Agnostic.com
4 15

Grow a garden if you love fresh food, wholesome food, economical food and getting dirty. 🙂

Surfpirate 9 May 15
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The first thing closed down here were the local farmers markets.

FrayedBear Level 9 May 15, 2020

I agree with Allamanda regarding the storage time and issues, along with my overall discomfort that people are so dependent on having someone else prepare and serve their food, on a very regular basis. The shuttered restaurants, bars, cafes and food carts are such a blaring reminder that people are now preparing more of their own meals as they shelter in place.
I am distraught over others losing their income source, even temporarily, but it seems so bourgeois, selfish and unhealthy that society has moved to such a structure. Is there some contemporary shame in cooking your own food?

I think that a lot of people have discovered that throwing together a salad to go along with the take out food is not the same thing as actually cooking a whole meal from scratch. With any luck at all, some people will have learned a little more about cooking during the shut down.

@Surfpirate but no big rush to join or contribute to "Food Glorious Food"

@FrayedBear If the projected food shortages come to pass we will be swapping recipes for new and inventive ways to prepare SPAM.

@Surfpirate more likely porridge & kelp!

@FrayedBear I don't find that oatmeal fills me up, I'm hungry by 10 am, like a Scottish version of Chinese food. Nori is the closest I get to seaweed but my wife is on this keto diet so I haven't made sushi or sashimi in more than a year.

@Surfpirate During the Scotts clearings many survived on thelong meadow (the seashore) where seaweed became a stabple for survival.
As late as the late 60's the joke about obtaining Scottish labourers was that you only needed to hang a bag of oatmeal & pair of boots on view where they could be seen but not be stolen.
Do you eat yur porridge with sugar or honey and milk & cream? For greater calorifc value cook it with blood added & cooked in at the end.

@FrayedBear My mom's 2nd husband is a Scot from the Orkney Islands, he loves he oatmeal and his neeps but I've never seen him eat seaweed or sushi for that matter. I'm pretty sure they have tons of the stuff wash up on the shore each year but they put it on the fields instead of eating it. Of course they still dig peat by hand to warm the hob even though they are rich on oil revenues but that's a Scot for you, they know the value of a penny.

@Surfpirate it's also known as penny wise pound foolish.

@FrayedBear Little known fact, it was the Scots that invented copper wire.
Two Scots walking down the street when they spotted a penny in the gutter, both jumped on it and in the ensuing struggle the stretched that penny between them into copper wire. 😉

@Surfpirate sounds highly apocryphalic.
We, school children, used to put copper halfpennies & pennies on the tram tracks to see what happened. Most were never seen again!
Most one armed bandits and arcade machines took copper pennies. The coin changers used to spend most of their shifts looking through the coins trying to find the elusive Lavrillier Pattern Penny was cast in 1933 and is one of only four ever made. The last sale brought £72,000.

I could grow more, but there is that space/time and sun/shade issues. But I love my fresh tomatoes.

I plant a lot because some years aren't very productive, either it's the weather or the bugs or I'm just too busy to stay on top of the weeds or worst of all THE DAMN DEER. This year the deer will have to eat someone else's garden, mine is secure.
In those years when I grow too much and there is still an abundance after I have eaten, frozen, canned and dehydrated as much as possible - I share it with friends and family. Very little ever goes to waste, plus I keep the seeds whenever I can because a seed order from a good heritage seed house can easily run me $100.

@Surfpirate You remind me of my grandfather's incredibly productive garden many years ago. It was truly inspiring. It functioned in tandem with grandma's canning operation. They had SO MUCH home grown food. They have both been gone for 35 years, but I am still inspired by the memory. Still gotta learn to can. I have never done it. So far I have freezer space, but I won't have enough to store much, especially during occasional extended power outages.

@MikeInBatonRouge Canning is pretty straight forward, lots of good pointers on the internet. One thing to be aware of when canning tomatoes is to make sure that the acidity level is high enough or you can find yourself quite ill from food poisoning. I've never had a problem but it pays to add a little lemon juice, just to be on the safe side and it keeps the colours brighter too.

...the last one is the safest as far as avoiding germs...but I think the "germ avoidance" has been played out. A major part of conquering this COVID19 plague - and any for that matter - is getting immunity - letting our body develop the chemicals...the "antibodies" - to fight off future diseases.

Robecology Level 9 May 15, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 35

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,506Top