of Intelligence” , and “ Stamped from the Beginning “ A defenrive history of rascist ideas in America, Ibram x. Kendi . They are actually more of a study than causal reading. Been studying the first one for about 5 , yrs now and recently delve into to the latter about 3 mos ago.

These days I pretty much only read non-fiction (biographies and science) when I'm not reading Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman

Just started reading the book series which is the basis of the show The Expanse. Equally amazing.

Marz Level 7 June 5, 2018

I love Bill Bryson and Paul Theroux for their travel writings. I'm also hugely into biogs and autobiographies.... Julian Cope's is awesome. I like diaries too, such as Michael Palin's and Kenneth Williams's — pretty heart-breaking though that last one is.

Otherwise..... Sci-Fi!!! And lots of it.

I am currently reading "The Forgotten Road" by Richard Paul Evans. The book is a continuation of "The Broken Road" which I enjoyed very much. My usual reading runs to thrillers and mysteries. My favorite authors are Lee Child, Robert K. Tanenbaum, Dick Francis, John Sandford, Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, Thomas Perry[Jane Whitfield novels], and John D MacDonald. I also spend my share of times reading technical books on bridge play.

Here are the recent five I've read:
Strangers in Their Own Land:Anger and Mourning on the American Right,by Hochschild
Homegoing by Gyasi
A Secret Sisterhood:The Literary Friendships of Jane Austen,Charlotte Bronte, George Eliot and Virginia Wolff by Midorikawa
The Fall of the Stone City by Kadare
Country Dark by Offutt

I'm on Goodreads as Nutmegger Linda

I like fantasy series: Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, Brandion Sanderson's Mistborn and Steelheart series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I'll read anything written by Martin Cruz Smith or Ken Follett or Elmore Leonard. I like alternative history novels and series, especially Harry Turtledove's books. I wish CJ Pratt would write more books with Eno the Barbarian, even if Eno's not in them. K Eason's Outlaw trilogy. I like biographies too. It's escapism, I get too much reality on social media and the news.

Currently reading The Raven's Warrior by Vincent Pratchett (related to Terry). Not a bad read but I wish I could remember why I ordered this one. I usually read speculative fiction. I'm not sure how to classify this one but it's basically historical fiction/fantasy. Not a bad read.

Wow! Thanks guys!!

Right now I’m reading The Lying Game by Ruth Ware.

In the past: Greg Bear, Ann Rice, Arthur C Clarke. Nowadays: Stephen Baxter, John Grisham.

godef Level 7 June 5, 2018

Current topics:

Math, health, jewish philosophy, political philosophy, physiognomy, technology, philosophy, and lexicology for starters.

Mostly fantasy, occasionally sci fi

This is a partial list of some favorites

1.Misha Burnett "Catskinner" novel series (fantasy, sci-fi, horror)

2.Adolfo Kaminsky: A Forger's Life, by Sarah Kaminsky. (autobiography)

3.Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis, (fiction)

4.Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx (autobiography)

5.The Persian Boy, by Mary Renault (historical fiction)

6.The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls (autobiography, semi-fictional biography)

7.Old Man's War series, by John Scazi..or ANY John Scalzi book (sci-fi)

8.Stranger in a Strange Land, Doorway into Summer, or most Robert A. Heinlein books (sci-fi)

9.The Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling (she's VERY C.S. Lewis!)

10.Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand (historical biography)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99430
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.