Agnostic.com

148 5

What was your worst experience with religious people?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

148 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I said, "there's no evidence for the existence of God(s) and that's why I don't believe in any." and they said, "whatever, all Atheists deserve to die."

But, any time I talk to a theist my head hurts from stupidity.

I've met mean and kind people from just about every major religion. The nicest I've met have been Sikhs and Buddhists and the meanest have been Christians.

An employer once said to me, "I want to help you with your Jesus-thing." He is a deacon at his church and he is the most vile human I've ever encountered. It seems to me that the ones who are most vocal about their religions are the ones who are the most corrupt and hypocritical.

True. So true.

They pressurize.

You mean they pressure you like sales people and networkers ramming their amazing products down your throat

Exactly!!! sometimes,,,

When someone told me that if I had God I wouldn't be so fearful of spiders... To which I realized they were serious and I proceeded to explain to them that fear is a natural human emotion.

More people have fears and aversions to spiders than any other creature on earth. Fact.

Wow.

Being beaten by the sheriff and run out of town to protect my children's souls.

Jake Level 1 Oct 15, 2017

I went to Easter services at bethel temple because they were offering a free ham. (I was poor back then). At the end of an hour of hearing how reprobate we all were, some of the women pulled me up to the front to pray for me. They were all speaking in tongues and crying. I was surrounded, so I made a deal with their God. If he let me go home that day, i would never go back. I got home and never went back! πŸ˜‰ the truth is that I was really scared while those women were carrying on. It was weird.

Cheri Level 5 Oct 27, 2017

But did you get the ham?

I did πŸ˜‰

Before I officially transitioned from Christian to Agnostic I worked at a "Non-Denominational" Christian University. The bulk of the staff there was very conservative but there were exceptions. One day, after admitting to supporting liberal politics I was told by a co-worker that no one can be both liberal and Christian, that they were mutually exclusive and all true Christians were conservative/Republican. (Oddly enough it wasn't long before I ceased to be a Christian, but I don't believe my particular story validates her belief.)

Oh lawdy! I made the mistake to confiding in a hellfire brimstone preacher. Much to my horror, I was the subject of his next sermon. I was much younger and much more vulnerable then and I had to undergo therapy to undo all the crap they caused. One therapists asked me a question that immediately broke the spell: she asked, "Are these people whom you would go to for an other kind of advice?" I started laughing and said NO! That was it, they never bothered me again. Science and critical thinking have a tendency to squash the religious nonsense.

I wouldn't hate yourself for what happened. I have read some books on how cults work and they don't just target the weak and vulnerable. They have powerful psychology that they use to manipulate unsuspecting people, some of which are intelligent and come from good environments. The good news is that there are ways to protect yourself. By learning how cults manipulate people, you can protect yourself by recognizing the techniques they use. One of the best books I read on cults was "Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steve Hassan. He goes into cults, how they work, and how to recover from them. I am sorry to hear this happened to you though.

Molestation by a religious teacher when I was 9 or ten.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

This is something I would hesitate to click the Like button for in response; I am very dismayed and saddened that this happened to you, and to so many other children.

Sue the bastard.

It would be a long story to tell, so I will just say it was when my parents shunned me

How awful is that. Have you recovered to any degree?

@Hominid I have not recovered...or I wouldn't probably mention it. My father passed away 2 years ago. I sorta was forced to speak to my mother at his funeral but other than that I have not spoken to her since. She repeatedly says hateful things about me (and a few others in the family who no longer "keep the faith". I am not the only one who chooses to stay away from her. Not a day passes that I don't think about how my parents treated me. I hope to not feel like I have to go to her funeral when her time is up.

not much to be considered worst, no physical assault of any kind . . . except for the thought that most of religious folks I've known and have met don't practice what they preach

A very close friend found out I was an Athiest and refused to see me for several years. I bumped into him once one a trip to Aspen I got the chance finally to ask him, How did you not know I was an Athiest, I'm so vocal about it. He said "well I knew you didn't believe I just didn't know you were an Athiest. I laughed and said That's all an Athiest is. We aren't baby eaters. We're people just like you who happen not to believe that one thing.

Being exorcised by a bunch of fanatical Christians.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

Oh, so many. From my mother being thrown out of the church for divorcing my cheating, drug addicted father to the hypocrisy of today. It also kills me to hear them thank the sky daddy for 'saving them or someone' when others die or suffer horribly.

I was going to go on a job interview and a born again Christian was going to help me, pre-interview because he worked there. He told me that if the people who drove the planes into the World Trade Center accepted Christ as their savior right before they died, they would go to heaven. But if someone who didn't accept Christ (I was born Jewish, so he was speaking about everyone in my family) lived a wonderful and good and decent life, they would go to hell. I don't even remember the what the job would have been. I just remembered his reasoning. Say you accept Christ and all is forgiven.

I said that I don't know whether there is a god or not, and they looked at me as I was a weirdo. they didn't talk to me ever since.

Kero Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

I had a baptist minister and some of his congregation show up at my door. They were going door to door to invite people to their church. At the time I still considered myself Christian. I told him that I didn't normally go to Church but thank you. He than went off on how I was going to Hell but worse since it was my responsibility to show my family the way, I was leading them to Hell also. I shut the door in his face at that point.

No one has any right to judge you!!! Much less tell you you're going to hell! "Judge not, lest you be judged", It's said. Some Christians are going to be very surprised IF they get to heaven to see who actually go admitted there! Say that next time someone tells you you're going to hell!

On YouTube a bunch of Christians were discussing how gross it was when when to gay people kissed. Don't you think that's kind of offensive. Also my younger cousin is being lured into church because they give out teddy bears!

Teddy bears! They now also have stuffed kittens...

A few days ago at a smoke shop: I give my ID and the cashier, who looked at my jewish-muslim name and was like ''are you Muslim?'' to which I answered ''I am atheist'' and he was like ''what are you doing in the US?'' and I go ''studying'' to which he replied ''honestly I don't get why certain men don't give an education, values or principles to their daughters and just send them on the other side of the world like this'' pointing his fingers at me. I felt so disgusted and left without saying a word, it was horrible and I had never felt more uncomfortable before.

That is awful. What an idiot. I hope you boycott that particular shop and tell everyone you know what happened. Vote with your dollars!

This is an interesting question with many possible answers: My own unpleasant first experience was when a crazy theist really got mad at me for not buying his "Jesus is god!" assertion. He spent a great deal of time Yelling "But what about the flowers?" inches from my face. All I could do was smile and I laugh at him as he was not at all rational and receptive to any argument. The other experience significantly more sad that comes to mind is when I demolished the foundation of a theists' belief structure. I became annoyed at this guy for cornering me at the YMCA locker room while I was trying to get ready for the shower with his exuberant "Did you know Jesus is the truth and there can only be one truth and that truth is Jesus because there can only be one truth!" I decided I did not like this so I spent a great deal of time demonstrating his assertion was baseless. and carefully disassembling his argument. At first it was fun - watching his red happy face fade to a stone grey sullen expression. But I really hurt him 😟 for several month after whenever he would see me at the "Y" he would, at varying levels, assume a defensive crouched position and make the sound of a dog that had been beaten. I really do feel sorry for the guy as he was a nice person that (I found this out later) had suffered a stroke, lost his wife, house, and good paying job. Haven't seen him in years as he no longer goes to the YMCA.

This is sad,and a lesson for all of us. Sometimes I have to remind myself that sometimes a person's desperation is such that religious belief, as absurd as it seems, is all they have to cling to. That's a tough one -- I can really relate to the annoyance you felt as well as the sorrow you experienced afterwards. Part of being human.

That would be when my sister,( the religious nut who has been married four times), went to my husband's hospital bed and began preaching. She then came to me and asked about final arrangements. I said at this point, Ken was sick but not dead! She then proceeded to talk about god and the hereafter. I threw her out and haven't spoken to her since. After my husband died, she called to say she was "there for me". I figured that meant she wanted a door opened so she could just start preaching again. I've lived as an atheist for a long time and do not intend to switch sides in the hope that something else will carry me through.

When they voted together as a group to elect a totally unqualified candidate for president. It may be the undoing of the country in the end.

I didn't think of this as it wasn't a personal attack on me. But yes -- I totally concur! And all the rest of the harm the religious right is responsible for politically in this country.

And I would have to say also most terrorist acts including 9/11 and Oklahoma City were committed by religious people. Thank you.

When I was told the difference between god & the devil was that god could read my mind & the devil could not.

I would have asked to a bible quote to support that!

My worst "in-person" experience occurred while I myself was still religious. While in high school, I invited a friend to come to the church youth activities with me. The Young Women's leader saw her as an outsider from whom she needed to protect her "flock" because she was an openly butch lesbian. This leader and the bishop spoke with her and told her that she would not be welcome back at church unless she made changes to her dress and behavior. She then told me that she wasn't interested in attending a church where she wasn't accepted for who she was. While this was directed at her rather than myself, I was emotionally crushed.

Online, I once received a legitimate death threat from someone who admitted to having killed his brother for being gay.

That's harsh...

I'm thankful I can't remember anything personally, but my daughter, who was raised with no religion (and honestly, I don't know what she considers herself) has often been told by classmates that she is going to hell. She wears a beautiful pentacle pendant we bought at some Renaissance Fair, and was once told by a complete stranger that she was going to hell because of that. She's been asked if she's a Satanist.

However, she does celebrate a secular version of xmas, but her tree is black. πŸ˜€

That’s is so funny and bold for her to do that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.