Agnostic.com
2 3

“This is a virus that we need to eliminate”—Dr. Deepti Gurdasani condemns “herd immunity” policies

[wsws.org]

{DG:And that makes it very complicated. I think there needs to be a level of honesty around this. This is not a threshold we will likely be able to reach through vaccination or contain the pandemic through vaccination alone, unless we develop a next generation of vaccines that are effective against these newer variants, which may well happen. But it’s unlikely to be able to keep up with virus evolution unless we prevent new variants from evolving.}

{DG: I think several factors are at play; There are values at play, there are ideologies at play, and there are vested interests that are clearly influencing our governments who don’t have a public interest at heart.

When we talk about the values, I think rather than the values of protecting public health and compassion, many governments have had values of short-term economic gains and have unfortunately not realized that there is no dichotomy between public health and the economy and the countries that have managed to protect the economies the most are the ones that have gotten on top of the virus and managed to contain it.

I think the second thing is ideology. I think there is a lot of libertarian ideology that has influenced governments, particularly in the West, and exceptionalism, where there has been a certain arrogance in not learning lessons from many parts of the world that we could have learned lessons from, and that were affected earlier than us in the pandemic and responded much better.

And I think there are actually disinformation groups and vested interests. And we’ve seen this, for example, the Great Barrington Declaration that came out sometime last year and had a massive influence in policy in many different parts of the world, including the UK, by our senior officials who met with proponents of the Great Barrington Declaration. For those who are unfamiliar with it, they essentially promoted an idea of focused protection of the vulnerable by some sort of shielding and letting the virus spread to the rest of the population for them to develop herd immunity through natural infection. This was obviously unscientific and completely unethical, which has been shown repeatedly now in real world experience as well.

But it’s an idea that’s permeated the consciousness and policy of many countries, including Sweden, I think the Netherlands, certainly the UK and much of the West, which has been quite disappointing to see given there were very positive examples that we could have followed quite early on. And even now it’s not too late to follow those examples.}

William_Mary 8 Aug 3
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Experts have been saying for a while that herd immunity isn't likely attainable. People keep saying we all just need to get vaccinated and it will fix it. Wrong. They keep saying the unvaccinated are the reason for the mutated strains. Wrong. COVID started mutating in December of 2020, before mass production and administering of the vaccines. We have like 9 mutated strains already. COVID isn't the flu at all, but the flu mutates new strains all the time. Tons of people get vaccinated for the flu. In 2019, 175m people got vaccinated for the flu. Every year it mutates. It's going to be the same with COVID. It's the new normal. We will have to get vaccinated for it every year depending on how long the anti-bodies last. The only thing we can hope for is that our immune systems get better at protecting us from COVID and it's effectiveness against us turns into the flu's effectiveness against us. Of course, the most elderly amongst us will always be at greater risk, just as always. I have no idea if that will happen. I'm sure the experts have no idea if that will happen either.

Absolutely, this is a horrible disease with long term or permanent health deficits for people who get it, health issues we are still learning about. it's not a freaking cold or flu.

Druvius Level 8 Aug 3, 2021

Recent Visitors 9

Photos 120 More

Posted by William_MaryIf You Wish Someone a Happy Memorial Day, You Fail to Understand Its True Meaning The mythology perpetuated at Memorial Day benefits no one save the militarists and war profiteers.

Posted by LufahyuMedia Sources; people from all walks and ideologies peruse a variety of source material available on the Internet, some more reliable than others.

Posted by joy2loveThe Neuroscience of Illusion - Scientific American

Posted by CherokeemanBlessings y'all.

Posted by Archeus_LoreA good meme for religious people to see . . . .

Posted by William_MaryIt has been questioned if Einstein actually made this statement.

Posted by William_Mary“The ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas, i.

Posted by William_MaryHowever we have an escape-------[wsws.org]

Posted by William_MaryKeep people from their history, and they are easily controlled.

Posted by William_MaryThis fairly explains our political woes within our citizenry when it comes to the voting process that's managed within only 2 parties with their perceptions managed by propaganda designed to support ...

Posted by William_MaryI can pretty much apply this thought to just about everyone who has attempted to challenge my agenda here in this group, and my comments on social media in regards to our political arena.

Posted by William_MaryBy Apr.

Posted by William_MaryThe working class holds the strength to change the world for a better society for everyone. We just need to refuse to remain indoctrinated into their manufactured delusional reality.

Posted by William_MaryWhen the state is controlled by corporations and the ruling class.

Posted by of-the-mountainHas sanity and respect for all female, male, and children’s healthcare been suspended by these obstructionists republican fascists with their overt agenda against the people of this country!!! Are ...

Posted by William_MaryWorld's Most Tyrannical Regime Can't Stop Babbling About "Human Rights" We saw the change in coverage because Washington and its imperial spinmeisters only care about human rights abuses insofar as...

• Top tags#world #DonaldTrump #government #media #video #society #money #republicans #democrats #truth #death #military #laws #USA #reason #democratic #god #policy #evidence #vote #politics #politicians #children #hope #hell #BernieSanders #rights #created #campaign #corporate #population #fear #religion #BarackObama #community #Police #book #TheTruth #friends #Russian #religious #relationship #China #economic #capitalism #nation #freedom #propaganda #kids #wars ...

Members 1,703Top