Agnostic.com
5 1

There are some that want to remove the Capt Cook statues now. I understand it represents colonialism, exploitation, slavery, stolen generation and even genocide of our indigenous peoples. It pains me what Aboriginals have gone through and continue to go through and I feel ashamed for their treatment. At the same time, I want to feel proud of my Scottish/English heritage as well as being a proud Australian. I'm suddenly feeling like a fraud or criminal in my own country. HOw do I reconcile this cognitive dissonance? (I'm pissed and melancholy now so may delete ths tomorrow)

MsDemeanour 8 June 13
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So, considering that the Indigenous Natives here 'claim' to have been for some 40+ thousand years and also 'claim' to be the FIRST Inhabitants, then why do so many of their clans/tribes also have legends/stories of HOW their fore-fathers drove " the Tall Peoples," who they found were living here when they first arrived to extinction on the mainland or drove them across Bass Strait, as it is now called, and onto Tasmania?
Our present day Indigenous are great at screaming 'Invasion' but did NOT they too invade Australia to begin with according to THEIR OWN legends?
I'll probably be 'cursed' and vilified for this BUT recent and somewhat secretly done tests on the Mungo Man remains have shown that the skeleton belonged to a person of between 13 and 19 years of age, the Dna showed a close, but distant, strong link to the Masai peoples of Sth/Central Africa and very little Dna links to the Indigenous Aboriginals.
There have also been Archaeological/Anthropological Digs done in the 'Channel Country' regions where skeletal remains have been uncovered that also bear a very sharp and distinct resemblance to 'Mungo Man' both bone-wise and Dna-wise and those remains were NOT buried by human hands, they were killed and left to rot then buried by sand-storms, floods waters and the like some 38- 40,000 years ago.
This I know for a fact because I was at and assisting as both Cook and the Finds Registering Officer at 3 of these digs in 2019.
So, I ask, WHO 'invaded' Who first and BEFORE you start screaming White Racist at me, I HAVE the blood and heritage of both the Channel Country Indigenous Aboriginals and the Myall Creek Aboriginals running through my veins.

Triphid Level 9 June 13, 2020

The whole Of European civilisation was bankrolled by the African slave trade.

We must own it and make amends where possible.

We must also acknowledge the same in Asian sweatshops. For every cut price clothing item you buy from KMart you are buying into the same travesty of slave trade economics.

Own it if you wish to continue its legacy!

Geoffrey51 Level 8 June 13, 2020

Yep and England was running the the Slave Trade from Africa right from the outset, they were running Slave Ships to Europe, the West Indies, the East Indies, North America, the U.S.A. in particular, and even to England itself.
The U.S. importation of African Slaves wound down once Southern States Plantation Owners saw that breeding and selling slaves was far more lucrative in the long run than importing them.
And lets not forget that Australia had its own little 'Black-birders' trade going as well.
Hundreds were enslaved and brought in to work the Cane fields of Queensland, they were known as Kanaks and brought in from the Melanesian/Polynesian Islands.
But hey, P.M. ScumMo stated PUBLICLY that there was NEVER any Slavery in Australian History didn't he, that was until, a couple of days later he did an encore of his and the LNP's Olympic Medal Grade Gymastics 'Back-flip' routines and apologised and withdrew his very erroneous previous comment.

The world needs a "Truth and Reconciliation" forum. We have to stop teaching patriotism and such bs ... If one accepts patriotism one cannot condenm the same phenomenon when it occurs on the "opposing" side.

yes i agree. But I think we might be a tad idealistic

@MsDemeanour Alas .. but it is hope that keeps us alive: "Be realistic - Demand the impossible"

@MsDemeanour we must always aim for the ideal and hope we get to "good enough".
what else is there to aim for?

Forget pride and shame! ... Accept that our ancestors did the dirty deeds from which many now benefit.

There's nothing new about countries invading and imposing their will on other nations. I'm not averse to making recompense but if you think it is a thing of the past, your nuts.

Never had much time for statues. Take 'em all away!

Coffeo Level 8 June 13, 2020

not a lover of art? You want to include Michelangelo's David?

Tho i get what you're sayng. It's more about the subject than the artist. I have absolutely no interest in seeing statues of footballers

To be honest, even David doesn't do much for me. But maybe let him stay.

@Coffeo Philistine! .

@MsDemeanour Rodin can stay too.

@MsDemeanour I think in most cases we can distinguish between statues and sculptures.

@Coffeo What about portraits?

@MsDemeanour Mostly OK. They're not quite as in-your-face as statues.

@Coffeo Not as many of the queen as when I was a kid.

@MsDemeanour You're right. They used to be all over the place.

@Coffeo I've been thinking that I don't like statues either. Sculptures yes, but statues to commemorate someone is a bit of a wank. Ghandi was a racist. Luther-King beat his wife. No one is perfect. And those 'Living statues' are downright creepy.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 10

Photos 150 More

Posted by 1patriotthey are creating a 15 Cities all along this coast in Australia

Posted by 1patriotthunder writes: I remember early in the pandemic when there was a protest outside the hospital (Toronto Canada).

Posted by vocaloldfart Is this the way of the future?

Posted by vocaloldfartIf you think times were tough under the LNP Mafiosa in the previous years, Give Dutton the disastrous destroyer the vote in the next election, and look foreward to worse to come.

Posted by vocaloldfartMichael Pascoe: And the award for the worst Liberal leader goes to… ?

Posted by vocaloldfartDingoes elevated to 'almost-human' status in pre-colonial Australia .

Posted by vocaloldfartVanadium batteries’ sustainable energy hailed as key to solar revolution Vanadium could be the answer to using solar and wind round the clock, silencing critics who say they’re useless when the...

Posted by FrayedBearThis amused me. How about you? "Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." Charles Shulz

Posted by FrayedBearNine chairman, and former Australian Treasurer, Peter Costello is now promoting war with China after making $millions lobbying for defence companies BY SHANE DOWLING ON MARCH 12, 2023

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearWhat a con - mRNA vaccinations?

Posted by FrayedBearWhy is the Murdoch media not widely reporting this apparent scandal that should prevent the NSW Premier being re-elected for a further 4 years?

Posted by vocaloldfartsign of the times

• Top tags#Australia #government #video #world #god #religious #hope #friends #laws #politicians #religion #money #minister #federal #media #reason #DonaldTrump #children #liberal #politics #community #rights #Police #Atheist #military #evidence #death #Christian #Jesus #China #hell #church #atheism #policy #USA #corruption #parents #youtube #truth #vote #book #religions #kids #dogs #justice #faith #agnostic #trolls #movies #population ...

Members 429Top