Agnostic.com
10 18

Apologies. I plan to be slightly obnoxious with excessive posts of my garden blooms. Something about the added size of roses in particular, now that our scorching summer sauna heat is past. This morning I spotted this beauty. A six+ inch bloom of Buxom Beauty. And yes, it smells fantastic. 🤗

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Nov 21
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since we are into the long, cold, Grey months here, post away!

AnneWimsey Level 9 Nov 22, 2020

Beautiful!

Roses require vast amounts of effort to grow them in unfriendly environments. The UK, Newport Rhode Island, & western Oregon seem to have good growing conditions. I will add La. as well. Stunning photo. Props for converting to native habitat. So much of urban & suburban properties are an easy mono culture of the dreaded LAWN. The perfect green patch of shaved Kentucky bluegrass. Devoid of any support for wild things. Perhaps that is the point. The 1950's concept of dominating the natural world. DDT, straight canals, draining wetlands.....the LAWN.

Mooolah Level 8 Nov 22, 2020

Yup. "Progress." Progress has meant steadily killing the soil fertility and decimating the native food webs through lawns, monocultures, chemicals, and tons of invasive plant and insect species. Roses are one of those in between plants. Native in some form to almost all continents. All garden varieties are hybrids, so not exactly native, and not great as a nectar source. But plenty of bugs still find them useful, so meh.
Roses were my first gardening delight as a kid. And I learned a lot about them over the decades. Now that I am learning more about environment and sustainable gardening, they are my guilty pleasure still, but I seek better ways to have them as well as ecological diversity and harmony, to grow edibles, and help polinators.

Your roses are amazing! I fight black spot, then Japanese beetles, black spot again - by the end of the heat & humidity I still get flowers but the poor bushes don't look good....

Heidi68 Level 8 Nov 21, 2020

Oh I get blackspot, for sure. But get this.... I sprayed preventively for 40 years, thinking it was the only way. Two years ago, inspired by little steps into butterfly gardening, I decided to stop all chemical spraying. I have replaced all my most vulnerable roses with more disease resistant ones, and it has been okay! I now get blackspot on some, but only sporadically. I pull off the leaves at f I think of it. Otherwise I leave it alone. Survival of the fittest. Some of the new varieties have been terrifically disease resistant. Hybridizers have really focused on disease resistance the past decade, and it shows. 😊

Kordes, in Germany, has been one of the breeders leading the fight. This Buxom Beauty is a Kordes rose but from some years back. It is actually somewhat susceptible, but I love it enough to keep it. Mostly lower leaves seem to spot.

Since I stopped spraying, my yard has come alive. Lots of good preditor bugs, toads, hummingbirds, possums to add to the raccoons that always/already visited. And now I can underplant the roses with annual veggies without worry about toxins. Radishes, garlic, chives, and onions all have mild pest repellant value.

@MikeInBatonRouge i quit spraying a few years ago so I am up on that and I have kinda taken the - survival of the fittest attitude but my blooms this year were quite a bit smaller than normal.

That is such a beautiful color!

Spinliesel Level 9 Nov 21, 2020

Yes! Please! Keep being obnoxious and post those pictures of your gorgeous flowers. 😁 We love them.

RussRAB Level 8 Nov 21, 2020

That is one giant bloom.

freeofgod Level 8 Nov 21, 2020

Yeah, I don't think the variety name was accidental.

Beautiful

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 21, 2020

That''s gorgeous!

RavenCT Level 9 Nov 21, 2020

Stunningly gorgeous! The color is amazing.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 32

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top