Agnostic.com

7 2

What does the word 'atheism' mean to you?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is simply no God that they had ever seen, and they are "believing in a God" just in case! And they "refuse to think beyond or outside of the box" ...and were taught and just going along with the crowd "thinking or saying blindly" there is a God with no empirical proof! Blind faith or either everyone is right about a God (which God is right?) or everyone is wrong about a God! I simply believe there no God and we would be all puppets here if a God existed!

I find it odd. I've encountered the line "I am an atheist because I see no evidence of god" or similar. Yet, we live in a reeeeally big universe, that we know very little about.
I find it a tad close-minded to state unequivocally that there is absolutely nothing/no-one in the entire universe that could be classed as a deity. I mean, there is truckloads of stuff that we haven't yet figured out about our own planet. Seems arrogant, to me, to claim that nowhere, anywhere, could there possibly exist a deity. Where is the evidence, that no gods exist and/or never have?
But it's highly likely that I simply don't understand something simple. Past form would suggest so.

Not much, really, I mean, it's just like I'm also an adraconist (I don't believe in dragons) and afairist (I don't believe in fairies). I live in a material world and I don't believe in things for which no proper proof has been given.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I would echo ToakReon; i.e., atheism to me means without god(s)

What strength it must take to live without God.. What freedom it is to live without idols... As Aristippus told his Daughter: Never set a value on anything you can live without..

Atheism to me means that I am not bound by an unevolving construct that dictates my life choices.

To believe that there is no god.

A (meaning 'not'😉 theist (meaning 'person who believes in an interactive, supernatural being).

If you do not believe in an interactive god, you are an atheist.

I would substitute "personal" with "interactive" although I understand why you used "interactive." Deists were/are theists, but they generally didn't/don't believe in human-divine interaction being possible. They believe in a god as creator (the "clockmaker god" ), but not in his/her/its willingness to intervene in his/her/its creation. So there's no point in asking the deist God to do anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.