Agnostic.com
11 11

Anyone have any idea what this thing is growing on an old stump behind my house? Fungus? Mushroom?
Have I mentioned how much I hate Japanese Beetles? They are finally moving on but I have been picking 150 to 200 beetles off my grapes, blackberries, peaches, ornamental plum & roses every single day.... This is what they are doing to the leaves 🤬🤬🤬🤬
Finally some pretty flowers.
Hope everyone is having a slendid day!

Heidi68 8 July 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wonderful fungus displaying its "flower" as it will then disperse its spores.

Mooolah Level 8 July 14, 2020

I was going to say Turkey Tail Mushrooms but I can't see if there are pores on the underside, could be False Turkey Tail if it doesn't have pores.

Surfpirate Level 9 July 10, 2020

if I remember I will try to get a couple of shots of the underside.

Do you drop the beetles in a bucket of soapy water?

freeofgod Level 8 July 10, 2020

yes.
Is it wrong that I get pleasure in knocking them in the bucket?

Freeze ;'em in a plastic bag & feed them to my chickens.

Looks like mushrooms...

Poisonous? No idea.. Ask a landscaper before eating ..

@Cutiebeauty I find them interesting to look at but am not a fan of eating them 😊

Heidi,
You need to add some chickens to your collection. They LOVE Japanese beetles. It was enjoyable to see those beetles being eaten by my girls.

Zoohome Level 8 July 10, 2020

I would love some chickens but between the wild cats, fox & raccoon I am not sure they would survive.

Wood fungus I think

bobwjr Level 10 July 10, 2020

I wish I had a recording of my Dad saying things like "Those damn fornicating bugs!" - he hated Japanese Beetles with a passion!

RavenCT Level 9 July 9, 2020

I may have said similar things 😁

@Heidi68 Hey the tradition lives on then! 😀

@RavenCT mine also may have contained the words .... f***ers & bastards. ......

The fungus is pretty. I thought you were getting all artsy on us with those nibbled out leaves. Not a collaboration apparently. Yeah, I'd hate them too.

MarkWD Level 7 July 9, 2020

I wish I was artsy and not bugs eating everything... 😥

It's a common fungi here and is all over in the fall. There are several terms for it an we call it 'Angel Wings' [first-nature.com] .

JackPedigo Level 9 July 9, 2020

That is a lovely and (picked while still tender) edible mushroom.. saute in butter!

AnneWimsey Level 9 July 9, 2020

not a mushroom fan but how do you know when it is tender? By feel?

@Heidi68 oh yes, they are very tender when first "out" but rapidly become hard like wood...thus the name. Wood fungus.

I am seeing Japanese beetles here, I noticed some yesterday on my basil. My poor basil, first bunnies and now beetles.

Raccoons dug up my basil.

@EdEarl I haven't seen raccoons here, yet. Thank goodness. I don't even seen squirrels. The neighborhood is not 20 years old yet.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 46

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top