Agnostic.com
7 3

This is horrible. Is this article accurate?

[allthatsinteresting.com]

Jetty 7 Aug 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Animal sacrifices were often a variation on a communal BBQ with religious overtones, the scent would go to heaven and the cooked meat would be shared among the community members. The consumption of meat in ancient agrarian societies was a special occasion and not the way we think of meat consumption today.
As to the human remains, I hope they were turned to ashes and not consumed by the priests, certainly cannibalism has been with us since the beginning. Makes a person wonder about the consumption of the body and blood of Christ in Christian religions.

Surfpirate Level 9 Aug 12, 2020

It's true. Human sacrifice was a familiar part of many religions. In fact that is the core of the story of Abraham and Isaac. It was basically saying, 'look we are so superior we won't make you sacrifice your kids'....Nice eh?

Amisja Level 8 Aug 11, 2020

All too true

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 9, 2020

Human sacrifice was fairly common in the ancient world. At least dozens of cultures/civilizations practiced it. Wikipedia seems to have a nice article on it. Grim business indeed, why it evolved in some places and times, I doubt it's super well understood. Jared Diamond had some unpleasant thoughts along those lines.

Druvius Level 8 Aug 9, 2020

I was listening recently to new information about the Mayans. A much, much bigger civilization than once thought. Yes, sometimes they would sacrifice children and then include adults to “look after them”. It seems the sacrifices didn’t work... the civilization still failed.

A lot of it is accurate..though I think overly dramatized by wording..

Charlene Level 9 Aug 9, 2020

I read similar articles in National Geographic , when I was small . In addition to the blood thirsty Mayans , who sacrificed captured enemies , I also remember a young boy of about 5 and a young preteen girl who were walked to the top of a mountain , heavily drugged , then buried alive and left to freeze to death , until the freeze dried bodies were discovered by archeologists .

Cast1es Level 9 Aug 9, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 33

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 662Top