Agnostic.com
5 16

I've done this, so satisfying...

phxbillcee 10 June 4
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha! Reminds me of the South Park episode

Adam_Metal Level 7 June 5, 2021

I wear an "Ankh" which means practically nothing except to the originators (the Egyptians) it meant the sun on the horizon. No cross. No beings. No death. No "rebirths" just the sun. The Ankh created quite a stir in ancient Egypt...

Google "The Egyptian" on you tube to see a 2 hour fiction (but reality based) story about it.

Robecology Level 9 June 5, 2021

The "Ankh" is not representative of the sun at all, there are two ancient Egyptian symbols that do mean that, the "Aten"(fig 2) and the "disc"(fig 1)
The word ankh means the key of life, it is the ultimate fertility symbol being made up of a stylised penis and testicles coming forth from a vagina, it is therefore wielded by the priests and the gods to bring forth abundance and is often used in both hieratic and hieroglyphic writing as the symbol for the word "life" (fig 3 Anubis holds the key to life and death)
This is why the early Christians stole it, to replace the Ichthys Icthus symbol (fig 4) which was too obviously related to the vesica pisces and ancient symbol for the womb and the vagina, symbolising birth and rebirth (fig 5) flattened out the top to make it purely a symbol of phallic worship more related to the ethos of the male dominated church.(fig 6)

@LenHazell53 Watch the movie, please, Len. You obviously haven't .

Michael Curtiz' film The Egyptian is loosely based on a novel by Finish author Mika Waltari and is a VERY loose retelling of the Amarna heresy of Akhenaton.
Mr Waltari was not an Egyptologist, nor was he a very good writer, Hollywood even less less well versed mixed up the name Ak-hen-Aton meaning servant of the Sun the word Ankh (life) and based their whole silly story around this mistake.
In reality Akhenaton banned the use of All Symbols of the ancient gods, replacing them with worship of the monotheistic great Aten or Aton the sun disk including the Ankh which was thought to be highly heretical and far too sexual.

@Robecology movies are not actual history........

@Robecology I have and it is garbage, historically, culturally and religiously inaccurate, you might as well claim Aida is an accurate depiction of ancient Egypt.
I have studied the 18th dynasty, thoroughly, from Hatshepsut to Tut-ankh-amun (The god Amun given life) formerly Tut-Ankh-aton (The Sun given life) the step son of Akhenaton.
When Akhenaton was murdered by the priest of the old religion the cult of Aten was was banned and all the old gods returned, Tut-ankh-Amun ruled for a only a short time before himself being killed and the 18th dynasty brought to an end.

@LenHazell53 Now you're talking wisdom...and if you are as learned as you suggest you know that the Ankh was established by Ahenaton. Young Tut (Tutankhaton) was last to "push" the symbol...which by his reign was seen as a rebellious one...and was then banned and the wearers of it ostracized.

Again...to me the ankh has no spiritual connection, just that it symbolizes the sun on the horizon...which, as a scientist...I appreciate.

@Robecology WTF are you talking about?
Tutankhaton was the birth name of Tut-Ankh-Amun, and was changed when he became a puppet ruler for the priesthood, as explained above. Of course he pushed the old symbols, his life depended on it.
If by Ahenaton (Who does not exist) you mean Akhenaton you are wrong. As was the film you seem to be basing your knowledge on who call him Akhnaton.
The Ankh as a religious symbol dates from the Early Dynastic Period (3150 - 2613 BCE) and early examples can be found even earlier than that in the pre-dynastic period, during the twin goddesses of the upper and lower Nile Wadjet and Nekhbet, worship periods. This was at least 2000 years before the time of the 18th dynasty.

If you are an honest scientist you ought to be more concerned with facts that with what "feels" appreciable

@LenHazell53 Thanks for correcting me. I was 13 when I first read about the Ankh in the "Egyptian" story....It must have been the late 50's....and I fell in love with the concept . Then I saw the movie andI was hooked...I had to have and wear an ankh.

Torture.....

think that's gonna come in handy

I must remember this one.

FrayedBear Level 9 June 5, 2021

It's one of my favorites.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 33

Photos 77,314 More

Posted by noworry28So no free gas ever.

Posted by glennlabParenting is hard when you're honest

Posted by glennlabI proudly served, even if it was reluctantly, for 6 years.

Posted by bookofmoronscouldn't hurt I guess

Posted by KilltheskyfairyHelpful memes…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyHelpful memes…

Posted by bookofmoronsBible science - love sending this to rapture nuts

Posted by noworry28Yeah, that's usually how it works. Knowledge and education allows one to free his or her mind to apply critical thinking.

Posted by glennlabOlder adults too, some of us never plan on growing old.

Posted by glennlabRobin still has words of wisdom.

Posted by noworry28Religion, the enemy of progress.

Posted by bookofmoronsNature never ceases to amaze me. the things you see at the Smithsonian

Posted by CliffordCookTell me again about how Easter is about Jesus rising from the grave like a zombie. I love that joke.

Posted by glennlabGive a hand up when you can.

Posted by glennlabBe on the look out.

Posted by Ryo1And that was God's plan! 😆

• Top tags#god #religion #religious #world #video #memes #friends #hope #Atheist #kids #reason #church #DonaldTrump #hell #cats #money #dogs #sex #Jesus #atheism #relationship #Bible #children #book #truth #Christian #beliefs #death #movies #parents #belief #evidence #animals #community #laws #agnostic #mother #wife #fear #humans #society #earth #faith #believer #religions #guns #Song #books #Christians #humor ...

Members 2,986Top

Moderators