Agnostic.com

4 2

Have you heard about Terror Management Theory?

Have you heard about TMT and what do you think about it? I stumbled on it after reading Earnest Becker's "Denial of Death," and happen to think Becker was onto something.

Pariah 6 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It has been around for centuries

Ernest Becker is well known for his theory that immortality is a basic desire in all men, conscious or unconscious.

"Death creates an anxiety in humans; it strikes at unexpected and random moments, and its nature is essentially unknowable, causing people to spend most of their time and energy to explain, forestall, and avoid it." Wikipedia

His theory somewhat resembles Freud's Beyond the Pleasure Principal, were life is basically comprised of two drives, the sex drive (or creative drive) and the death drive (or violence), forces that comprise the libido. Becker thought the fear of death is a basic human fear, unlike Freud who called death a drive which (as I understand it) is a headless bundle of instincts.

cava Level 7 July 5, 2018

I've looked into the face of death.
Now, death fears me.
😉

Fear of death coming before achieving all ones goals, it is a type of psychosis.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.