Agnostic.com
8 10

Why do you garden? I really liked this blog post, whatever my own reasons. We might garden because we're ecologists, or suffer ill-health or are hard-up, or maybe just have land that needs using, or so many other things - honour the land!
[low-carbonlife.org]

Allamanda 8 May 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember planting string beans with my mother ( who grew up on a farm ) at age 5 . I remember picking and giving some to my kindergarten teacher . Every year after that I've ether had a garden or helped with one . Just seems like the thing to do when you have a pot or plot . I'm not real good at it but being semi retired I'll have more time for weeding and keeping an eye out for pests .

Besalbub Level 8 May 29, 2020

I love the smell of potting soil and the satisfaction of getting tomatoes, bell peppers and collards from my little patch of earth.

I enjoy gardening and wish I had more time to do it. I enjoy being out in nature, soaking up the sunshine, beautifying my environment and enjoying the vegetables for the nourishment of my body in Jesus' name I pray. Amen. Oh sorry. Old habits die hard.

TMA2NC Level 6 May 28, 2020

Exercise, food, activity wards off depression, and it is a way to help others in need, and we should honor the land for we really did come from it, but just not quite like the old religious stories though. Lol...it doesn't take much thought to put the dust of death as the means of life. At least that bible books famous words, from dust we are to dust we return are basically very true. Just not in quite the way they thought it was...lol

@Allamanda oh yes! I agree. Taken as allegory and poetry, the Bible is a fine example of cultural artifact that can contribute some helpful principles, IF we treat it as the patchwork amalgam of personal opinions from very limited factual foundation that it is and be ready to dismiss the pure nonsense sprinkled throughout.

Great article! For me, gardening started in childhood, inspired by my grandpa, who was an AMAZING suburban gardener. But my first personal gardening learning projects were aesthetic, planting roses at age 10. I enjoyed gazing at front landscapes from my daily schoolbus rides, considering and comparing them, learning about how gardens totally create curb appeal.

I still love the aesthetic aspect, but with age I have also more and more appreciated both exercise and health benefits, as well as importance of doing our part to give back to nature that we humans have largely decimated. Gardening really IS a multi- purpose gift that keeps on giving. 🌹🌼🌺🌻🏵️

I just love nature. I like adding edible plants, natives and flowering plants on my garden. Help bringing the wildlife back....
Oh so many things; gardening is rewarding and therapeutic.

Zoohome Level 8 May 28, 2020

I garden simply because I enjoy the effort in gardening, the taste of the vegetables, and the sharing with friends and neighbors.

wordywalt Level 9 May 28, 2020

My husband and I have owned 4 houses together.....all very different...new construction, older home, one we acted as GC and built from scratch. Two were typical subdivision "lots"....the other two on big pieces of property - my "job" was to turn the exteriors (as well as the interiors) into beautiful little oases that could help us "de-stress" from our day jobs. We try to leave each one much better looking than when we moved in....

Lavergne Level 8 May 28, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 29

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top