Agnostic.com
4 10

Wild Gardening post, I spotted this Chicken of the Woods mushroom growing on an oak tree while out for a ride on my electric bike, so I harvested half of it and turned it into mushroom fritters, deep fried with a bit of spicy batter. Delicious and an easy wild edible to spot and eat safely.

Surfpirate 9 Sep 17
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We have several common edible mushrooms here, but I wish I'd seen some of these!

We used to hunt skull mushrooms in Spokane in the spring when I lived there. I am still reluctant to hunt without someone that knows much more than I do about mushroom.

@glennlab I know a few easy to spot edibles and if I don't recognize it as one of those, then I don't pick it. Morels are the tricky ones, delicious but if you pick the false morels you can make yourself very sick, not that hard to tell them apart but still something to be cautious about.

Looks great!! I love fritters especially peppers and onions. Can you post the recipe please? 🙂

Not much too it, just blend some flour (I used coconut flour because my wife is on a keto diet) with some cayenne pepper, seasoned salt and some pepper, coat the bite size pieces of mushroom in the mix and then dip in an egg and some cream beaten together, toss in a pan with oil, cook for about 4-5 minutes.

Looks delish! I have always been a little reluctant to pick mushrooms myself since I don't know which ones are good.

Chicken of the woods or sulfur shelf as it is also called is really easy to spot and nothing else really looks like it, often found on dead oak trees, always cook them as they do give sensitive people indigestion. Eating wild mushrooms raw is not a good idea and you do want to know what you are putting in your mouth when it comes to wild food.

Looks great - does it taste like chicken? lol

JackPedigo Level 9 Sep 17, 2020

The texture is like chicken breast and there is a slight lemon flavour.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 23

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top